cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to plan for if you're thinking the Al-Can Hwy in a TC?

Boatycall
Explorer
Explorer
So, I'm in the initial thoughts/planning stages for doing the Al-Can next year. I get 5 weeks vaca per year, and this year, I'm going to have 2 weeks carry over, so next year I'll have 7 weeks on the books.

I'm thinking of budgeting a month to do the Al-Can. So first, is that enough from Seattle?

Some other questions--
My truck is in great shape, but what do you plan for besides flats?
Besides the normal road-trip stuff like extra fluids, belts, air compressor, etc...

Where would I want to stop for sight seeing?

Where to stay for overnighters?

Sat phone?

Time of year next year to go/not go? BTW, I hate mosquitoes(who doesn't)...

What else?
'15 F450, 30k Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 19.5's, Torklift Fast Guns
'12 Eagle Cap 1160, 800watts solar, Tristar MPPT, Magnum Hybrid 3k Inverter
'15 Wells Cargo 24' Race Trailer, 600 watts Solar, TriStar MPPT, Xantrex 2kw inverter
'17 Can Am X3 XDS Turbo
25 REPLIES 25

Orion
Explorer
Explorer
I was very confused when I came on this forum and first heard the term 'Alcan'. For a year or so I assumed that it was named after Alcan, the shortened name of the 'Aluminum Company of Canada'. They have a large smelter in Kitimat, where my wife grew up and I naturally assumed that Alcan had something to do with the construction of the highway. As a matter of interest I had heard of Alcan before I arrived in Canada as we had an Alcan factory near where I lived in Wales. Of course, there ALCAN stood for Aluminium Company of Canada!
As for the name 'Americans', I always thought it a little unfair that the US claimed the name of the entire continent for their own. I suggest that we use the LAST name of the person, from whom we got the name of the entire continent, Amerigo Vespucci.
So we are ALL Americans, Canadians, Mexicans and Vespuccians! See how easily rolls off the tongue! :B
Sometimes I sit and think deep thoughts. other times, I just sit!

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
Doug, many/most people refer to themselves as Americans, because it is part of our country name. The United States of America. Just like my friends from Mexico refer to themselves as Mexicans due to using an abbreviated version of their country name, Estados Unidos Mexicanos, or States United of Mexico or in English order of words, it is the United States of Mexico.

Canada is a very old name, but it has officially been known by other names as well. John A Macdonald, later the first Prime Minister, wanted to name it the Kingdom of Canada and referred to it as such, in some of his writings. Then it was called, later, the Dominion of Canada, by some, and a number of other names, as the different provinces jointed together in a confederation of sorts.

So we and our northern and southern neighbors refer to ourselves by a shorter name in most cases. Our name is not directly related to being in North America, which you are correct about. But it is like the State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations, but I have have never hear anyone from that state use the entire official name. They just say they are from Rhode Island. The Smallest state with the longest name.

Now when I am in Mexico with friends in Cuernavaca, they refer to where I am from as Estados Unidos or Oltra Lada (the other side) or just plain Gringo. LOL I did have a T shirt that said, when translated into English, I am not a gringo, I am a German. LOL they are much better liked by many in Mexico.

So there are many people that can call themselves North Americans, (Norte Americanos) not all can can use the shorter term of American for their country. May be some, I don't know what all the official names of all the countries of North America are in that country.

So depending on which side of the Rio Bravo del Norte, (the river we call the Rio Grande)I am on, is the deciding factor when someone asks me where I am from. So with the eleven (11) (counting Florida as one) Canadian Provinces and three Territories, most refer to themselves as Canadian, but not all the First Nation people do, from my personal experience. Just like in the US, some will first tell you they are Cherokee or some other tribe, then Americans. Same in Mexico, I once had a tour guide in the Yucatan area, when I spoke to him in Spanish, told me, he spoke English or Mayan, and asked which I preferred. Said he could speak Spanish but it left a bad taste in his mouth. LOL

We all have our issues, it seems.
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sue, you can have fun with the names of things.

There is a country which is officially called The United States of America. The citizens of that country often call themselves Americans, though their country is not called America. They dpn't call themselves United Statians.

Well, Canada is also in America. North America. The same blob of land as the United States. So is Mexico & a whole bunch of other countrys.

Arguably all of the citizens of all of the countries of both north & south America can call themselves Americans too.

Now THAT should stir the pot.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
Please, it is the Alaska Highway!

Alcan seems to be the term used by Americans, possibly because the military called the project that in 1942. After WWII, the US turned the route over to Canada. The highway was officially titled the Alaska Highway. It has been called that for more than six decades.

I was born and raised in Yukon along the ALASKA HIGHWAY, at mile 1202. So I take it kind of personal because the highway is sort of like my hometown.

