cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Astoria Oregon Koa

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking of taking the GD for a week. Anyone been there?

Will want to ride bikes in Fort Stevens, anyone know about the bike trails in Fort Stevens

Reviews look pretty good, she will enjoy the pools and kid activities. any thoughts or comments would be appreciated
12 REPLIES 12

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
winnietrey wrote:
Thinking of taking the GD for a week. Anyone been there?

Will want to ride bikes in Fort Stevens, anyone know about the bike trails in Fort Stevens

Reviews look pretty good, she will enjoy the pools and kid activities. any thoughts or comments would be appreciated

Fort Stevens is a real family Family friendly Park. Make your RESERVATIONS as soon as possible!!! Many sites are fairly close to each other but the sites for trailers have a little bit more room. The bike and walking trails are outstanding. The KOA is probably suited ok for most RVers but their PRICES are outrageous!!!! A few years ago I drove in to check it our and then asked the rates, it was close to $90 per night! I told the lady that I just want to RV for the night not buy the site~ She had no sense of humor as I drove off:)

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
RedRocket204 wrote:
Near the Megler Bridge are some small, independent markets that sell exceptionally good smoked fish, highly recommended.

One is Josephson's Smokehouse, the other one, which I liked better is below the El Tapitio Restaurant but looks like it is gone. Both used fresh caught fish and smoked the fish themselves.
I love me some land yachting

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
Across the bridge are a couple of small fishing towns, (Ilwaco) Coast Guard Station and Cape Disappointment State Park. Also 2 very picturesque light houses and a great Lewis and Clark center.

Yes and Long Beach has a nice, but short downtown area you can park and window shop. There is an ice cream shop, kite shop, restaurants and other touristy type shops there. North on Hwy 101 are many "sea" towns where a lot of oyster farming takes place. Further north and then west is another nice area to tool around, Westport.

BTW, on the Washington side of the Megler Bridge (bridge over the Columbia in Astoria) if you turn right, fairly close is the remains of a fully sunken small navel ship and I believe I recall there is a small historical sign there. It is easy to miss. There is also the remains of the beached ship Peter Iredale within Fort Stevens State Park, OR. That one is very easy to find and you can walk up to it and touch it given it's not high tide.

There's the Goonies house in Astoria. Wet Dog Cafe was always good for food when I lived there. I understand the Fort George Brewery is also good but never have been there. Astoria Column. Near the Megler Bridge are some small, independent markets that sell exceptionally good smoked fish, highly recommended.

Popular to locals in Seaside is the Pig N Pancake, it's downtown. There is also the Seaside Carousel kids enjoy along with the Arcade near the Seaside turn around at the beach. Also in Seaside is the Lewis and Clark Salt Cairn Historic Monument which is a semi short walk from downtown along the "boardwalk". It is not a big deal but it is interesting to see none-the-less as it's part of history.

South, down the coast about an hour is the Tillamook Cheese factory that does tours. I've heard it was interesting but never went. There is also a pretty large airplane museum in Tillamook.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Don't miss Haystack Rock in Cannon Beach, The tide pools are fantastic and pelagic birds nest on the rock. The tidepools are open at low tide with dosents that will show and explain the critters that dwell in them, they also have scopes to get a better look at nesting birds. The best low tides come in June and July. Good chance to see Eagles they love to get carryout from the nesting birds.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Across the bridge are a couple of small fishing towns, (Ilwaco) Coast Guard Station and Cape Disappointment State Park. Also 2 very picturesque light houses and a great Lewis and Clark center.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Wavesprite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Does anyone have any ideas on what is on the other side ot he bridge to Washington from Astoria? We are spending 5 nights at Ft Stevens next month and the kids want to drive over the bridge.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
GKs and GPs will love Astoria. Stay at Ft Stevens or Lewis and Clark Golf and RV park. GO TO THE MARITIME MUSEUM you can even park the rig there. Go across the street to the Bow Picker one of if not the best fish and chip restaurants anywhere. No frills and you will wait in line of course but don't miss it. Then hop on the Astoria river front trolley. Trust me everyone will have a great experience. And the Lewis and Clark Fort and kayak trip is also great.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
winnietrey wrote:
Yes that one DTR. To tell the truth, if just us, would rather be at Fort Stevens. But she loves to swim, and the rest of the kid activities. Reason with her we do KOA'S. BTW are the bike trails flat? Or at least not super hilly?

Your grand daughter will like it at that KOA. We've stayed there a few times when my kids were younger as we lived only about 5 miles from there until 2012.

The paved bike paths around there are very flat as you are on the coast and barely any elevation change. Drive north to the South Jetty and go up on the observation tower. You can also walk out to the east side of the jetty to the Columbia River. If you go on the ocean side of the jetty, be aware that cars are allowed to drive on the beach here.

If you are looking for a nice hike, go into Seaside down to the cove and then follow the road up onto the cliff area. There is a trailhead for hiking Tillamook Head.

Further south on Hwy 101, look for Oswald West State Park and take an easy hike down to the cove there. Old growth forest which is very beautiful and you end up in a cove where you can walk around. Some natural fresh water features let out there and chances are a fair amount of surfers in the area. There is no driving on the beach in this area.

Another nice area is Ecola State Park (Indian Cove) which is on the north side of Cannon Beach. Again, nice and no cars allowed to drive on this stretch.

Please also make sure that if you are walking on the beach, always be aware of the ocean. So, make sure you are facing the ocean to know if a big set of waves might be approaching. Many have lost loved one's by not be aware of their surroundings while near the ocean. You don't need to be paranoid about it, just aware.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
You could camp in Ft Stevens itself.
The trails are awesome. They're paved and when we were there, patrolled by police although we didn't see any need for it.
You'll have a great time.

Wavesprite
Explorer II
Explorer II
We stayed there about 5 years ago and it was fine. The pool is indoors (and small), and quite crowded, but the kids love the bouncy pillow thing. There was a weird incident with a raccoon walking around every day in the campground that they wouldn't do anything about....I'm talking mid day! So we didn't feel comfortable just letting the kids run around too much!

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer
Yes that one DTR. To tell the truth, if just us, would rather be at Fort Stevens. But she loves to swim, and the rest of the kid activities. Reason with her we do KOA'S. BTW are the bike trails flat? Or at least not super hilly?

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
We camp a lot at Fort Stevens. It's one of our go to places.
I guess you are looking at the KOA across the street from Ft. Stevens...not our style but for kids I guess it's a good choice. (video arcade, bouncy house, etc.).

Bike trails at Ft. Stevens are absolutely first rate. Miles and miles and miles of them, all well maintained and paved. You can easily get lost and wonder around circling and looking for a way out, but they are somewhat marked with signage.
There is lots to do in Astoria and you can wander down to Seaside for a real tourist adventure....shells and t-shirts, cotton candy and merry-go-round.
5 Miles from Ft. Stevens has exploded. Costco, Home Depot, Super Walmart (in construction) and every kind of strip mall stuff.

Have a good trip.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro