cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CG near Henry Ford Museum Dearborn MI

radio_flyer
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for a CG with full hook ups near the Museum. Traveling with a 37' FW. Trip will be in mid to late June. Traveling with our Lab & want to stay close.
Thanks
15 REPLIES 15

Rangerman40
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
Rangerman40 wrote:
Detroit Greenfield was a bit of a dump when I was there a couple years ago. I got stuck back in the woods on a site that was **** near impossible to get into and beside some guy who was fulltiming in some POS up on blocks.

You pull a 40 footer, right?

I do now, but at the time we were there we had our old TT which was only 26' long. It was a major PITA trying to get into the site with where the trees were in relation to the road. My wife had to keep jumping back from side to side to make sure I would clear and she NEVER has to help me get in a spot.

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
Wouldn't stay in Detroit/Greenfield (formerly KOA) even if free. Fairgrounds works just great. Large grassy field with hookups.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Rangerman40 wrote:
Detroit Greenfield was a bit of a dump when I was there a couple years ago. I got stuck back in the woods on a site that was **** near impossible to get into and beside some guy who was fulltiming in some POS up on blocks.

You pull a 40 footer, right?
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

ronfisherman
While there are not a lot of play things in Wayne County Fair Grounds. During weekends. You can find car shows, dog shows, Wayne County Fair Rodeo and other events. We have enjoy all of these while staying at the Campgrounds. We have stayed there when the Willow Run air show is on. Some of the planes fly over Fair Gound low enough to see the pilot.
We originally found out about the Campground when we attended a FMCA rally.
Still a good place to stay if you are wanting to see The Henry Ford.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
Rangerman40 wrote:
A campground with trees - what a concept. That fact that it has so many trees that it's hard to get into a spot is exactly what I like about it. Trashy neighbors are sometimes a turnoff and sometimes the nicest people you ever met. I've seen both but the few days I'm there it's generally never something that alters my life happiness.

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
Before you make that reservation for the fairgrounds be aware that it is nothing but a parking lot with hookups. There is absolutely nothing there (not even a tree). If you are looking for a place to sleep NP, otherwise there is nothing else to do there (not even a set of monkey bars). There is a decent pickninking park down the road a bit.

ronfisherman
Matt_Colie wrote:
Dan,

I am going to jump back in here again and vote for the Wayne County Fairground if you are not going to have to entertain children. We have no reason to know much about these as we share a zip code, but the county fairground didn't used to have an FHU and it was kind of sad. That has changed. It is worth a look. There are also two others that are closer, but neither is worth consideration for lots of reasons.

Matt

Teachers Pet stayed there last summer. OP send him a PM. I heard no complaints from him.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Dan,

I am going to jump back in here again and vote for the Wayne County Fairground if you are not going to have to entertain children. We have no reason to know much about these as we share a zip code, but the county fairground didn't used to have an FHU and it was kind of sad. That has changed. It is worth a look. There are also two others that are closer, but neither is worth consideration for lots of reasons.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Rangerman40
Explorer
Explorer

ronfisherman
The closet RV park to Henry Ford is Wayne County Fair Grounds.
Decent place to stay. Close to shopping, food and Camping World.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
2 days for sure !

If that was all you wanted to see in the area, there is adequate parking at the museum during the day if you get there reasonably early. Then find a Walmart that allows overnighting.

Some special events allow camping out back. No electric, water or sewer.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Sterling State Park also has full hookups, and it's about 35 min from the museum.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
Or you could add 15 minutes travel time and stay at Maumee Bay SP with nice large sites.
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Dan,

Gardner's post was about as good as you can get. The only thing I would like to add is that you get on the website for specifics of what will be going on when you get there. We were volunteers there when the kids were children, and don't follow it as much these days. Some, like civil war encampment, maker faire and motor muster are things that you may chose to get to or avoid. His 2 day remark is dead on.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.