cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What GPS to buy

Canada_Irl
Explorer
Explorer
Would like to here a few ideas on what gps I should buy with Mx. travel in mind? Also where to get best price. thanks irl
18 REPLIES 18

homefor2
Explorer
Explorer
Bought the Garmin 2597 (I think) at Costco in Canada. Love the new features like rest stops, pictures of intersections as you get to them, what lane to choose and no more "recalculating" annoyance. There is also an app you can get for free on the iPhone that lets you put info into the Garmin via Bluetooth. You can also use the Garmin as a wireless hands free iPhone link. Probably more that I have not discovered yet.
1998 Carriage Conestoga 3742

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
4aSong wrote:
RonYVickie wrote:
We also have a Garmin Nuvi - can't remember the number, but it has all of North America. The accuracy is pretty good, but several times I have been prompted to turn where there is no road, plus going south from Oaxaca I was apparently driving cross-country even though that part of the highway has been there at least since 2006. just use caution and, of course, it's better if you check any unsure places on Google Earth and on a map before the gps gets you in a tight spot. There is a recent addition to causes of death and it's called "death by gps", as in the Canadians who got stranded on a Nevada backroad ! RYV

Good information for everyone that uses a GPS. Double check any unsure places using Google Earth and a map before you get into a tight spot.

X2
rocmoc n AZ/Mexico
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

4aSong
Explorer
Explorer
RonYVickie wrote:
We also have a Garmin Nuvi - can't remember the number, but it has all of North America. The accuracy is pretty good, but several times I have been prompted to turn where there is no road, plus going south from Oaxaca I was apparently driving cross-country even though that part of the highway has been there at least since 2006. just use caution and, of course, it's better if you check any unsure places on Google Earth and on a map before the gps gets you in a tight spot. There is a recent addition to causes of death and it's called "death by gps", as in the Canadians who got stranded on a Nevada backroad ! RYV

Good information for everyone that uses a GPS. Double check any unsure places using Google Earth and a map before you get into a tight spot.
M & N

Tundra TRD V8 4x4 w/Leer Shell
EU2000i * Prodigy * McKesh * Trek * Renogy * ENU

RonYVickie
Explorer
Explorer

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought the Garmin Nuvi 2757 at Walmart for $187, http://www.walmart.com/ip/Garmin-nuvi-2757LM-7-GPS-Unit-with-Free-Lifetime-Maps-of-North-America/229... . If in stock, local Walmart will match the online price. The price is lower than their Cyber Monday price. Thus far very pleased!

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

4aSong
Explorer
Explorer
Have had our Nuvi 2797LMT for about a month now and all I can say is WOW, the features, accuracy, etc. are second to none.
M & N

Tundra TRD V8 4x4 w/Leer Shell
EU2000i * Prodigy * McKesh * Trek * Renogy * ENU

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Isn't BaseCamp a free/better replacement for MapSource?
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
part of the Garmin package is software called MapSource

Tony,

I think this only comes when you buy a DVD map of certain parts of the world. Since our 2757 comes with all of North America we have had no reason to buy other maps so as far as I can tell we do not have Map Source. I cannot find a way on the Garmin website to get it unless I buy special maps.

On certain Garmiin devices we can use our Streets & Trips to plan a route and then transfer it to our Garmin. I have never actually done this but others have.

The Garmin does have things like gas stations, ATM machines, restaurants and other things of interest. But some things are very out of date - for example they get their RV park (camping) locations from Woodall's and this has not been updated for a long time. It is much better to use the Church book and enter the Lat Lon of a location to find it.

I know you travel the world with your various vehicles but we only travel North America in our Bus. We have talked about renting or buying an RV in Europe but we have not done it yet. So we do not have extra Garmin maps or Map Source. I certainly would be interested in seeing it and fooling around with it to see how it works but at this point not willing to buy maps I already have just to get Map Source - sure wish Garmin would find a way to offer this as an option when you buy a device.

owenssailor
Explorer
Explorer
When towing I really like the lane warning function on my Garmin Nuvi. Also the lifetime map updates are a big plus. Just did the update yesterday to get ready to go South tomorrow.
2011 Jayco 28U
2012 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 6 spd 3.42 (sold)
2017 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 8 spd 3.42
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks

tony_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Brian, part of the Garmin package is software called MapSource which allows you to use the Garmin maps (and open street maps) on your computer. Pretty sure you can also do route planning and then download them to the GPS.
Tony
Lots of photos with comprehensive captions at MY PICASA Album
Spotwalla map of our travels - Our Travel map

vic46
Explorer
Explorer
NOT TOMTOM their customer service is non existent! It took 46 days to get a replacement of a dead in warrant period Start 55. Bought a Garmin in the interim, the new DUMDUM is still in the box.
An outdated map beats DUMDUM!
[COLOR=]Never argue with an idiot. You will be dragged down to their level and then beaten with experience.

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
I looked at Keelhauler's Garmin link above and that 2797LMT looks like a great buy - refurbished but with full warranty. I am not at all sure what the difference is between the 2757 and the 2797 but the specs look the same. Main thing is it has Mexico already loaded and you get free lifetime updates.

Personally I would still get the last (no more after this) Microsoft Streets & Trips 2013 for trip planning in my computer. Much easier to sit at the computer and look over routes - and you can do a lot more with it too. Lists for about $40 but can often be found on sale. Problem is there are already new roads that are not on it as they will not be updating any longer - you would have to cross reference to the latest Garmin maps to check the route. We recently downloaded Garmin updates and see that there are changes we know about on Garmin that are not on S&T - so sad MS gave up on this great program. You will find things like new major roads and perifericos around towns on the Garmin that are not on S&T.

The important things to look for are complete maps of all of North America with free lifetime updates. We also go for the largest screen size we can get. There are websites where you can add Points of Interest (POIs) and the more expensive units will have things like that. A good GPS is a worthwhile and very good investment for all travels.

hermy
Explorer
Explorer
I also like the Garmin Nuvi's (there are various models) but I particularly like those with "lane assist". The information on how many lanes go where you want and which lanes you need to be in well in advance is very helpful

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
We have a large screen GPS that rests on the dash so it is easily seen by both the driver and passenger. My particular Garmin model 7200 is no longer made but there are similar models out there.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)