cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

where to stop for the night

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
Ok so for thanksgiving weekend we decided to leave the 5th wheel at home and do a three day loop from kamloops, to banff, to jasper then home with the truck camper.

so my question is between Kamloops and banff is there any good spots you can pull over for the evening besides truck stops and such. we are leaving thursday about supper time and I was intending on knocking two or three hours of driving off then stoping for the night, but I noticed 90% of the campgrounds have already shut down for the winter.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100
20 REPLIES 20

canadafan
Explorer
Explorer
Try Waitabit Creek in Donald just off Hwy 1. If you want to take the long way round try Cherryville on Hwy 6.

Trevor

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
Flyboy320 wrote:
We re headed Salmon Arm to Calgary on Friday. Hiway fully open 8 Oct at noon to 12 Oct at noon MST.

Just saw that, was hoping it would have opened first thing friday morning.. might have to go to jasper first and come home that way.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Have a look at the iOverlander app

bfacklam
Explorer
Explorer
We covered part of the route this summer on our Ferry trip to Alaska, then through Canada. One of our favorite nights in our truck camper is the Beaver River Recreation Site. It is about 4 hours east on Kamloops on the way to Mount Robson Provincial Park and Jasper. It is near the town of McBride. Room for about five campers on a nice river. Check out this spot on free campsites.net. We also stayed at the Lake Louise overflow parking lot, about four or five miles south of Lake Louise on the road to Banff. Free overnight parking where the shuttles take tourists to Lake Louise. Enjoy your trip

Flyboy320
Explorer
Explorer
We re headed Salmon Arm to Calgary on Friday. Hiway fully open 8 Oct at noon to 12 Oct at noon MST.

Something you may want to consider as you head towards Banff:

I assume you'll take Hwy 1 through Golden. They are doing major roadwork on the twisties heading out of Golden and the road is closed a lot of the time. Depending when you go through you may have to detour via Radium. Check the DriveBC website for accurate info. I think they mentioned being open for Thanksgiving weekend last time I looked.

One place I have seen where there are places to stop is off Hwy 93 heading from Lake Louise towards Jasper. If you head north at the Sask Crossing turnoff there are a number of places where you can overnight including a few Government CGs. Not sure on their closing times though.

A lot depends on how far you will go in 1 day too.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com