cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yosomite Tuolumne campground to Zion NP

TNRIVERSIDE
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for recomaditions on routes from Tuolmne campground in Yosomite to Zion NP. Planing our trip for next year. We would like to make it in one day but we do not like to push it in highways or two lanes. Also this will be in Late June. Pulling our 21' TT with our F150. It looks like these are remote areas with few campgrounds. Any help would be appreciated.
2014 Coleman CTS192RD. 2009 F150 4X4, 5.4, 3.31
Jeff
7 REPLIES 7

Marv_Hoag
Explorer
Explorer
The last time I did this route from Yosemite, I followed 120 to 395 south and picked up 120 east to 6. Overnighted in Caliente (about 350 miles from Yosemite ) then an easy 150 miles to Zion. You could do the whole trip of 500 miles in one long day, but almost all of the journey is 2 lane roads except a few miles on I-15.
2000 Monaco Windsor 40
2009 Honda Fit Sport
2012 Chevrolet Equinox

Jbrowland
Explorer
Explorer
All decent advice so far. I just returned from Yosemite two weeks ago. We drive over Tioga Pass stopping along the way to see Olmstead Point, Tenaya Lake and Tuolomne Meadows. We slowly made our way down 395 back to Los Angeles. We were also recently in Zion as well.

Some things to consider:

Please excuse this post if you already know these things. As was mentioned, Tioga and the high country campgrounds may or may not be open. Depends on the snow and weather. The official web page lists the camping season as "approximately July through September." Also, getting reservations up there is like winning the lottery. Thousands of people around the world get up early on the day it is released and it books out in seconds. Many sites are first come. When we went through on the 19th of June, the temps spiked and they opened early but were still full somehow. Just making the track over Tioga can easily be a four to six hour adventure when you stop along the way.

As your date approaches, you can check the snow levels and check the current level against historic levels and opening dates. The link can be found on the official page for YNP.

395 is wonderful and has so many cool places to stop. If you don't have to rush, plan on stopping at Mono Lake where you can see the tufas, Mammoth where you can hike to Devil's Postpile and Rainbow Falls (world class hikes and short), and many other cool places like Body Ghost Town a little farther north, Convict Lake, Manzanar, and more.

That descent into Lee Vining is a good one but not impossible if you go slow. We saw a few RV's spewing black smoke trying to get up as well as a few with over heated breaks. Especially the trailer towers.

Fires are not uncommon in the summer. We just made it past a fire that blocked off traffic in Lee Vining for a couple days. As well, a larger fire south of Manzanar had us driving in thick, fog like smoke for miles. Have an alternate route planned.

Regarding driving through DV NP in the summer, I know a few who have done it but I honestly wouldn't want to. 115-120f sounds horrible. I don't think my AC could keep up. Plus, keep in mind that DV is the largest NP in the lower 48 I believe. It might be fun, but it won't save any time.

High winds are very common on your planned route. This will slow you down.

Basically, what I am getting at, is that is a very long and hot drive that IMHO is better done in a few days given the possible variables that can slow you down be they amazing attractions or high winds etc. Besides, the crowds in Zion at that time are nothing to rush to. One of the days, we waited in line almost two hours to get the mandatory summer shuttle into Zion.

All that negativity aside, it looks like you are going to have an amazing trip! Those are two of my faves and most frequented NP's. Likely, none of the negatives I mentioned will effect you but perhaps being aware of them may help you. I hope anyway. Have a blast!

MPond
Explorer
Explorer
TNRIVERSIDE wrote:
OP here.
Thanks for the advice. We will be traveling this in late June. And we are not pressed for time.

So would I be stupid to go through Death Valley in late June? If I'm going from Tuolumne to Las Vagas. it could be a great time to mark off another NP. Just driving through. It looks like I could go 395 to 136 / 190. All comments appreciated.

Death Valley is going to be ridiculously hot in late June - often 110+ and sometimes 115+. And the grade from 395 into Death Valley on 190 is a 9% grade - hot engine on the climb, and hot brakes on the descent.

I've done it, and I would be very hesitant when it's that hot.
2003 Country Coach Intrigue, Cummins ISL 400
Toad: 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ) toad, with just a few mods...

Other rig: 2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually / Next Level 38CK Fifth-wheel Toy Hauler w/ quads, sand rail, etc...

TNRIVERSIDE
Explorer
Explorer
OP here.
Thanks for the advice. We will be traveling this in late June. And we are not pressed for time.

So would I be stupid to go through Death Valley in late June? If I'm going from Tuolumne to Las Vagas. it could be a great time to mark off another NP. Just driving through. It looks like I could go 395 to 136 / 190. All comments appreciated.
2014 Coleman CTS192RD. 2009 F150 4X4, 5.4, 3.31
Jeff

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
We really liked 120 to Highway 6 across Nevada -- utterly empty. Not sure about the best way to get to Zion from there -- we were headed north, not south.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
The best way would be Tioga Pass to 395 at Lee Vining and pick up Nevada 6/50 to 21 at Cedar Basin Nat'l Park to I-15 south at Beaver, Ut to Hwy 9 east to Zion.

That is...if Tioga Pass is open at that time.

To us, that would be a long drive for one day. If you're that pressed for time could you knock off a day at Yosemite?
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Next June. Early June or late June? It matters, because the pass might not be open in early June next year. Highway 120 is a slow road, not something you can tow a travel trailer at more than about 35 MPH average over the pass. I did about 40 in my Honda CRV that I tow behind my motorhome. Then going down the pass towards highway 395, it is steep, second gear type of road, and you can burn up your brakes if you go to fast, and don't stop along the way to allow them to cool down a bit.

From Lee Vining to Zion NP, it is about 7.5 hours and over 450 miles, either going through central Nevada, or Las Vegas, then north on I15. Both ways are going to be really hot mid-June and July. Perhaps 100+.

Personally I would go south to Las Vegas, then spend a night there, then go into Zion, it is a quick trip, if you start at 7 am, you will get there in time to take in some of the Zion sites that day.

If you don't want to tackle Tioga Pass with it's 9,900' elevation, then back to 2,500' at highway 395 (this is a 7% downgrade) then the long way around is to return to Fresno, and take highway 99 south to Bakersfield, then 58 to Barsto, and on to Las Vegas via I15. It is a bit further around, but probably cooler. You can look up some of the cities on the Nevada route, and see what there temps are now, it will probably be close to that in Mid-June next year.

Good luck!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com