cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Utah-north to south trip

kopy_kat
Explorer
Explorer
looking ahead to May 2015....going to leave Logan Utah and head south on HWY 15 and we want to see as much of the southern part of the state as possible--Arches National Park and Zion Park...and where ever else anyone suggests we should see---driving a Ford F350 with a 32 Ft 5th wheel...looking for best routes and suggestions on places to stay...we like to travel around 250-300 miles per day max...will be newly retired so time is not a factor (finally)...

thanks in advance,
Larry
2013 Flagstaff 8528ikws---"Camp MiMiPaPa"
5 REPLIES 5

RaenMark
Explorer
Explorer
I like johnna's routing. See the whole southern part of the state and move up in altitude at the same time, staying cooler. I might do it different, but what the heck. Beautiful country, enjoy. A couple I didn't see mentioned are Goosenecks State Park, Dead Horse Point State Park, Kodachrome Basin State Park, and Cedar Breaks National Monument, above Cedar City UT.
Rae & Mark
Bountiful, UT
2005 Alfa See Ya 40
Finally found a rig I can stand up in!

kopy_kat
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for the suggestions and ideas---please keep them coming !!

Larry
2013 Flagstaff 8528ikws---"Camp MiMiPaPa"

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
kopy kat wrote:
looking ahead to May 2015....going to leave Logan Utah and head south on HWY 15 and we want to see as much of the southern part of the state as possible--Arches National Park and Zion Park...and where ever else anyone suggests we should see---driving a Ford F350 with a 32 Ft 5th wheel...looking for best routes and suggestions on places to stay...we like to travel around 250-300 miles per day max...will be newly retired so time is not a factor (finally)...

thanks in advance,
Larry

Since time will be no longer a big factor how about dropping into northern part of Arizona for Pipe Springs NM, it's good for a day venture. Nearby is a RV park making for a good base camp to go into the Tuweap Area for the day. This is part of the Grand Canyon (north), most of the road is graded dirt till you reach the national park boundary, it's a bit bumpy after that but very doable. Here you can look upon the Colorado 3000 feet down and there are no guard rails.

From Pipe Springs NM there is either heading to the North Grand Canyon Village or to Zion via Highway 89. If you decide to take in the North Grand Canyon village PM me back and I'll tell you a easy boon docking spot that places you about 5 miles from the park entrance. Back to Zion, Mount Carmel on Ut89 has RV parks, I find that many RVers with large rigs don't want drive their rigs through the tunnel, Tunnel information.

There is a restaurant on the way into Zion NP called

leaving Zion NP on Ut89 north to Ut12 ,Scenic Ut12, Ut12 will take you by and to several nation parks, forest, state parks and county. Ut12 ends in Torrey,Ut. and you go east from there on Ut24, this will take you to Capital Reef NP. Keep following Ut24 to Interstate 70 east to Ut.191 into Moab. I would suggest staying at Arch View RV Park
due to it's central location (we've stayed there) to Arches NP, Canyonlands NP and Dead horse point state park

If you have any questions about the above information just PM me.
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

3LittleDucks
Explorer
Explorer
No advice, but try to camp in Arches if you can. Absolute gem of a campground.
2008 Nissan Armada TV
2007 Trail Cruiser 21RBH HTT

johnna
Explorer
Explorer
Suggest that you head south first before the weather gets hot. Visit Zion than east to Lake Powell.

From there move over to San Juan county and visit Monument Valley on the way. In San Juan County, stay at the Cadillac RV Park in Bluff and visit Hovenweep Natl Monument, Valley of the Gods, Natural Bridges Natl Monument.

Then move over to Cortez, CO and visit Mesa Verde.

From Cortez, move to Moab and visit Canyonlands and Arches. Plan on staying at least a week there.

From Moab, move to Torrey to visit Capital Reef. From there go to Bryce before heading back north.

:C
2004 Ford 350 Super Duty 2W Dirve Long Bed PU
2008 327RLT Montana Mountaineer 35 ft. 5th wheel
2005 Alaska and other Trip Logs