cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Batteries

cliffy49
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wife and I are thinking about spending a couple of days at Quartzite this Jan and were going to try spending it in the desert. I know the battery that have now is not really the best for this(Interstate 24 SRM Marine/RV) so I was thinking about two of these;

https://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/sligc110

Would the work for a first attempt at boondocking. I don't really don't want to spend the money on a Trojan battery or something even more expensive since this is our first try at this.

Thanks for all your feedback.
cliffy49
2016 F150 Ecoboost & max tow (Gone)
2021 Silverado Custom 2500HD
2018 Catalina TH26 Toy hauler
32 REPLIES 32

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
RickLight wrote:
Hard to beat $75 for 100AH

https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-Lead-Acid-Marine-RV-Deep-Cycle-Battery-Group-Size-24DC/180350522
Realistically closer to 80 AH for a group 24 or 160 AH for the pair.

The pair of GC2 is 215 AH or 34% more capacity.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
To make the generator effective you also need to review the charging system. Some are excellent and others just trickle charge at 13.6 volts. Please post the converter model number for best suggestions.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
RickLight wrote:
Depending on your goals, yes. Cheaper batteries won't last as many years, but they will last as many hours as similarly rated ones.

A pair of golf cart batteries will likely cost less than a pair of Group 24, dual purpose Marine/RV batteries and will store more energy.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
cliffy49 wrote:
Wife and I are thinking about spending a couple of days at Quartzite this Jan and were going to try spending it in the desert. I know the battery that have now is not really the best for this(Interstate 24 SRM Marine/RV) so I was thinking about two of these;

https://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/sligc110

Would the work for a first attempt at boondocking. I don't really don't want to spend the money on a Trojan battery or something even more expensive since this is our first try at this.

Thanks for all your feedback.

6 volt batteries are good, with more amp hours than most run of the mill 12 volt RV batteries. But you still have to manage your power usage as they will run out of power surprisingly fast if you don't.

As said above if you have access to a Sams club or Costco, or have a friend with access you can save a bit of money.

Sams
Costco
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

RickLight
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hard to beat $75 for 100AH

https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-Lead-Acid-Marine-RV-Deep-Cycle-Battery-Group-Size-24DC/180350522
Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
PullRite Superglide

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
That Champion generator will do you great service. A 100-200w solar system is perfect for Quartzite. You'll need a lot of water too....but there are delivery trucks out there for that. Have fun there.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
If you are taking the genny as backup, it may not matter so long as you are comfortable with running it for hours a day.
If you want to try more boondocking I would go with the pair of GC-2's. More usable amp hours than a pair of group 24 rv/marine batteries (almost double) and you can expect a longer life since you wont be running them as hard compared to their ability.
You may find that you wont be using the genny any more than every other or every third day with the added battery capability.

cliffy49
Explorer II
Explorer II
RickLight wrote:
cliffy49 wrote:
In this case, would I be better off getting two new Interstates and wire them to double the amp hours?

Depending on your goals, yes. Cheaper batteries won't last as many years, but they will last as many hours as similarly rated ones. What will you do after this trip?

I wouldn't dream of going to Quartzite without a generator or lots of solar. Remember that lead acid batteries take hours to charge. Without a generator you would have to drive somewhere and spend time to get charged.

Actually we are not sure what we will do after this trip. As I said, this will be our first try at boondocking so we are not real sure we will like it. I would not have a problem but the wife may be more comfortable with all the comforts. That is why we will be taking the 3100Champion genny.

This is also why I don't want to go out and spend a whole lot if I am not sure we will be doing more of this. Got to admit, I don't think there are a lot of boondocking opportunities in central Ky.
cliffy49

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
cliffy49 wrote:
RickLight wrote:
Nothing wrong with those.

But if you're thinking of a short term or temporary solution there might be better choices. Golf cart batteries are good at charge cycling. They do far better than standard lead acid being deeply drained. They often come in high capacity too.

For a single trip, total amp hours is what you need. For my first long trip I got some cheap Walmart 'deep cycle'. Under $100 each! Granted I abused them and killed them in a season. I did that because like you I wasn't ready to spend big bucks on a long term kit. After that I was ready and just finished a lithium conversion. It's all in knowing your goals!

In this case, would I be better off getting two new Interstates and wire them to double the amp hours?

No, you would not be better off. The two Duracell give you more amp hours and have a longer life span than the Interstate 24's.

RickLight
Explorer III
Explorer III
cliffy49 wrote:

Depending on your goals, yes. Cheaper batteries won't last as many years, but they will last as many hours as similarly rated ones. What will you do after this trip?

I wouldn't dream of going to Quartzite without a generator or lots of solar. Remember that lead acid batteries take hours to charge. Without a generator you would have to drive somewhere and spend time to get charged.
Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
PullRite Superglide

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Duracell golf cart batteries are sold at almost all Sam's Clubs at a very good price.

Interstate golf cart batteries are sold at almost all Costcos also at a very good price.

No they are not Trojan T105, but they are decent batteries. A pair will hold more energy than the pair of Group 24s you have now (about 225 Ah vs 180 Ah) and will likely cost you less !

I would still take a generator and battery charger, "just in case". Don't count on charging your house batteries from you vehicle unless you have a DC-DC charger.

cliffy49
Explorer II
Explorer II
voodoo101 wrote:
Agree that for two nights you are fine -- IF you just use them for lights, a little furnace and perhaps charging some phones etc. Just pay attention to your usage. If you or the family screw up and use too much you can usually find a friendly neighbor with a generator to get you over the hump. Enjoy.

Actually the new Champion 3100 generator is on the way. Supposed to be delivered this Wednesday. I had planned on taking it with us but just to use for the time at Quartzite.
cliffy49

cliffy49
Explorer II
Explorer II
RickLight wrote:
Nothing wrong with those.

But if you're thinking of a short term or temporary solution there might be better choices. Golf cart batteries are good at charge cycling. They do far better than standard lead acid being deeply drained. They often come in high capacity too.

For a single trip, total amp hours is what you need. For my first long trip I got some cheap Walmart 'deep cycle'. Under $100 each! Granted I abused them and killed them in a season. I did that because like you I wasn't ready to spend big bucks on a long term kit. After that I was ready and just finished a lithium conversion. It's all in knowing your goals!

cliffy49

voodoo101
Explorer
Explorer
Agree that for two nights you are fine -- IF you just use them for lights, a little furnace and perhaps charging some phones etc. Just pay attention to your usage. If you or the family screw up and use too much you can usually find a friendly neighbor with a generator to get you over the hump. Enjoy.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Two nights with minimal furnace should be easy with those.