cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tunnels on WA Hwy 14, Columbia Gorge

daved525
Explorer
Explorer
We are headed up to the Gorge with our Phaeton, camping on the WA side of the Gorge. There are some low tunnels there---12'6" and 13'3" according to Good Sam. Anyone have experience with a MH on the stretch from Stevenson to The Dalles bridge on WA Hwy 14? I've seen many trucks and MH go through there, and local RV parks assure me there is no problem---just hug the centerline (tunnels have circular roofs, rising from road edge to center). But I'm nervous. Tiffin says overall height of Phaeton (air cond) is 12'7".

Thanks

Dave
18 REPLIES 18

JT
Explorer
Explorer
Other posters have cautioned against crossing the White Salmon/Hood River bridge with an 'large RV'; I agree. I did cross the bridge in a widebody class C, 116" total. The crossing did require concentration, I must say, (:E) particularly since the surface is 'steel grate'! This is from the Hood River Bridge website:

"This is a very NARROW bridge. The width of a lane from center is 9 feet, 10-3/4 inches. The width of a lane between the edge of the centerline stripe to the face of the bridge guardrail is 9 feet, 4-3/4 inches. Large RVs are advised to cross at Cascade Locks or The Dalles. The height restriction is 14 feet 7 inches."

Crossing at the Dalles or Cascade Locks is a much smarter move!

EB_Expedition
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. I feel more comfortable about driving the Gorge now. Safe travels to all.

daved525
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for replies. I didn't realize there was a walk tunnel under the tracks & trail to the river, but now I see it on Google Earth. Will have to check that out. Just to clarify, we aren't there now---heading up from N Calif in a few days. We go every year, but always in years past with a travel trailer. This will be our first time with the MH.

ghsebldr
Explorer
Explorer
Dave if you haven't done it yet take a walk down to the river from your park. Nice little beach there. Exit your park on the southeast corner (along the fence line) down a steep hill thru a walk tunnel under the tracks. Enjoy the trains tonight too.

rbtglove
Explorer
Explorer
Lived on the WA side near Bingen in the Gorge for years. Drove a big truck through them many times. Just try to avoid two big rigs at the same time. I'd be more concerned about going over the Hood River Bridge than throught the tunnels. Cross winds can be dangerous coming out of these tunnels also so be careful. That thing is a real mess needs to be replaced. I take our TT over it but do it very carefully no place for a big rig. The old highway from on the OR side is also no place for a big rig either. The bridge of the Gods is a lot better place to cross the river but the Dalles is the best.
Bob/Beavercreek OH
2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ/Trail Lite 8230

legsnred
Explorer
Explorer
Pulled my 37 ft Everest 5th wheel with my F-450 down that road many times with no problems. Like someone said hug the center line going thru the tunnels. Think am about 53 ft long hooked up.
:,)2003 F-350 4X4 PSD 2006 Everest 344J

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
You need to look at a more detailed map, such as online Google or your GPS, to see where US30 runs separate from I84. On GM you can turn on terrain mode, and even look at the road itself with Streetview. If it is running straight and close to I84 it probably is good RV driving. But it won't add much in terms of scenery. But where it twists and turns in the hills south of I84, it is better in a smaller more nimble vehicle. The main scenic stretch is between Hood River and Portland. Here the Gorge is deepest, and waterfalls abound.

US30 gives you an upclose view of these falls and the surrounding forest. WA14 gives a broad view of these slopes from across the river. I84 gives a view of the gorge ahead of you, but it is hard to see much of the slopes above you.

daved525
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for replies. We're staying at Bridge RV park, right next to the Hood River bridge. I'd be afraid to take the MH over that bridge---tight enough with our full size van. So only options to get to the park are tunnels from the west or a tunnel from the east. I've seen many big MH's in the park, all with roofs intact. So we should be OK...

We'll also try the stretch of old Hwy 30 in the toad---haven't done that yet & it sounds great!

EB_Expedition
Explorer
Explorer
Several people have recommended taking I84 and not taking a big rig on I30. It's been many years since we've been to the Gorge area and are planning to go to The Dalles. We have a new Class A, 35ft plus toad (former TTers). I noticed on the Rand/McNalley map that I84 and I30 overlap most of Gorge between Portland and The Dalles, with some sections of I30 separated from I84. Are there only small sections of this highway that are not recommened? Can someone please clarify. Also, thanks for the information regarding the Hood River Bridge.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
To get the best of all routes take the toad/tow one way on WA14, back on US30, and then I84 with the full rig.

And if you have time for another round trip take OR35 and US26 around the east and south sides of MT Hood, and Wind River Rd, FS90, WA503 up towards Mt St Helens.

ghsebldr
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know the tunnel heights but I do know that crossing from north to south or the other way around on the Hood River bridge is risky. That bridge is VERY narrow. Lost a mirror to oncoming traffic there last summer. The toll person said that happens all the time.(after I went back to report the incident, they don't mention mirror safety when you stop to pay your toll and head over but are happy to tell you how often it happens when you go back to report it) Toads

ParkCountry
Explorer
Explorer
In my opinion, that road is too narrow and too curvy for a MH. Personally, I'd unhitch the Toad and use that to tour that stretch of the Scenic Road, not to mention that parking would be difficult for the MH if you want to stop at Vista House. At least those were my impressions the last time we went through there (2001). But do definitely take that road. It is AWESOME. With the fires burning in Washington state, I suspect that views of the Columbia River Gorge will be marginal.

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, I'm talking of Rt.30 on the Oregon side west of 'The Dalles' where it is between the Interstate & the river where everyone goes to stop at each of the falls.
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maybe jolooote is thinking of the old scenic Gorge hwy, US30, as opposed to I84.

Funny how some RV insist on taking interstates where possible, while others avoid them, preferring to 'see the countryside'.