cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cedar Point and Michigan

lindsyb
Explorer
Explorer
Starting our planning for next year - we’re in RI and are thinking of heading to Cedar Point and somewhere in Michigan as our turn-around point with possible side trips to Football HOF and Rock and Roll HOF - any suggestions for campgrounds out that way?

We will probably stay at Lighthouse Point but since it is only open when the park is open and we like to travel in shoulder seasons - looking for recommendations. Thanks!
8 REPLIES 8

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Lindsyb,

Are you looking for FHU campgrounds for the enroute ONP?

Your planned stops at the R&R HoF is not bad, but there are more than a few others. If Henry Ford Museum (HFGV) is part of the plan, include at least two whole days and that is not with the side tours. Read about it now....

If you are willing to go a little farther west, there is the Kalamazoo Air Zoo and the Gilmore collection (an unbelievable automotive museum).
If you are museum people, I could go on at some length.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

DouglasC
Explorer
Explorer
Wayne County Fairgrounds near Detroit is a good spot for camping while taking in "The Henry Ford" (Museum, Greenfield Village, Ford Rouge Factory Tour), a not to miss attraction in the Detroit area.
Doug
2006 Jayco Greyhawk Model 27DS
Towing 2019 Ford Fusion Energi with Brake Buddy

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
DutchmenSport wrote:
Geniva on the lake state park near Geniva, Ohio and Geniva itself is my choice

It's Geneva but I get the point. You can always gaze at the Nuclear plant out there...lol
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Geniva on the lake state park near Geniva, Ohio and Geniva itself is my choice

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
and take the boat trip out of the Soo.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at the Amish areas south of the HOF in Akron - lots of shopping, great Amish restaurants and a world class RV resort complete with a Laundromat that has well used buggy parking

Evergreen Park RV Resort Dundee Ohio
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

martinto
Explorer
Explorer
lindsyb wrote:
Starting our planning for next year - we’re in RI and are thinking of heading to Cedar Point and somewhere in Michigan as our turn-around point with possible side trips to Football HOF and Rock and Roll HOF - any suggestions for campgrounds out that way?

We will probably stay at Lighthouse Point but since it is only open when the park is open and we like to travel in shoulder seasons - looking for recommendations. Thanks!

Consider using RVParky...you can lay out your route and it will show you all the CG’s along the way, with ratings. Worked well for us going cross country from SC to Washington State and back thru Utah.

bid_time
Nomad II
Nomad II
I'll toss this out there, how about the Port Huron or Thumb area of Michigan and return via Canada and the bridge at Port Huron? You'll need passports or an enhanced drivers license. Even better would be going to the UP for several days and crossing at the Soo.