cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Zion NP to Flagstaff

bazdad
Explorer
Explorer
Once again I need some help. Computer tells me to take UT9 through the park and connect to UT 89 all the way to Flagstaff. I am pulling a 35 ft 5er. How bad are the pulls this way? Do you have a better suggestion? Thanks for your suggestions.
8 REPLIES 8

bazdad
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the information. The heads up about Pipe Springs was great. It was an interesting stop.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
I agree on Pipe Springs. Very interesting tour.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Stop by Pipe Springs.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
boogie_4wheel wrote:
Do not pull your trailer through the park...

Take 59/389 from Hurricane to Fredonia.
North on 89A from Fredonia to Kanab.
East on 89 from Kanab to Page to Flagstaff.

An alternate (harder pull up in to the trees, but more scenic) would be to take 89A south out of Fredonia to Jacob Lake to Bitter Springs to Flagstaff. The road from the bottom of the switchbacks East of Jacob Lake to Bitter Springs does not have a shoulder and is a little rougher. But, it is worth it. If you hate hills, hate going slow, hate roads with limited passing zones, or hate nice views, then don't go this way. For a light vehicle/car, going through Jacob Lake is slightly quicker.

Which is the better? You decide. Look at some Google Earth Pics overlooking the Vermillion Cliffs and Marble canyon area. If I didn't have inlaws that still lived in Page, I wouldn't take the Page route near as much.

I agree with this route. We've towed through Jacob Lake, but did so to stay at Kaibab Camper Village. Towed the winding, narrow, downhill on 89A and the views are amazing! It's a roller coaster road even at the bottom, not much chance to pass if you need to, but still not a problem.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
Did what OldBiscut and Bogie suggested several years ago. Recommend you follow their advice. Fredonia to Kanab and 89 is only about 5 miles. Nice easy trip.
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
The tunnel is fine as long as you are under 50'. You drive down the center of the tunnel with plenty of height. Yes some turns and grades but many buses and RVs use that route. 59/389 is flat and boring.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

boogie_4wheel
Explorer
Explorer
Do not pull your trailer through the park...

Take 59/389 from Hurricane to Fredonia.
North on 89A from Fredonia to Kanab.
East on 89 from Kanab to Page to Flagstaff.

An alternate (harder pull up in to the trees, but more scenic) would be to take 89A south out of Fredonia to Jacob Lake to Bitter Springs to Flagstaff. The road from the bottom of the switchbacks East of Jacob Lake to Bitter Springs does not have a shoulder and is a little rougher. But, it is worth it. If you hate hills, hate going slow, hate roads with limited passing zones, or hate nice views, then don't go this way. For a light vehicle/car, going through Jacob Lake is slightly quicker.

Which is the better? You decide. Look at some Google Earth Pics overlooking the Vermillion Cliffs and Marble canyon area. If I didn't have inlaws that still lived in Page, I wouldn't take the Page route near as much.
2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just a couple of thoughts........
If 5vr is 13' 1" or taller...not allowed thru tunnel
If truck and 5vr combined length is greater than 50'...not allowed thru tunnel

Otherwise you will need to pay tunnel fee ($15) and have Rangers stop traffic so you can drive down center of tunnel

Then there is the twisty/winding road with at least 5 tight switchbacks/hairpins before you get to tunnel

That is if you are coming from south entrance and going out east entrance

Where are you coming from??

If west side of Park............then drive over to Hurricane (UT9) and pickup UT59 down into AZ (389) and then connect with AZ 89A on into Flagstaff
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31