Okay, rant over. :B

sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
There really is no way to drive to interior Alaska, without taking the Alaska Hwy, part of the way. The Cassiar runs from Kitwanga Junction in central BC to Junction 37, 13 miles out of Watson Lake, YT. A driver can take the Alaska Hwy from Dawson Creek to Delta Junction but which ever road you take north or south, from Alaska, to Junction 37 you will be on the Alaska Hwy, even if you turn south on the Cassiar Hwy, (Hwy 37) which actually runs past Kitwanga to Kitimat BC. Or if you turn south at Haines Junction and drive to Haines Alaksa to catch the ferry, you will still be on the Alaska Hwy from HJ to Delta Junction.
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

daily_double
Explorer
Explorer
We are almost home from spending 3 months in Ak. In drove the Alcan on the way up. and the Cassiar on the way back. IMHO there is no reason to take the Alcan unless you just want to say you did it. I think the Cassiar is much nicer road and prettier, how ever if I do it again I will take the ferry from Bellingham to Haines and then The Cassiar back! With a TC the cost wouldn't be that much more than fuel in BC and Yukon and you could make it in about half the time and wouldn't have to hassle with the road. I'll probably catch flak for that but that's just my opinion. Fuel is not much different in Ak and Wa. I think the cheapest diesel I found was $135.9 per liter. Most is ~ $147.9.You can do the conversion.

There are many pullouts in Ak and you can overnite in any as long as it's not posted. Few are. But in BC and YT most are.They want you to spend your $ in the campgrounds.Food is a little expensive in Ak. but eating out is very expensive. Same for Canada. They say eating out is expensive because every thing is shipped in. But food in the grocery store is shipped in also and it's not near as bad as eating out.

Roads in Ak are not any worse than the lower 48. In a lot of cases better unless you start going off-roading. This is a great trip, do it and have fun!!!

I would go in Aug & Sept. or Oct, to miss the mosquitos and see the fall colors.

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
We drove from Vancouver Island to Alaska numerous times in various RVs over many years. See the link in my signature for thousands of images from those trips. You'll also get an idea of timing and camping possibilities - we prefer to NOT stay in RV parks.

We now live here. Just finished a quick trip to my home town of Beaver Creek (historical mile 1202 on the Alaska Highway) with the fifth wheel. Beautiful fall colours this time of year!
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Turbo Diesel Dude wrote:
You're NOT going to a third world country. Plan for normal wear/tear and extra gas stops.

Sheeesh! How do you break this huge myth that the Alaska Highway is some monsterous beat up road that swallows up any vehicle that dares to travel on it?

Try driving the potholed interstates if you really want to beat up your vehicle.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

soos
Explorer II
Explorer II
we just spent the summer in Alaska in a truck camper. there are plenty of places to fuel up. No need to add capacity, just try to stay above a half tank. In a TC you can pull off and sleep wherever you want, usually with beautiful scenery all around you.
No Sat phone. just deal with going without cell service once in a while.
If you DO have an issue, there are lots of other travelers on the road.

as someone said "you're not in a 3rd world country"
Sue
soos-ontheroad.blogspot.com
Fulltiming since 2009
2012 Mobile Suites 36 TKSB4 pulled by a
2011 Ford F450
2005 Lance 1181 TC- our Vacation Home

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
For new Alaskan travelers it would be your worthwhile to go to the very top of this forum. You'll see a "Sticky" for Helpful Hints. It has lots of good information to prepare for your trip.

As to the direct question: install new tires on your vehicle if they're about due. You're correct in taking extra fluids, belts, air compressor. Other than that, just travel the way you would on secondary roads in the lower 48. It's no different. It's an easy trip nowdays. Drive slow and you won't get any damage. You'll find out what frost heaves look like from a distance after you go over the first one! 🙂 They're easy to spot.

There are plenty of gorgeous spots to spend a night just off the highway. Many folks do so. There are RV parks around every town but they won't look like the kind in the lower 48. For the most part they are just gravel parking lots. We much preferred the roadside stops and the public parks, especially in Canada and the Yukon.

The roads aren't deserted and you'll have many folks traveling the same route as you. In fact, you'll probably see the same faces over and over again.

The only reservations we made were the July 4 weekend (Alaskans like to camp, too) and our stay inside Denali Nat'l Park. For those we made them as we were traveling and could better judge when we'd be at a certain place.

Just take your time and enjoy the trip. It's fantastic!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

quoyfab
Explorer
Explorer
I know many folks won't sit and read the thousands of posts in the Alaska & Canada forum, big mistake.

x2

Someone once said, "If it won't fit on a bumper sticker, people won't read it"

jroddick
Explorer
Explorer
We drove up to Skagway in two days from Bellingham, a leisurely pace. There are a lot of critters on the road at dusk though. We delivered a truck to Juneau, spent a few days and rode the Ferry back to Bellingham. Bring lot's of sunscreen, it was relentless on our trip. Day after day of cloudless skies and temps near 80….

Jeffrey

" If you don't think too good..... don't think too much"

spacedoutbob
Explorer
Explorer
I went to Alaska back in August of 1992, I didn't run into mosquitos at all. I went from Dawson Creek to Delta Junction then down the George Parks Highway past Denali to Anchorage, At Tok Junction we went south down the Stewart-Cassiar Highway. That highway at that time was only about 1/2 paved and 1/2 gravel topped. It doesn't seem like 22 years have passed, I need to go visit again.

Bob in Calif.
Good Sam Club Life Member

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Moved to RVing in Canada and Alaska

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke