cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Boondocking areas around Keystone Resort, CO??

sgrizzle
Explorer
Explorer
We really want to boondock in a national forest in the Keystone Resort area. Any suggestions? This will be next may/june. Thanks!
16 REPLIES 16

Off_Pavement
Explorer II
Explorer II
When we lived in Denver, our joke was only rookies headed camping Memorial Day weekend... it was always cold in the high country whether there was snow on the ground or not.

You could get off I-70 at the Minturn exit and head south. About 1/2 way between I-70 and Leadville is the old 10th Mountain Division training area called Camp Hale. It's a large valley and there are places you can find in the valley, as well as up Homestake Creek road that is about 5 or so miles north of Camp Hale to boondock. This road has never been smooth when we've been up and very slow going but there are a few really nice spots along the creek. We were in our 36' DP towing our Jeep last trip.
The Road To Paradise Is NOT Paved!
Please Support Multiple Use of our Public Lands!

Brian Hoag
www.rv-camping.org
'10 Sunseeker Class C - Gozer II
'13 Jeep JKU (Wrangler) - Billie

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
sgrizzle wrote:
What can you tell me about Gore Creek Campground? It is just east of Vail. It looks like easy access, no electricity and only about 15 sites...

Would it be possible in late May?

In the past, I haven't usually listed this CG as a possibility, as it was entirely first come, first served. I notice that they have opened up many of the sites for reservations. The reservations system begins taking spots on May 22, so I guess they hope to have it open by then. So far, winter here hasn't been great snow-wise, but it's hard to predict the amounts we might get in March and April. I guess I'd make a reservation and if things don't open up there, go to one of the BLM sites I recommended. With a dozen reservable sites available for RV's, I'd move quickly to snap one up.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

sgrizzle
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. I'm not looking to "not pay". We just really would like to try camping in a remote area. I might be too big for some, but just would really like to drive into a national forest and find a nice place to stop and enjoy the peace and quiet of the mountains.

We have always stayed in developed campgrounds and we like the national park/state parks better than the resorts.

Oldtymeflyr
Explorer
Explorer
Just before Copper Mountain there is a parking area right on I70 by some ponds and you may be able to stay the night, no jacks or slides and you will probably be okay. If you can hold out until highway 65 then take it south, the only way you can go and within a mile you will be able to pull over to a parking area for the night. Will some one bother you, I cannot say.

Keystone is prime real estate they do not want people who do not pay around there. You have to pay to occupy a spot, they have bills to pay.

I have found no name types of places to be best for boondocking.

Your rig is big. Good luck.

sgrizzle
Explorer
Explorer
What can you tell me about Gore Creek Campground? It is just east of Vail. It looks like easy access, no electricity and only about 15 sites...

Would it be possible in late May?

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
For just a quick stop, your best bet might be a couple of BLM CG's in the Walcott/Gypsum area. About an hour past Frisco. Check out this link for info on how to get there: http://www.blm.gov/style/medialib/blm/co/field_offices/crvfo/recreation_documents.Par.16867.File.dat....

On weekends, he one near Gypsum may be easier to get a spot than the Wolcott site. Seems like rafters like to camp at the one at Wolcott.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm familiar with the LaSalles and there is good camping there. The only thing you want to watch is the roads going into the camping areas and rain. The main road in is very good gravel, but at the campsites it is dirt and will rut and be greasy for a day or so after a rain. Very nice area to boondock. Good trout fishing in the lakes and ponds too!

COnative
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wouldn't count anything out. It all depends on mother nature. If you can be flexible, and watch the weather, you may have a trip of a life time. Send me a PM if you haven't been to moab and are looking for fun things to do. It is an awesome place. I can also tell you about places near grand Junction and Fruita to stay.
2014 RAM 3500 SRW Laramie Mega
2021 Lance 865
05 StarCraft Homestead Rancher 29BHTS 5er
Pullrite Slider hitch
Champion Remote Start 3100 Watt Inverter Gen Set
Champion 2000 watt inverter Gen Set
All torklift

sgrizzle
Explorer
Explorer
ok, thanks for the ideas...just to clarify for me...to me, boondocking is not staying overnight in a walmart parking lot. That is stopping for a quick, late, late night nap. I am looking for National Forest/BLM spots along I-70, to the Moab, UT area. I am a teacher, so we need to wait until Memorial Day week to go.

It sounds like it may be too cold/cool/damp/muddy for Colorado, but may be pushing too hot for the Moab area? Bummer!

COnative
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah, Keystone is a stretch for boondocking, especially in May/June. If we have a banner year, we are still skiing in late May. Keep your finger crossed! If not it's mud season. You may want to head to the Salida area. It's a bit of a banana belt area and there is BLM land all around. A bit south, but nice. There are alot of options around Denver to stay and watch the weather and look for a good towing window if need be. I've towed in big storms, its doable but no fun and not worth it... Personally I'd trek over the mountains and into the Fruita area in May on a dry day. Plenty of boondocking around there for a stay over and just 1.5 - 2 hours to Moab. Moab in June can be hot too. Have fun!
2014 RAM 3500 SRW Laramie Mega
2021 Lance 865
05 StarCraft Homestead Rancher 29BHTS 5er
Pullrite Slider hitch
Champion Remote Start 3100 Watt Inverter Gen Set
Champion 2000 watt inverter Gen Set
All torklift

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
There's always the Walmart parking lot in Frisco! They have allowed one-night camping in the past.

Until this year, Copper Mountain allowed dry camping in their parking lot at I-70 and CO 91. But that is now a thing of the past. You might be able to spend the night on the gravel lot south of the Wheeler Junction gas station across CO 91 from Copper.

If you are using I-76 from Nebraska to Denver, you will pass right by two of the best free camping spots in Colorado. Riverside Park is just north of the Interstate in Fort Morgan and has free electrical hookups and paved roads and camping slots, but no water or dump. The park is terrific, with a pool (with showers), ball fields, playgrounds, lots of grass, and huge cottonwood trees that shade many of the campsites. A few miles further east, Brush Municipal Campground has a dozen or so electrical hookups, water, and a dump and the first night is free.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

avoidcrowds
Explorer
Explorer
Well, since you are trying to get to Moab, I assume you picked Keystone as a possible layover, due to distance traveled. But, most of the land close to I-70 is private. I can't think of any boondocking possibilities for a rig your size, close to I-70, especially that early in the summer.

As you head west from Keystone, you will still find mostly private land (no National Forest) along I-70. You would have to go at least 30 miles off if I-70 to get to any National Forest land with camping prospects. Again, though, that time of year, you will likely have lots of mud, and many gates will still be closed.

I would bite the bullet and look at the two NF campgrounds by Frisco (other side of Lake Dillon). Or, you could head north on Hwy 9, and go to Green Mountain Reservoir. N39.867569 W106.278065. Lots of NF campgrounds around that lake. Not many trees, but you may want the sun on your unit to warm it up without so much propane.

Look at GoogleEarth, and turn on the National Forests. You will see the boundaries, and see how far you may have to travel from I-70 to get to the forest.

Good luck!
2017.5 Lance 1995
2017 F150 EcoBoost, Max Tow
Most camping off-road

sgrizzle
Explorer
Explorer
Good point. We were trying to get to the Moab area before it got way too hot...are you familiar at all with the LaSalle Mtns? Would that be a possibility?

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
What avoidcrowds is also trying to tell you is that time of year is very iffy in the high country. It all depends on what type of winter they had if the snow has even melted off so you could get off the road to camp.At Keystone valley you are at 9200' elevation and almost anywhere you would go camping is just going to be higher.

I lived in CO for 27 years and there were lot of times we couldn't make it into the high country till the end of June.

Good Luck
Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2021 Winnebago View