cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US189 around Salt Lake City UT?

Smooth_Sailn
Explorer
Explorer
I'm pulling a 40' 5er headed north thru Cedar City UT on 15 and headed east on I 80. Google maps is suggesting that I take US 189 around Salt Lake City. What do you think? Should I take it or stay on the interstate?
5 REPLIES 5

GaryUT
Explorer II
Explorer II
I know it's too late to suggest this to the OP, hopefully someone else can use the info.

Another route is interstate 15 to highway 89 in Farmington, and then 89 to interstate 84.

It adds about 30 miles to the route but there are no big hills to climb on interstate 84. Interstate 84 joins 80 at Echo.

Gary
2019 Keystone Laredo 255SRL
2009 GMC Sierra 2500 4x4 Crew cab short bed

Smooth_Sailn
Explorer
Explorer
boogie_4wheel wrote:
I'd continue north on the 15 into Salt Lake City, then head east on I-80. Do not take the I-215 EB loop.

Here's why:
1. 189 is a twisty climb, but not a hard climb. Nice scenery though (drive right past Bridal Veil Falls). At Deer Creek Resv the road is hilly/twisty. Then you have the stop lights in Heber. Long climb out of Heber as you pass Jordanelle Resv. Depending on time of day you may encounter a bunch of traffic heading home to Heber.

2. Avoid the I-215 EB loop because you will have a climb, followed by a decent that you have to brake on while navigating the exit to access the 80 EB.

3. The I-15 to 80 EB exit is a sweeping turn then you only have one major pull, and that is up Parley's Canyon as you head toward Snyderville.

The easiest to navigate, maintain speed, and most likely will warrant the best fuel economy will be the I15 to I80. The most scenic is the 189 route.

Thanks,
That is exactly what I did. I-15 to I-80. I talked to a truck driver in Love's in Provo just before the 189 turn off. He told me the same thing. He said it is a nice drive but would add hours to the trip.

boogie_4wheel
Explorer
Explorer
I'd continue north on the 15 into Salt Lake City, then head east on I-80. Do not take the I-215 EB loop.

Here's why:
1. 189 is a twisty climb, but not a hard climb. Nice scenery though (drive right past Bridal Veil Falls). At Deer Creek Resv the road is hilly/twisty. Then you have the stop lights in Heber. Long climb out of Heber as you pass Jordanelle Resv. Depending on time of day you may encounter a bunch of traffic heading home to Heber.

2. Avoid the I-215 EB loop because you will have a climb, followed by a decent that you have to brake on while navigating the exit to access the 80 EB.

3. The I-15 to 80 EB exit is a sweeping turn then you only have one major pull, and that is up Parley's Canyon as you head toward Snyderville.

The easiest to navigate, maintain speed, and most likely will warrant the best fuel economy will be the I15 to I80. The most scenic is the 189 route.
2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

keepingthelight
Explorer
Explorer
We did a few years back on our way to Mt. Rushmore. Nice highway with a small grade.

Have fun 😉
05 Tiffin Phaeton 40 QDH w/4 slides
CAT C7 350+ HP MP-8, Aero Muffler, AFE Filter
06 HHR LT Toad
Ready Brute Elite

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Judging by google maps, and other posts in this forum, it looks like a real nice scenic drive.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman