cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Any one else giving up snow birding due to the covid

Guy_Roan
Explorer
Explorer
We own our own rv spot in Key Largo, Fl, but will be staying right here in the high country of NC until it is safe to go.
Our county here has only a total of five deaths and just a few hundred cases, while our county there has a few thousand cases.
It is a no brainer for us !

Guy
138 REPLIES 138

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
We can self isolate in warm climate just as easily as in cold, so we haven't changed any of our plans.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

RVman3252
Explorer
Explorer
We decided to make our typical reservations for Florida last year when we left, and we always leave Ohio in mid-January, so we have a little time yet, so We will make our decision at that time I guess? If I end up loosing my deposits and pre-payments... well I've wasted money before! hahaha... I just hope things settle down some in the next few months! Good Luck to everyone and Safe Travels!!!

RVman / John
RVman3252
3252Px3 KZ Sportsmen Limited Triple Slide Fifth Wheel
Dodge Ram HD3500 CrewCab, Longbed 4x4 Cummins w/ PullRite Super 5th

Good Sam Life Member

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Guy Roan wrote:
Reisender wrote:
joebedford wrote:
Staying home. Can't even go to New Zealand this winter like the last time we didn't go to USA. My snowblower is tuned up and my shovel sharpened.

I hear ya. I bought the wife new electric socks and a new snow shovel so we are set.

Do those socks come with a fifty foot cord, or a 100 foot one

Guy

A little pair of lithium batteries. Last about 10 hours. Not kidding. :).

Sheโ€™s a Tesla girl. Only seems fitting. ๐Ÿ™‚

Guy_Roan
Explorer
Explorer
Reisender wrote:
joebedford wrote:
Staying home. Can't even go to New Zealand this winter like the last time we didn't go to USA. My snowblower is tuned up and my shovel sharpened.

I hear ya. I bought the wife new electric socks and a new snow shovel so we are set.

Do those socks come with a fifty foot cord, or a 100 foot one

Guy

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
We are staying home because My wife had a very bad broken leg in Jan and then had the Chinese virus later in the nursing home and then I sold the alpenlite fifth and then we bought another trailer for her to feel better. So maybe next winter or maybe we might never rv again. chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
joebedford wrote:

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
We're on our way.
Sunny and 70's at Lake Shasta yesterday.
Mask wearing is more evident now than six months ago.
The RV office here in Vacaville will talk to you only by phone - they are VERY careful. (for good reason)
Onward to Monterrey California today and more adventures.
(masks in public, gloves at gas stations, hand sanitizer bottles in every pocket)
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer

Topic is:
Any one else giving up snow birding due to the covid

I know it is hard, but for those of us interested in this topic could you please stop trying to make the Mod close it?

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

empty_nest
Explorer
Explorer
We are outta here in 9 days!

I have waited years to get to a point where we can do this and will not be denied. We will take all necessary precautions and have a piece of property to ourselves, so it shouldn't be much different than here at home.
2008 38' Winnebago Adventurer
2012 Jeep Wrangler (Toad)
03 Ranger 520 DVX - 225 hp. Evinrude

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
GDS wrote:
Really, and who exactly pays for all of that? Most restaurants I know of are close to being out of business....

....BPI filtration systems retrofit onto existing HVAC (most if not all public indoor spaces have existing HVAC air movement systems in 2020), and cost as little as $900 for a small facility, and $3000 for very large facilities (but at the scale of airports and hospitals, the cost is higher). CBAnalysis: Far and away less than the subsidies already deployed to businesses.
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
silversand wrote:

One observation I've made is: why haven't retail, restaurant, and most health-care facilities implemented bipolar ionization technology? It has been implemented successfully at nine major US airport facilities (including one in Canada: Vancouver), and at 6 major US hospitals....

Really, and who exactly pays for all of that? Most restaurants I know of are close to being out of business if they are not already out of business because of shoot from the hip govt edicts handed down with no thought as to the final outcome.

Being retired and having the option to hide yourself away, not travel, and limit your interaction with others is slightly different than working for a living where its impossible to do the tasks remotely from home, such as manufacturing or construction.

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
...we have curtailed our snowbirding this "winter" season. The criteria for curtailment are these:

-the "human response and behavior" aspect make the virus spread fairly unpredictable; this can be widely (spatially) variable, and will render our "stops" on our way south more (or, less) dangerous in very short time-spans (a week or 2 can make a huge difference).

-science on the hardiness of sars-cov-2 virus in winter is starting to emerge (cold and humid or dry air viability), and we are taking the precautionary principle: because of our "age", absence of any vaccine(s), and rapidly rising strained public health facilities, as infection rates eclipse even the worst numbers back in May, across all of the G20 nations.

....we are following "the situation" closely, and do a re-analysis once a week.

One observation I've made is: why haven't retail, restaurant, and most health-care facilities implemented bipolar ionization technology? It has been implemented successfully at nine major US airport facilities (including one in Canada: Vancouver), and at 6 major US hospitals....
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are full-time and spent the summer in one place, then transitioned to the south for the winter where we will sit in one place. Traveling in between was no contact check in at most stops. We've gotten gas, groceries and have taken the dog to a vet. We wear masks when inside any business and appreciate everyone else who wears it properly.

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
When cold weather arrives, more and more people are going into smaller and smaller spaces. Shorter days, means shorter time to go errands which results in more people in a given space, so increase in likelihood of increased infections. And there are so many people who will not stay home when they feel ill - they are just running a couple of errands and infecting people as they go. Look at how many will have a mask on BELOW their nose.

The infection rate doesn't have to go up, but that requires everyone to do their part, stay home if feeling ill, wear a mask whenever going out into public, wash hands frequently, disinfect, etc.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog