cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best Northern California Spot with 40ft 5th

WackAway
Explorer
Explorer
We're filling in this years camping calendar and would like some input on some good Boondocking locations in Northern California or Nevada.

Where:
Western or Eastern Sierra Nevada Mountains.
Within 150 miles of Highways 49, 50, 80, 88, 89 and 395.

What:
Quiet spots that I can get a 40ft 5'r into.
Close to creek, river or lake. The closer the better.
Can be BLM, State Park, National Park, Private, etc as long as it is lightly used.
The lonelier the better.

When:
Anytime between March and November.

Thanks in advance,
Todd & Victri
"Looking for the perfect spot and points in-between"
2017 Ford F350 Lariat Super Duty 4x4
2017 KZ Durango Gold G380FLF 40ft
800W Solar | Morningstar TS-MPPT-60 | Aims 3000W Inverter Charger
31 REPLIES 31

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
In the Lassen area, Heferd Ranch on Hat Creek and just beyond (north) PG&E campground in Cassel. Both on water and Cassel also has Baum Lake to float tube or fish from the bank. I had my Montana 5th wheel in both campgrounds no problem.
2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
In fitting a large MH into boondocking areas, I'd be more concerned with ground clearance and high centering dangers more than I would level of driving skill. Also, hairpin turns on mountain roads are no place for a long vehicle. Driving skill can go only so far.

One of our main concerns in boondock camping is a breakdown way out there where ERS can't or won't go - especially when not towing (for best access to small intimate campsites).
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
I am not sure how anyone would get a 40 footer to good boondocking spots. It is hard enough to squeeze into most campgrounds. It is one reason I would never own one.

There is a trick to it. When I was boondocking in my 40' class A I often had to disconnect the pickup that I towed and have the Wife drive it in behind me.

It can be surprising where you can go with a modest level of skill driving your rig and a bit of common sense.
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have seen good boondocking for big rigs on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, out in the Kaibab National Forest. The Sierra Nevada, not so much. I'm sure it exists but is much harder to find.

While I, too, really like my little RV, there are times when a bigger unit looks awfully nice -- for example, during a long stretch of bad weather. The intensity of cabin fever is inversely proportional to the cubic footage of your RV. (I just invented that formula -- but I bet it is fairly accurate.)
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am not sure how anyone would get a 40 footer to good boondocking spots. It is hard enough to squeeze into most campgrounds. It is one reason I would never own one.

Coyote1
Explorer
Explorer
We use to live above Sonora just off 108 and have been over the pass many times. To recommend not taking an RV over it is putting it mildly. The pass is almost 10,000 ft. and very steep at the top. The hairpin turns are no joke. I have seen a few small rv's on the road but they are always chugging along very slowly and holding up traffic. Even our car or truck found the altitude and steep road a chore. Strong motor and good brakes are a must.
By the way, it is a beautiful drive and a stop at the top is a must.
2008 28' Class C, Gulf Stream Yellowstone GX2, F-450 w/6.0 Diesel

JT
Explorer
Explorer
"Not sure where the one on the west is."
---
IIRC, the sign (for the "eastbound and down") on 108 is just past Dardanelle campground. Much of the road, including the infamous 26% stretch (it's extremely short, but it's there), is very narrow, steep, "hairpinny", and with drop-offs.

I would drive this road, up or down, in my 24' widebody class C *IF* there were a guarantee that I wouldn't meet an oncoming vehicle, particularly one which is too big for the road and jammed up on a curve! Since this guarantee doesn't exist, and because there's just no place to get by along many stretches, unless one has a "small" vehicle, do heed the warning signs and take another route.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
WackAway, here is a link to our blog entry about the east side of Sonora Pass, off 108 -- not a good place for a big rig, but there are lots of day trips and hikes available, even if you are camped on the west side of the pass:

Sonora Pass area
About our trailer

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not sure where the one on the west is. On the east, it's near Leavitt Meadows. If you look on google images for "sonora pass 26 percent grade sign," you will see what I mean.
About our trailer

WackAway
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
I'm sure you know this, but do not take a big rig past the "no big rig" signs on 108. I have seen stuck rigs on that road, and the traffic ticket is a very big number.

No, I didn't know that. I've never been on 108 before, except for "Google Earth" haha. Where are these signs at for the western and eastern limits?

Thanks in advance.
Todd & Victri

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm sure you know this, but do not take a big rig past the "no big rig" signs on 108. I have seen stuck rigs on that road, and the traffic ticket is a very big number.
About our trailer

WackAway
Explorer
Explorer
This is all great help everyone. We will have fun with our 15 dogs and 8 kids in these places. Just kidding... Just me, the wife and a little Cavalier Spaniel.

Highways 305 and 108 look really good for campsites being close to the water. Now I gotta teach the wife how to fly fish. Lessons might be better though. I want to stay married ๐Ÿ™‚
Todd & Victri

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We always had good luck using this site with our 40' motorhome. It gives good directions, also.

http://www.forestcamping.com/dow/pictures/pictures.htm

There are many good spots along 395.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.recreation.gov/campgroundDirectoryListByAgencyID.do?contractCode=NRSO&agencyID=70902

Maybe this? Select State of interest.
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot