cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Charleston, SC Campground

novi2some
Explorer
Explorer
We want to go to Charleston, SC this November on our way down to Naples, FL. We have a 36' motorhome pulling a toad. Where should we camp? I have found Oak Plantation and James Island. Is there others and which one would you choose?
Happy Campers Since 1980 and still kicking.
23 REPLIES 23

om
Explorer
Explorer
We have stayed at both and preferred James Island. It will be especially nice in November, as they will probably have their Christmas Light Display up. It is truly something spectacular to see! Their is so much to see in Charleston. We have only been there the one visit,so certainly missed a lot of sights. There is a very nice visitor center near downtown with all the information you would need. We purchased a two day plantation tour ticket for (I believe) 5 plantations-thinking it would be the best buy. It was difficult to see that many in the 2 days. Perhaps it would have been better to choose other plans. While in the general area, I would highly recommend Hunting Island State Park in Beaufort. It is only w/e, but right on the ocean. I absolutely loved it and the town of Beaufort! It is very busy in November, so highly suggest reservations. If you should decide you are interested in going there, I would be glad to suggest some sites for big rigs. Just send pm. Have fun!

smashlyash
Explorer
Explorer
Do they offer storage with towing to your site? Like how ocean lakes in Myrtle beach does. Really any campground in Charleston or anyone near by do that? Piggyback off this sorry & thanks

novi2some
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like James Island is the place to stay. Thanks. What are the priorities to see in Charleston?
Happy Campers Since 1980 and still kicking.

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
James Island.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

empty_nest
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:
JICP is undoubtedly one of the best county parks in the land. Always my choice when in the great southern city of Charleston

X2!

We were there in June '13 to tour the sights of Charleston. Would definitely be my first choice, next time we are in that area.
2008 38' Winnebago Adventurer
2012 Jeep Wrangler (Toad)
03 Ranger 520 DVX - 225 hp. Evinrude

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
JICP is undoubtedly one of the best county parks in the land. Always my choice when in the great southern city of Charleston
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Happily_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
We were at James Island in May. One of the best campgrounds we have found. They have some really nice pull throughs too.
2014 Thor Axis

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Depends on what you wish to see and how long you plan on staying.

James Island is by far the nicest and most often recommended. It has space between the sites, nice walking paths including dock to tidal creek, 5 minutes to downtown by toad, and easy access to Folly Beach. Going out of town for sight seeing is usually pretty easy once you get off the island since you then start going against rush hour traffic.

Oak Plantation is nice and great base for seeing the islands, plantations on Hwy 61, and a trip or two into town. Once rush hour clears by about 9:30am, it's a relatively quick 15 minute ride into downtown. Afternoons you either need to be back to the campground by 3:30 or just hang around downtown until about 6 unless you want to take over an hour to get back to the campground. Traffic isn't nearly the problem if visiting the islands, south of town, or plantations.

Equal to the Oaks is Mt Pleasant KOA. Once was way out of town, but now almost next door to Walmart and strip mall, but not to close. Since it is north of town, easy to get to Georgetown, Boone Hall Plantation, Bulls Island Ferry, and Patirots Point. Traffic is about the same as Oaks.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

tjfogelberg
Explorer
Explorer
Oak Plantation is South of Charleston and next to a grocery store. Very clean park with nice pool and palms. Have a great trip.