cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Charleston visiting Savannah

djbogue
Explorer
Explorer
I was wondering if anyone has used Charleston as a base to see Savannah. I know it is about a two hour drive.
2013 Chev Silverado, 2500HD D/A
2010 32' Mountaineer model 285rld
10 REPLIES 10

Loving_God_s_Co
Explorer
Explorer
We actually just returned from the area a couple weeks ago! We wanted a home base to visit both cities and chose Hunting Island State Park. It was a perfect choice as it is practically right in the middle of both! When we were not sightseeing we enjoyed ourselves on our private beach on the ocean just for the campground! It is a long drive to each city but because we've never been to the area it was nice just to see the local sites along the way!
God Bless and Happy Traveling!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

djbogue
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the suggestions. Something to plan for next year.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
brirene wrote:
djbogue wrote:
brirene, can I ask what you did for a week in Charleston?

Drabolasky started a good list. Also...city history and architecture, Civil War sites (including Fort Sumter), Sullivan's island, isle of Palms, Folly Beach, Battery Park, great food, beautiful scenery, walkable downtown, gardens; you get the picture! Also agree with James Island suggestion. Entry fee also good at other county parks.

The possibilities for things to do in Charleston are many.. One of my favorite places and a great American city.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
djbogue wrote:

Drabolasky started a good list. Also...city history and architecture, Civil War sites (including Fort Sumter), Sullivan's island, isle of Palms, Folly Beach, Battery Park, great food, beautiful scenery, walkable downtown, gardens; you get the picture! Also agree with James Island suggestion. Entry fee also good at other county parks.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

Drbolasky
Explorer
Explorer
Charleston - South Carolina Aquarium, H. L. Hunley (in N. Charleston), Hyman's Seafood, Bubba Gump's (we like them both but Hyman's has much more variety in the menu), Patriot's Point (USS Yorktown, USS Clamagore), Ft. Sumter, Magnolia Plantation, horse-drawn tours of downtown, ghost tours, open air market. Our CG of choice in Charleston is James Island County Park. Good luck, enjoy & safe travels.

Doug, Linda, Audrey (USN) & Andrew

2008 Sequoia SR-5, 5.7 L, 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB Bunkhouse, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Reese W.D. Hitch/Dual Cam Sway Control, Prodigy Brake Controller, McKesh Mirrors
:B

djbogue
Explorer
Explorer

djbogue
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I need to reevaluate my thinking and stay a few days at Savannah and Charleston. I was just trying to save from pulling the trailer down to Savannah. Thanks for the suggestions.

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
Suppose you could, but why? Both areas worthy of a longer visit, so why commute? Unless you just want to scratch the surface of Savannah. We just spent a week in Charleston and plan to do the same in Savannah soon.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Too far for me we camped near both
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some good parks near Savannah
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers