cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

campgrounds western arkansas

Happytracks
Explorer
Explorer
Would appreciate firsthand info on the national forest or Corps of Engineers campgrounds with utilities. I would like to do some fly fishing. We have no children. Would hope to be able to hike a few trails. Looking for a tranquil setting.
If you have been there and liked the campground, would appreciate your recommendation. We have a 36' Country Coach which is easy to park in smaller spots. Have the names of some campgrounds that sound good: Shady Lake - Little Pines - Lone Pool - Cricket Creek - Clear Creek - Aux Arc - Spring Hill - Tompkins Bend. Know anything about these? Will be glad to report on all campgrounds where we stay.
Thanks,
Happytracks
6 REPLIES 6

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
Don't get many chances to mention this COE park, although I love the name, Toad Suck Ferry Park. It is just west of Conway. We jumped off I-40 on three trips out West and found this peaceful and inexpensive (with Golden Age Passport) place to spend a first night on the road.

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Also check out White River State park, it is below Bull Shoals Dam, on the river and downstream from the trout fishery
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

Tom_Trostel
Explorer
Explorer
You might also look at Beavers Bend State Park in far southeast Oklahoma (near Idabel). It looks and feels like Arkansas and the river below Beaver Lake is stocked with trout.

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Aux Arc and I remember the banks were steep to the river. Don't think you can fish from the bank. Other than that a nice park with barges going up and down the river.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

missourijan
Explorer
Explorer
The ones you mentioned are in SW Arkansas, we have stayed at Prairie Creek COE in NW Arkansas several times. It's just outside of Rogers and on Beaver Lake. It's very woodsy and shady. However, a rig your size can only stay in the sites 73 - 79, which are E & W. There are other sites in the CG that are long enough but with tight turns and hilly area would not recommend ANY other sites. There are several other COE cg's on Beaver Lake that are a little further away from town.

JohnnyT
Explorer II
Explorer II
Moved from class A forum
2004 40DS02 Travel Supreme ISL 400
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ford F150
M&G Brake & Break Away
Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow bar