cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Valley of the Gods Road question.

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
I understand one can park pretty much where ever they want inside Valley of the Gods since it's BLM land. What is the road like inside V of the G pulling a 27 foot trailer. In other words, how far in can one go before they have to drop the trailer? I presume it isn't conducive to drive the entire length pulling a trailer.

On a related note, I know Goose Neck SP isn't far away. I could drop the trailer there, and then drive the 4x4 truck tour Valley of the Gods. However, I noticed there are very few campsites at Goose Neck. Does that park see a lot of visitors. I would be there on a Monday and Tuesday of the 3rd week in June.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch
23 REPLIES 23

daireemt
Explorer
Explorer
Desert Captain wrote:
Third week in June? Seriously? Anyone else think it might just be a tad warm? :h

:B

I know my DW & I are in the tiny minority of people on this forum who can take a lot of heat and aren’t to worried about summer temps, (even in semi-desert conditions.). We very rarely use our camper A/C— Upper 80s to mid 90s aren’t a real big deal to us.
Just another point of view......:)
Daireemt--"I thought it would take longer to get old."
Dear Wife of 37.5 years
2004.5 Chevy Duramax
2007 Jayco 28.5 RLS

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
I would drop at Goosenecks. Loved the VOG. But make sure the river crossing is safe to use (for your exit) if entering by the Moki. It would be a long drive back. Or maybe going the whole length just seemed long because we stopped so many times for pictures. I can't remember how many miles it was.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
I was in the area about 5 years ago. There are only a few places that I would attempt to camp in the Valley of the Gods. Gooseneck has 100's of "camping sites" that is simply places to park. I think that there were 4 sites with picnic tables -- I think they were for day use visitors.

This summer we are planning a trip to the area. Our plans are to travel from Moab to Natural Bridges NP and on to Capital Reef NP. We will dry camp near the junction of 95 and 261 or maybe at Muley Point and visit the valley on a day trip.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Third week in June? Seriously? Anyone else think it might just be a tad warm? :h

:B

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Goosenecks SP - camped there a week last Nov. I had the whole park to myself for 3 nights. Quite a few day use visitors drive in, take selfies, and carry on their way. Rated the park "500,000 stars". Oh and the canyon is worth a look too 🙂

Valley of the Gods - spectacular. Camping ^ what PawPaw said.

Moki Dugway - is a hoot on a motorcycle. Spectacular views. Don't miss it. Respect for the truck drivers who hauled ore down that road with 1950's and 60's trucks...

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Parking a trailer or truck camper or motor home in Valley of the Gods is limited.

While you can technically park anywhere, most of the loop roadway has a high berm at th edge of the graded surface.

There are many places to pullout and camp. One area can hold about 20 or more campers and was about 1/2 full when we visited. Others are one vehicle only.

The only truly pull off anywhere sites I saw were occupied by truck campers or tents.

Goosenecks has about a half dozen “sites” which is a very fluid definition. In reality, Goosenecks has about a mile of road along the rim and you can camp anywhere. Just as long as there is room for other vehicles to pass. After the first 1/4 mile the road/ trail gets rougher but can be negotiated easily with a moderately high clearance tow vehicle.

About the worst dip/ stream bed crossing on the VoG road is right after entering the road from US Hwy 163. The entrance from UT 261 near the Moki Dugway is much better for camper rigs.

I would suggest stopping at Goosenecks first. We stayed there one night and did a recon of the VoG road, drove up the Moki Dugway and recon Muley Point. Then moved to Muley Point.

I didn’t find the Moki Dugway that ‘frightening ‘ of a drive, but it is unsuitable for towing. Most of the braking zones going down and places you would need pulling power going up are gravel surface. If your vehicle lost traction, there is no way you could get stopped before going over the side for a hundred foot or more drop. Not a route for people nervous about no guardrails.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

BarryG20
Explorer
Explorer
Valley of the Gods road is passible if you drive slow enough or perhaps better said with just common sense and Goosenecks is little visited. I have never seen more than two people camped there at a time. If you camp there make sure and go up the Moki Dugway and check out Muley point which also has some camping but would not take the trailer up or down the dugway. If you like hiking and or indian ruins do search on the web for cedar mesa there is a ton of great indian ruin hiking up top.
2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

cjoseph
Explorer
Explorer
We drove all they way through in a Jeep several years ago.

I remember a few low draws that might pose a problem for a low vehicle pulling with a low hitch. Something with a high tongue and connection might be all right. One thing that may help you is the flat wide space. If needed, you could hit these draws at an angle for sure.

The road was in good shape when we were there. I remember thinking we could have driven it in a car with decent clearance.
Chuck, Heidi, Jessica & Nicholas
2013 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
All the way on the main road, it's always been in good condition when we have driven it. Baring any weather disasters of course.

As for Gooseneck, I recall seeing a few of other visitors, less than 5 the couple of times we were there. We saw more at Bridges. But still not that many. This area is well beyond the normal tourist zone.

Hovenweep for example, which is in the same area, is a very lightly visited Indian ruins park. Not in the same category as Mesa Verde but still excellent and worth a visit.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper