cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Baker's Hole CG - West Yellowstone

mesoman7
Explorer
Explorer
Planning a short trip up to Yellowstone (only 3hrs from home). I was looking at Baker's Hole, a Forest Service campground just north of West Yellowstone. It is 1st come 1st serve, so I was wondering how difficult it is to find a spot there. I will be there late July, midweek. If it is full, I will probably just boondock in the area.
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 19ft
2016 Toyota Tundra SR5 TRD V-8
10 REPLIES 10

mesoman7
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! Good information...as always. Thanks all for the quick response.

Now the wife thinks we should use my days off to work on the property rather than go camping. I see I have some "educating" to do...

Ivylog - Good idea! I will pay $65 to stay in a parking lot instead! Thanks for the "tip". :B
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 19ft
2016 Toyota Tundra SR5 TRD V-8

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
You can get water at the entrance and about every 300' around both areas of the CG.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We've gotten there by late morning and have gotten a site with our 40' MH. There's usually musical chairs in the morning when the electric sites become vacant then the dry campers move to them which frees up the dry camping spots. We prefer the dry camping spots - nice river views. Come in with full water and empty tanks. Good luck!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Was there last month and no problem getting an electric site by arriving before noon. The worse that might happen is you get a non electric site the first day and then move to an electric when someone leaves the next day. The tags on the posts will tell you when people are leaving so you can pay for that site in advance... might want to ask them that they are not going to stay longer.
I've stayed there several times and no real problem with my 42'.

ON EDIT: TERRIBLE CG... go to West Yellowstone and pay $65 to stay in a modified parking lot so it will not be full the next time I'm trying to get in.:W
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
We use this CG just about every summer. Never have had a problem getting a site and we usually pick an electric site. We have a 39' fiver and dually crew cab and could get into 95% of the sites, power or no power. The previous poster noted that the dry sites along the Madison River were the larger ones, I'd say the reverse is true. 11 AM to 3 PM is the best time to try to arrive. Try to avoid getting there on Fridays. One of the few places that allow a 16 day stay instead of 14. We usually max it out. There is a water fill just after entering the CG and there is dispersed water thruout the CG. The fancy place up town (Grizzly RV Park) charges $6.00 to dump. There is an electric site that is a handicapped site. If the rules are the same this season as has been in the past, it is held until 6 PM and if no handicapped stickered rig shows up, it is free game. And the price is right!

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
The non-electrical sites are larger. I like the ones on the river. I had not problem with my 33 foot TT. Even when I arrive late there are open sites, but I have never been during peak summer (while school is out) season.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

just_me
Explorer
Explorer
Been there a couple times and really liked it. My choice cause Yellowstone is always full and hard to get my rig into. by noon as suggested. When I was there last in 2012, they were going to add more power further into the park, which is a great asset.
95 Dodge CC #5 TST plate Flame Red/Silver
not totaly stock
2007 fiver
Tag Ma-haul has been suggested for a name but now The Shoe box

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed there the end of July 2011 and had no problem getting an electrical site. You should get there about noon to have the best chance of getting a site. The only hookup is electrical on some sites so you should come in with empty holding tanks and full fresh water. They did have water available to fill your tanks. Below are a couple of pictures of site 37 where we stayed for a week. It was tight getting in with our 40 footer but doable.

John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

narcodog
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have stayed there several times and never had problem getting a site. I stayed in Aug and Sept.

Camreal
Explorer
Explorer
Have not been there. Check out the reviews at http://www.rvparkreviews.com. Looks like some good info .