cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Austin, Tx in April ??

Bill_T
Explorer
Explorer
This April we will make our first visit to Texas. We will be attending a wedding. The wedding will be held northwest of Austin.
Could some of you recommend good campgrounds in the general area. In the southeast we enjoy Forest Service, COE's, state parks, etc.
Bill and Debbie
2007.5 SILVERADO HD DA CREWCAB LTZ 4X4 ARE CAP
2003 Nash 25S TT

2012 Lance 855S

1996 Coleman Taos pop-up
1970 jeepster,v-6
18 REPLIES 18

Bill_T
Explorer
Explorer
2112 - Got it posted in the to-do book.

Thanks
Bill and Debbie
2003 Nash 25S TT

2012 Lance 855S

1996 Coleman Taos pop-up
1970 jeepster,v-6

Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are looking for an interesting road to travel in the area drive FM1431 from Ceder Park to Marble Falls. This stretch of Texas Hill Country road has been voted #1 or #2 in area motorcycle magazines for several years.

Once in Marble Falls stop by the Bluebonnet Cafe for a slice of pie.
If wife is into the old downtown antique type shops she would enjoy that in MFalls as well. There are plenty of places for the hubby to hang out while he waits. I've spent many hours holding down a bench eating ice cream there.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
Bill T wrote:
Hey Mountain Mama - What's a nightcap ping fee, an adult beverage? Or is that a typo? lol

on edit - I see the typo corrected itself, durn, thought I was going to get a cheap drink.

I know! Goofy auto spell....and I can't see the boo boos until I post and read it since I'm posting from iPad mini. Then I can edit it, which I did.
2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34RLT

Bill_T
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Mountain Mama - What's a nightcap ping fee, an adult beverage? Or is that a typo? lol

on edit - I see the typo corrected itself, durn, thought I was going to get a cheap drink.
Bill and Debbie
2003 Nash 25S TT

2012 Lance 855S

1996 Coleman Taos pop-up
1970 jeepster,v-6

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
If you are planning on staying several days at TX state parks on your trip & depending on number of people in your group, it may pay you to purchase a state park pass( $70). It covers the daily entrance fees which are per person. It can pay for itself pretty quickly (sometimes); do the math. Plus it gives you two nighs camping fees at half price. Each state parks daily fees are different, usually $3-7 per person per day. You can see the fees at each park at the state park website. Just Google Texas state parks & then look at each park's info. You can purchase a pass at any state park when you arrive, but ask about it before you check in. Enjoy your trip!

Bill_T
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Greg - got them entered in my to-do list.
Bill and Debbie
2003 Nash 25S TT

2012 Lance 855S

1996 Coleman Taos pop-up
1970 jeepster,v-6

1971duster340
Explorer
Explorer
McKinney Falls is an oasis in the city. Haven't been there in years, but went many times with the kids. If they can't accommodate you, Hwy 71 RV Park, Cedar Creek, is about 7mi East of Austin. It's always our camping place when we're in the area. I guess Austin food discussion would be in order. I am surprised to learn our most favorite Mexican cook, Mariana's Kitchen, has moved. They were just a mile from the park, but now on I35. Dan's (Shady Ln & Airport Blvd.) has good burgers and breakfast. Pok-e-Joe's BBQ is worth mentioning. Just 25mi. South on US183 is Lockhart, TX. Many BBQ offerings, but you'll get to Kreuz Market first and no reason to go farther.
Greg
N5LFH
2007 Chariot

Bill_T
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds good Major Dad, thanks for the info. And, we plan on heading down your way after the wedding. Got to see the Alamo!
Bill and Debbie
2003 Nash 25S TT

2012 Lance 855S

1996 Coleman Taos pop-up
1970 jeepster,v-6

Major_Dad
Explorer
Explorer
Bill T wrote:
OK Mountain Mama will do, thanks for the heads up. I wonder what the temps will be that time of year, and flying bugs? And as long as I'm in the asking mode does anyone have any idea where we can board our dog, we do not leave him in the camper when we are not there.

Highs can be in the 80s to even low 90s, lows in the 50s-60s. April can be tough to predict down here; it depends on the time of month, and what the fronts bring. As I remember, we had a surprise freeze in San Antonio the first week of April last year.

As far as bugs, it just depends on rainfall amount and temperatures. We don't have bugs this time of year like the Gulf Coast or the eastern pineywoods, though if there has been rain there could be some mosquitoes. We did see some dormant fire ant mounds last month walking around the park. This part of Texas isn't too bad for flying insects generally.

Don't know about local kennels. Austin is proudly advertised as a dog-friendly town so I am sure there are good kennels in the area, though the urban gentry there may call them something like "dog daycare" or "dog resorts".
2017 Thor Compass 23TR last RV
MV-1 Mobility ventures wheelchair van
DH+DW 36+ years
Millie the fawn brindle greyhound

Bill_T
Explorer
Explorer
OK Mountain Mama will do, thanks for the heads up. I wonder what the temps will be that time of year, and flying bugs? And as long as I'm in the asking mode does anyone have any idea where we can board our dog, we do not leave him in the camper when we are not there.
Bill and Debbie
2003 Nash 25S TT

2012 Lance 855S

1996 Coleman Taos pop-up
1970 jeepster,v-6

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
Major Dad wrote:
Bill T wrote:
McKinney Falls State Park it is. 12 minutes away, sweet.
Major Dad any site recommendations or some to sway away from? Thanks for the recommendation.

And thanks for the other replies. We want to roam around the area. We are not city people but do want to see some of Austin's sights. Mostly we want to see the Hill Country, have no idea what it is but am anxious to see it. It may have been in Corey Ford's " The Lower Forty" were the club spent a lot of time hunting and fishing in the Hill country. We are looking forward to our trip.

Thanks Folks

There are lots of nice sites a McKinney Falls. I would avoid the usual suspects...near bathhouses and dumpsters. Some sites are in the open, some wooded. Just ask at the office for your preference.
We were on the 50 amp loop and had a large campsite in the open, which is fine for us for the last week in December. Some sites have a terraced picnic table area, which we enjoyed in the past.

We stay there because our son lives in SE Austin, and it is a nice location for Austin sightseeing. I recommend visiting the Bullock Texas History Museum..a new museum with some incredible exhibits, including the LaSalle ship LaBelle. I was able to park my Ram Megacab 4X4 in the parking garage, though it was a tight fit. Even if you don't go into the museum, that garage is in a nice location to take off on foot to see the capitol building and university. Texas History Museum

You will be assigned a site when you arrive, but ask if you can check out other available sites on your way in. They told us if we found one we like better to just call them & let them know & they would make the change. Shouldn't be a problem!

Major_Dad
Explorer
Explorer
Bill T wrote:
Major Dad any site recommendations or some to sway away from? Thanks for the recommendation.

And thanks for the other replies. We want to roam around the area. We are not city people but do want to see some of Austin's sights. Mostly we want to see the Hill Country, have no idea what it is but am anxious to see it. It may have been in Corey Ford's " The Lower Forty" were the club spent a lot of time hunting and fishing in the Hill country. We are looking forward to our trip.

Thanks Folks

There are lots of nice sites a McKinney Falls. I would avoid the usual suspects...near bathhouses and dumpsters. Some sites are in the open, some wooded. Just ask at the office for your preference.
We were on the 50 amp loop and had a large campsite in the open, which is fine for us for the last week in December. Some sites have a terraced picnic table area, which we enjoyed in the past.

We stay there because our son lives in SE Austin, and it is a nice location for Austin sightseeing. I recommend visiting the Bullock Texas History Museum..a new museum with some incredible exhibits, including the LaSalle ship LaBelle. I was able to park my Ram Megacab 4X4 in the parking garage, though it was a tight fit. Even if you don't go into the museum, that garage is in a nice location to take off on foot to see the capitol building and university. Texas History Museum
2017 Thor Compass 23TR last RV
MV-1 Mobility ventures wheelchair van
DH+DW 36+ years
Millie the fawn brindle greyhound

Bill_T
Explorer
Explorer

Thanks Folks
Bill and Debbie
2003 Nash 25S TT

2012 Lance 855S

1996 Coleman Taos pop-up
1970 jeepster,v-6

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Additional options outside Austin are Bastrop State Park and the two LCRA parks on Lake Bastrop.

Since you are in a truck camper - you should not need 50Amp, or a FHU site. That would be $17 per night at Bastrop, $20 at the LCRA parks.

Be sure and make some time to take a drive to the Hill Country west of Austin - US-290 to Johnson City, the roads around the Colorado River lakes, etc. Absolutely stunning scenery.

April will also be a great time to take a swim at Hamilton Pool
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT