cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Campgrounds Kentucky & Montana (looking for)

Sherri_Jo
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning a trip from Wisconsin to Kentucky then another from Wisconsin to Montana this summer. Any ideas for good campgrounds? Would be best to be in the northern or western part of Kentucky since we are coming down from Wisconsin. We travel with our 2 doggies so it has to be pet friendly. Prefer a waterfront site and has to have some space!! Don't enjoy campgrounds where you are right on top of each other..We travel in a big rig so it has to fit our 39' motorhome. We have been to Kentucky in the past but never with the motorhome and it will be our first trip ever to Montana. We prefer the eastern side of Montana as again we are coming from Wisconsin. If anyone is traveling to Wisconsin or the U.P. of Michigan we can give you campground tips. Thanks for any tips or advice..
Sherri Jo & Ray

2 German Shepherd big babies

and a 2005 Sunncruiser 38J Motorhome with a toad
22 REPLIES 22

Sherri_Jo
Explorer
Explorer
Ok Jim.. I trust campers more then I trust family or friends posting reviews that are not true for someone who owns a campground and I know that happens often. We are pretty social so I dont have a problem talking with other campers and sharing places to go, we do that all the time.. We are not one to sit by ourselves and not make friends. We usually end up having someone talk us into staying a few extra days.. As for Montana I said the eastern side as we are coming from Wisconsin (not that we wouldnt go farther)and for Kentucky the western or Northern part. We dont have a destination in place, we just plot out a route from the campgrounds we want to stay at and may times we make friends at the first one and end up tagging along to a few new spots or they tag along with us.. We would prefer to stay on the side of these states that is closest to Wisconsin but we are open to ideas. Sorry if thats not a good enough description, it's all I have... We many times just drive and stop when we find a place that looks interesting.. We like Wi-fi and I have a hot spot but I can live without it.. Have a 39' motorhome with slides so we like room... Love sat. TV but again I can do without if I have to... Like full hook up but we have done with only electric, just prefer not to have NO electric..and prefer 50 amp if possible but again we will work with what we have... BUT do have to have 30 amp electric at the least..
Sherri Jo & Ray

Sherri_Jo
Explorer
Explorer
In the UP our favorite place is Tourist Park in Munising.. If you dont mind giving up sewer then you can get a site that is GIANT!! We take site 5 each time we go. Its the size of way more then 10 normal sites in a campground. http://munisingtouristpark.com/ We are going again in June. Pat the host is really nice... Very dog friendly park.. Has wi-fi and you can get sat. TV also. If you go the sewer route those sites are not on top of each other but they are close. We also do O.B. Fuller which is in Escanaba. Big sites there to and again the host will stop and have a drink with you. Wi-fi there is only if you have a hot spot, they dont have it at the campground. Did you ever do the dunes at Wild Bills? it's in Silver Lake Michigan? Thats was one of the best times we ever had. I was scared to death in the beginning but it is amazing! Its so far from us across Lk. Michigan so we brought the motorhome back across on the ferry. Did I say SLOW.. 60 miles across and over 4 hours.. But it was fun. If you let me know which parts of the UP your going to I can tell you more. We go up there all the time, and LOVE it...
Sherri Jo & Ray

buckeye_nut
Explorer
Explorer
We have only been to Kentucky once and stayed at Nolan Lake close to mammoth cave. That is probably farther than you want to go. I can answer any questions if you are interested. But I would love for you to give me ideas in the upper peninsula. I was just going to post a question about good campgrounds up there. We have a 35ft fifth wheel with three slides so we also need a big space. We also like state parks not parking lots. We loved Traverse City, Sleeping bear dunes and Mackina Island. We stayed in a hotel when we were there so all I know is you cant get into the state parks cause they are booked. Any ideas of places to stay in these areas or areas like this that we can hike and bike would be very much appreciated.

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Let's see. Montana - 147,000 sq. mi. Kentucky 40,000 sq. mi. I don't suppose you could narrow it down some?
Looking for FHUs, cable, WIFI or boondocking?
Price range? What time of year?
BTW, if you don't trust RV Park Reviews, reviewed by real campers, why would you trust the real campers on this site?
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
For Ky campgrounds it's hard to beat LBL (Land Between the Lakes). There are about a half dozen very nice campgrounds with water and electric, a few with full hook ups and a pretty good number of primitive camping opportunities both in campgrounds and disbursed.

Montana is a VERY large state and it's pretty hard to point you to a particular camping area without knowing what part of the state you'll be in. Lots of NFS campgrounds though and NPS campgrounds around Glacier Nat Park.

If you change your mind and decide to stay in RV Parks someone else will need to make recommendations for both Ky and Montana.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Sherri_Jo
Explorer
Explorer
We have done RV Park reviews in the past BUT it does not always turn out how you hope. We have found that word of mouth was a bit more honest. Example> If I look up reviews for some of the area campgrounds near me, I dont find them accurate either.. We have had a few not so great experiences from reviews. Thank you for all your tips!!
Sherri Jo & Ray

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Hard to beat Kentucky Horse Park RV just north of Lexington.

And if you are going to the west side of Glacier National Park I would recommend Mountain Meadows at Hungry Horse, MT.

If you are in the far southern part of Montana, we also enjoyed staying at the Spring Creek RV Park near Big Timer, MT.

docj
Explorer
Explorer
Have you tried looking at RVParkReviews?
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels