cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Apple season - almost here!

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Apple season is almost here in NC. I think there may be a few types ready around now, but in the next month, things will be in season.

We are lucky to live only about 30 minutes or so from some great orchards, but wonder if any folks out there will be camping and getting apples. What's your favorite orchard and place to camp close to it?
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L
7 REPLIES 7

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I used to drive about 20 miles from home to Rouster's Apple House near Milford, Ohio. One of the few places that still had Stayman Winesap trees. A crisp, tart apple. But, alas, the owners were getting too old and shut it down. Wish I could find someplace else in the area.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Fish__n___Grits
Explorer
Explorer
We,with all the nieces, nephews, grands, mother-in-law etc. go to Steppes orchards near Hendersonville, NC every year and pick ours. They have a number of varieties and we've learned , over the years, the kinds to pick for cooking, canning or just eatin'. It's become a pleasant family tradition.
Billy & Dale
'99 F350 DRW Superduty
'02 Lance 1161
Salli the "Schnoodle"

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Don't have to camp to get apples-we have 20-30 orchards within an hour of us. Best apples in the world come from New England! ๐Ÿ™‚

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

glazier
Explorer II
Explorer II
Prime camping season is just around the corner, I wait all year for Fall. We actually have an Apple Day Parade close to our hometown, great event.
2017 Grand Design Momentum 328M
2015 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Duramax CC/SB/4X4
B&W Companion Slider

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
This year is the 50th National Apple Harvest Festival. It just an exit or two north of Gettysburg, which has several nice campgrounds.
Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

huachuca
Explorer
Explorer
Good topic. We'll be at Smokemont over Labor Day - Any suggestions for a good place to pick up some Honeycrisp in that area?

Thanks - Al

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
One thing I miss about when we lived in Michigan is that we could drive down the road to the orchard stand and get jugs of freshly pressed apple cider. Man oh man, that was good stuff. If I were retired, I'd drive up there in October just for the cider.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point