cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone heard of harvest hosts (free camping database)

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
For an annual fee, they keep an updated list of establishments that let you park for free, if you agree to patronize the establishment.

https://harvesthosts.com/

It's not expensive but I'd hate to join to find out they don't have locations where we'll be traveling. I like the idea quite a lot.

Also it's not clear how I'd patronize a farm. What would I buy, a side of beef?
14 REPLIES 14

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check out Travleing Robert on You tube. He stayed at one. It can be hit or miss. Some places are nice and out in the country. Others are in a parking lot in the city.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
My back up to freecampsites is Campenium. They too, have a filter system. Both are totally free.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
rvshrinker - don't be discouraged by members here telling you to "look it up." You came here to hear from other people, so here goes:

We first heard of Harvest Hosts before we owned a travel trailer. I thought it sounded like a great program, so as soon as we got our trailer I signed up for Harvest Hosts. That was about 4 years ago I think. We are still members, renewing each year, so that should tell you something. There are some limitations to the program, but as long as you understand them and work within them, it's a great program. Here are some of the things I like:

* wineries and farms are fun places to stay, usually
* wineries and farms are typically small business, and you can usually meet the owners, talk with them, and get to know some fascinating people. This to me is the very best part.
* most of the places we've stayed are really quiet at night after the businesses have closed down for the night
* we've gotten off the interstates and into some areas of the country that we wouldn't have seen otherwise

We usually use HH when we're on our way to a distant destination that requires more than one day of travel. The HH's serve as overnights along the way. Sometimes we need to go a little off a straight course between point A and point B, but that's OK with us (leads to my final bulleted point above.) Occasionally we'll set up a short HH-to-HH trip just to get away from home for a few days. It can be fun to set out without a specific end-point destination, letting the string of HH's be our destinations. Again - not something we would do if we weren't in a program like HH.

About a year or so ago the original owners (founders) of HH sold the business. Almost immediately the annual membership fee went up significantly. At the same time, a change began to occur: lots of new hosts announced, and lots of old hosts dropped out of the program (without any announcement.) A few places that had become favorite stops for us are no longer in the program. No explanation as to why. It makes me wonder if the new owners are doing something to cause these dropouts. There must be a reason.

We still love our HH membership and what it opens up for us. I guess if you already love wineries and farms, that helps a lot.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

rvshrinker wrote:
I did, nothing showed up. I'll search again.

Using Google for finding forum posts can, in many instances, generate more results by using this search form: site:rv.net harvesthosts.com

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
The one night advertised limit is to prevent the tight wad squatters from overstaying their welcome. Doubt if a multi night is a problem, especially during weekdays, so that a little of the area can be explored as well.

Many do have power available, if only 20amp. Better than nothing. Enough to keep battery bank charged & run everything except the A/C.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
www.harvesthosts.com

I belonged once but found it not that a valuable resource. Almost all hosts require at least a 24 hour notice, not unlike making a reservation, the sites are almost universally without hookups, many don't allow generator use, and you are asked (mandated if you will) to buy something from the host for at least $10.00. Lots of the sites are wineries, and I can't drink a pricey bottle of wine every night!

Camper8251
Explorer
Explorer
rvshrinker wrote:

https://forums.goodsamclub.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/search/parms/sw%7Bharvest%20hosts%7D%7Ckm%7Bexac...
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 DMAX
Outdoors RV 23DBS
2008 Arctic Fox 811 - SOLD
19.5 Vision Wheels with
Toyo M608z's 225/70R19.5 14 plys rated at 3970

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of Youtube videos on Harvest Hosts, might be worth a watch.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
No hookups either. If I understand correctly.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Allstays shows all sort of sites plus things like dump staions and at about $30/year is cheaper than that other place. HH is only worth it if you want to visit wineries and such, they don't take reservations, and it's one night only. At the price they charge I don't think it's cheap.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Boondockers Welcome is a subscription site to link travellers with parking opportunities on private property.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
This site is free and includes filters, as well as a trip planner.

https://freecampsites.net/
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III

Camper8251
Explorer
Explorer
Did u try a search on here? Talked about a few times
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 DMAX
Outdoors RV 23DBS
2008 Arctic Fox 811 - SOLD
19.5 Vision Wheels with
Toyo M608z's 225/70R19.5 14 plys rated at 3970