cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wisconsin to Fort Wilderness

Waunacamper
Explorer
Explorer
We are heading south soon. Was thinking of taking I65 south from Nashville to Montgomery, then state 231 to I10 to avoid Chattanooga and Atlanta. The time/dist difference is not that much to be a factor. Anyone have a better route idea or comment on the route?
2017 ORV Timber Ridge 27BHS
2015 Ram 2500 (6.4/4.10)
8 REPLIES 8

ct1964ups
Explorer
Explorer
tinstartrvlr wrote:
I would use 231 to Dothan Al, then pick up US 84 and follow it east to US 19 in Thomasville Ga. then go south. Pick up 98/27/19. 27 to Ocala, then 441 south from there. When you get close to Orlando, you're on your own. ๐Ÿ™‚
All good roads, with only the occasional small town to deal with.
Spent most of my life in Fl and can say with certainty that I-10 and I-75 can be incredibly dangerous, frustrating and often bumper to bumper, so I don't mind taking the scenic route and the extra time to avoid them as much as possible.
Most of the side roads I mentioned are 60-65 mph speed limit, which often can be faster than I-75/10.
Only drawback is gas stations can be sparse, so plan accordingly.

Sorry for the multiple edits....

I use this route all the time with a variation or so....Once you hit Thomasville,you can stay in a campground there called City of Roses...a few permanents but Bill the owner has all in control,so it is more than a decent place to stop for a day or two..then straight down 19 to 27 and i stay on 27 all the way down to Disney...to 192 and int the Fort...Chuck
2017 Newmar Mountain Aire Seville on a Freightliner/2015 Granite Grand Cherokee Limited
2012 American Tradition Merlot>>SOLD
Keep The Rubber On The Road
GO NOLES

tinstartrvlr
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Atlanta is not THAT bad ! Stay away from rush hour traffic and take the Interstate straight through. Keep to the right, relax and drive the minimum speed.

X2 on going right through downtown, if you must go through Atlanta. I used to go around on the bypass, but it was like a Nascar race. Last time I decided to go through downtown; 40 mph was about as fast as anyone could go, but traffic moved freely. No stress, and only added about 15 minutes to the trip.

Only trouble with the interstates IMHO is that if there is a wreck, you're stuck. Usually on the side roads there are options.

Either way, safe travels.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Atlanta is not THAT bad ! Stay away from rush hour traffic and take the Interstate straight through. Keep to the right, relax and drive the minimum speed.

Waunacamper
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks you to all so far. Great comments, I love this forum. People are so helpful! We were planning on leaving on 1/13 but may have to leave a few days earlier to avoid driving in snow. Would then have to stay somewhere for a few days before we can get into Disney. Topsail is full of course but St. Andrews SP has openings. Anyone stay there?
We are not worried as we thought this might happen and are confident we will find someplace to stay. Even if we have to stay at Walmart a night as we plan on doing that traveling anyway.
2017 ORV Timber Ridge 27BHS
2015 Ram 2500 (6.4/4.10)

tinstartrvlr
Explorer
Explorer
I would use 231 to Dothan Al, then pick up US 84 and follow it east to US 19 in Thomasville Ga. then go south. Pick up 98/27/19. 27 to Ocala, then 441 south from there. When you get close to Orlando, you're on your own. ๐Ÿ™‚
All good roads, with only the occasional small town to deal with.
Spent most of my life in Fl and can say with certainty that I-10 and I-75 can be incredibly dangerous, frustrating and often bumper to bumper, so I don't mind taking the scenic route and the extra time to avoid them as much as possible.
Most of the side roads I mentioned are 60-65 mph speed limit, which often can be faster than I-75/10.
Only drawback is gas stations can be sparse, so plan accordingly.

Sorry for the multiple edits....

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
231 is my only route to the panhandle. Very relaxing drive.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

04fxsts
Explorer
Explorer
Much better than going through Chattanooga and Atlanta! Last year we took that route and a few more miles and a little more time well spent. Much more relaxed trip, just too bad there isn't a better way around Nashville. Jim.

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
I used that route going to the KY/TN state line. At the time I traveled it when a Class A, towing it was very good.

North of Troy, AL is a nice RV park, Deer Run on 231.
Off a short distance in Eufaula, AL is a State Park, nice.