cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can I whine???

Loving_God_s_Co
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sorry for this whine but we just had to cancel our big trip out west yet AGAIN because of our business!!! We planned last year to head out to South Dakota then head up to West Glacier and then down to Yellowstone before heading home from a 3 week trip!! ๐Ÿ˜ž We then replanned for this year and was supposed to leave this coming Wednesday and be gone until the end of the month and issues arose and had to cancel again! When you're the boss sometimes you have to make some hard choices in making the right decisions!! I'm sorry for the rant but we were looking soooo forward to this trip! Well, guess we'll try for next year!!
God Bless and Happy Traveling!!! ๐Ÿ™‚
25 REPLIES 25

Loving_God_s_Co
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you! ๐Ÿ™‚

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
After 3 pages of responses, no one has yet answered the OP's question posed in the thread title.

The answer is, apparently, yes. You can!

Uppercrust
Explorer
Explorer
I was lucky to be able to switch from full time to part time a couple years ago. My old job I worked weekends, holidays, nights and was hard to plan any vacation time, let alone camping. Now my DH & I enjoy more time together camping with & without kids, since I only work days and no weekends. Good luck getting away!
2012 F250 CC,FX4, Metallic blue/Silver
2012 Cruiser Patriot 345RF ๐Ÿ™‚ campers mom, dad
19 yr. old son
22 yr. old daughter
Diesel R.I.P.
Lady lab mix 16 R.I.P
Daisy beagle/collie
Misty shepard/husky
Camper's Have Smore Fun
14.5 Rallies
sleepovers 3

birddogs
Explorer
Explorer
ChooChooMan74 wrote:
I know the feeling. I go low seniority on the totem pole, and a few top guys take all their vacation in the summer. The few weeks remaining are scavenged by the middle guys. By the time it gets to me, I get May and October. No way to plan a week and go somewhere like Cedar Point.

Oh yes there is! Check out Cedar Point's Halloweekends, Sept12-Nov1.

Have fun!

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
I understand your problem. I farmed for about 45 years and any trip taking place in the summer could not be planned. When field work slowed up we just left and hoped the help would keep irrigation engines and all else going. I had one planned trip as I got invited to go to Portugal, and catch the Air Craft Carrier Carl Vinson. Our sone is a Navy pilot. Some kind of great trip just couldn't use the rv Got to farm after about 2 weeks, and found one large diesel engine blowing large amounts of black smoke, meaning something was wrong. My help had not even noticed it. So nice to be retired and spending 3 months in Colorado. Hope you get your vacation in.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

newk
Explorer
Explorer
Loving God's Country! wrote:
All I have to say is THANK YOU to all of you who responded! Because of your comments I re-evaluated what's more important and both my husband and myself realized taking time off and being together as a family and seeing this beautiful country is what's important! I sat down this evening and read all your responses and realized we needed to make a change to get back on the road and that is what we are going to do! I cannot thank you all enough for your heart felt thoughts and encouragement to stay focused and not lose sight of what's the most important in life! Thank you!! ๐Ÿ™‚

Good for you! My late wife and I were able to take ONE long vacation (4-5 weeks). We camped in our TC every night, attended two family weddings, visited her family, my family and lots of wildlife. We had a marvelous time. She died unexpectedly a year later. I'm sooooooo thankful we took that vacation! She was 50 and seemed to be in great health. You just never know....

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
When I had my business, it was small with 5 employees, I shut it down for 3 weeks. It was the last week of Aug and first two of Sept. I paid all the guys 40 hours pay and they got a check in the mail every Friday so we could take time off. I still allowed the guys to take their vacation as they wanted, as this was MY vacation and I felt it unfair to make them take their vacation when I took mine. This way I had my employees back to work when we re-opened and I didn't have to worry about things going wrong without me there. I always paid myself first and made sure we had time off to enjoy life. I knew too many people that died too young and missed the enjoyment of being with the ones they loved. Hope you get to have some fun and enjoy life while you can. In most cases, work will be there when you return.
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Had a wise fellow say to me years ago, "Decide if you Work to Live, or Live to Work"

For everything there is a season.

ttempleton
Explorer
Explorer
Just cancelled destin, Florida trip. Hate to go back and clean up and reschedule
Templeton
2003 DP Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PST

happybooker1
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think anyone on his/her deathbed ever moaned "oh I wish I'd been able to work so much more!"
2008 Tacoma Extended Cab
2009 Keystone Hideout 19FLB
Andersen "No Sway" "No Bounce" WDH

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
I can feel your pain. It is impossible for me to get away longer than 7 days. We are small and not enough people to spread the work out past 7 days. Big advantages to staying "small & intimate" but definitely has its drawbacks as well.

Loving_God_s_Co
Explorer
Explorer
All I have to say is THANK YOU to all of you who responded! Because of your comments I re-evaluated what's more important and both my husband and myself realized taking time off and being together as a family and seeing this beautiful country is what's important! I sat down this evening and read all your responses and realized we needed to make a change to get back on the road and that is what we are going to do! I cannot thank you all enough for your heart felt thoughts and encouragement to stay focused and not lose sight of what's the most important in life! Thank you!! ๐Ÿ™‚

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
I get May and October. No way to plan a week and go somewhere like Cedar Point.

My favorite times of the year to travel but it does restrict where you can go to some extent, especially if what you want to visit is seasonal.

OP, at least it's because you have BUSINESS and not because someone is ill or hurt, but I do feel your pain. Although we are RV-less at the moment, we are still traveling and have a hotel booked in Gettysburg when my son is on his fall break from school. We are locked into one week and one week only. Hubby works at a large company with a large union. Union negotiations start in August and with luck will be completed by September. However, if they opt to strike then management like him will have to hit the floor to assemble product which means we'll have to cancel. Is there any way you can change the dates of your trip?

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hang in there -- it'll happen! Very frustrating. But there is a silver lining -- at least you do have a business. I have a few unemployed friends who would love to be in your shoes right now.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."