cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Activities between Seattle and Glacier NP

cadman5
Explorer
Explorer
In August we are driving with our travel trailer from Seattle to Glacier NP. Usually we like to split up the days with a couple activities like caverns, interesting gorges or rock formations, and historical sites.
I'm looking for suggestions along the I-90 corridor or maybe a short ways off it. We will then head north at St Regis.
I could be talked into using Hwy 2 if there is something extraordinary to see ๐Ÿ™‚
9 REPLIES 9

jim1632
Explorer
Explorer
Route 2 is best choice for "local" scenery. Grand Coulee Dam is an obvious stop. Study the "scablands" area of WA, formed by the collapse of glacial lakes as climate warmed last time. There are several state parks related to the geologic consequences of square miles of water flowing toward the Columbia delta.

Read the Great Fire by Timothy Egan, a history of the largest forest fire in the US history to date (about 1910). Go to Wallace ID on US 2 at the ID/MT border to see the area discussed in the book. A railroad line that has been turned into a bike trail offers a great ride through the fire area. You go east on RT2 from Wallace and then start a steady coasting for about 10 miles from the top of a pass. Biking is paved and goes through 7-8 tunnels, some over a mile long (need a light for these) and over 300-foot steet trestles that have replaced the railroad bridges.

If you read more about Rt 2, I sure there is plenty to do before you get to Glacier.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Here you go:

http://nwtravelmag.com/road-trip-north-cascades-glacier/
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
About an hour south of the I 90 / US 395 junction in Eastern Washington is Palouse Falls State Park. An interesting waterfall with a second lower waterfall a little upstream. While they only have a few small tent sites, I have dry camped in the upper parking lot, and even stayed in the full hookup host site when they didn't have a host..

More Photos on this and nearby pages.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Northern Idaho.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Isaac-1 wrote:
Depending on your route, how about Grand Coulee Dam

X2 on Grand Coulee. Especially the lazer light show. Dry falls is also interesting. As I remember there is a decent campground right there.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Do a Google search for `______ tourism' and put the city, state, area in the blank.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Isaac-1
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on your route, how about Grand Coulee Dam

pfidahospud
Explorer
Explorer
If you end up taking US2, Dry Falls sounds like your kind of thing too.

pfidahospud
Explorer
Explorer
If rocks are your thing, check out Ginkgo Petrified State Forest near Vantage, WA, right off of I90.