cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

campground recommendation

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I need to spend a night or 2 off I-80 near the Nebraska/Wyoming line. Must have electric, and prefer not to be to high in mountains. In a pop-up that for sure smell enough to call bears, so that is a issue. Any ideas?
11 REPLIES 11

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to check www.campgroundreviews.com Real campers sharing their own experiences. I've used it whenever I"m going to a new area.
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

dedmiston
JRscooby wrote:
BTW, you said you moved this thread. I thank you, but I can't find the heading to get here without using the closed one.

Can you see it from HERE?

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
We have also stayed at Firefighters campgound at the top of the Uintas. Nice, tree-shaded cg, but no hookups and they charge extra to dump because it is run by a Forest Service contractor.

Cabela's in Sidney is a great place to stay and a day's drive east of there on I-80 is the Cabella's on the west side of Omaha. It is visible from I-80 and in an area with plenty of gas stations and restaurants.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
re NE Utah from Rock Springs WY.......that's a long drive, but I guess you could do it as a long day trip.......if you're talking about going south down to Dutch John on 191 and then back north through Manila and highway 530, or just reversing up 191 back to Rock Springs.
And from what you said about driving a day, camping a night and driving on....
you can do it...but stay at the Firefighters campground south of Dutch John and up on top of the pass. Nice campground.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Ed_C
Explorer
Explorer
We like both Cheyenne KOA and Cabela's in Sidney. Which we stay at depends on the distance to the next stop or from the last one.
Ed/Jeanie & Slade the GSD
2017 Entegra Aspire 42 RBQ/ Sierra Crew

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
dedmiston wrote:
Which direction are you traveling?

There's a KOA in Cheyenne. I don't know anything about the KOA, but Cheyenne is an interesting little place to spend a few nights.

And while I'm here, I'm moving your post to a forum where you'll get better responses.

Which direction? First thought is do CG change? Left turn issue? But as I'm asking for help I should not be a smart a$$:o
I will be making a round trip, so will likely be stopping in the same area.But west bound I can look around, pick something for the return. Wife is wanting to spend a day or 2 in NE Utah. I'm not a KOA fan, but thinking of day tripping from the 1 in Rock Springs Wy We more camp than RV. Retired, so my preferred way to travel is drive for a day, set up camp for a day, then drive again. I like to pick a different route on the return, and do not want to hassle with EB thru Kansas, so might start west that way.
BTW, you said you moved this thread. I thank you, but I can't find the heading to get here without using the closed one.

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
ditto to Cabela's at Sidney.
But Check out Pine Bluffs WY for an rv park because it is right on the state line and is a pretty little area.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

arkidog
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby,

The Cabelas at Sydney NE has a good CG. The back row has electrical only hookups that seldom get used.
Log in to RVParky.com, its free and type in Pine Bluffs, WY, its right on the border. It will give you a listing of all CGs close with reviews. Cabelas is 58 miles east.

Larry
2019 GD Momentum 21G
2012 Ram 6.7L CTD

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
The best bet is to stay in Sidney, NE. at Cabela's CG on the grounds of the store.
Nice grassy sites, full-hookup, restaurants across the street, and you can spend money in Cabela's. They have a modest charge but also have FREE overnighting in a different area. We have stayed there many times and have always been happy.

We stayed at the KOA in Cheyenne once and that was one time too many!! It is sandwiched between I-80 and railroad tracks so you will not get any quiet sleep!! Between the train whistles and rumbles and the 18 wheelers, it was terrible.
We had called them for a full hookup res and told them we would be there in an hour. When we got there, they said they didn't have anything left but an electric only site. Since it was raining, blowing, and 7:00 pm, we took it. That was my last KOA experience!!

dedmiston
Moved from General RVing.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

dedmiston
Which direction are you traveling?

There's a KOA in Cheyenne. I don't know anything about the KOA, but Cheyenne is an interesting little place to spend a few nights.

And while I'm here, I'm moving your post to a forum where you'll get better responses.

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230