cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Colorado 9/2 Drycamping 2wd.

rerod
Explorer
Explorer
I visited pitkin CG beginning of august last year for some motorcycle trail riding, but decided to push my next visit date back to sept 2nd this year to have more camp spot choices since it was crowded.

This is my second time out and Im getting excited. The first time I was alone, but I talked my wife into joining this year and I hope she enjoys herself and wants to return again. Last year I spent allot of time riding my dirt bike around cumberland pass, taylor etc. But I want to spend more time with her doing.. um. fun things. She enjoys photography. Walks. lake mild river kayaking. biking.. So I don't think pitkin CG is the best location since its pretty remote with one general store.

I thought maybe clear creek res CG just north of buena vista might be a better choice since this year I only have 2wd and the CG is closer to a bigger town. Im sure she, um we would enjoy the hot springs, shopping, dinning. But I'm wondering how crowded clear creek res CG will still be in September and if I should consider heading further west for less people. I guess a private camp spot and 2wd don't go hand in hand. But I want to do my best to keep her interest.

Any suggestions? Anywhere neat in Colorado.. But I just realized it will be hunting season. Great, she hates guns. Oh boy
12 valve ram
4 REPLIES 4

B_GAGE
Explorer
Explorer
Clear Creek Campground is a State Wildlife Area campground, similar to dispersed camping. There are a few spots near the creek that fill up fast and the rest are out in the open. Weโ€™ve stayed there a couple of times and if you can get a spot close to the creek itโ€™s worth it, the open area โ€œNot So Muchโ€.

If you are looking for something a bit more civilized, Iโ€™d suggest Lakeview Campground by Twin Lakes. Itโ€™s about 5 or 6 miles farther north than Clear Creek & itโ€™s a developed National Forest Campground with designated spots.
Bill & Donna

2004 Arctic Fox 22GQ, Loaded
2003 Dodge 2500, Quad Cab, 4X4, CTD 5 Speed
2015 Ram 3500 Limited, Crew Cab, CTD, Aisin
2017 Wolfcreek 840, Loaded

dadd45
Explorer
Explorer
rerod wrote:
dadd45 wrote:
Since you rode Taylor you must have seen Lakeview cg above the reservoir....good cg but you may have to take a primitive site unless you nab an electric first come/first serve unit (most reservables are booked 6 months out for season)....have camped there the last 2 Septembers for the colors and fishing...can't find a more beautiful photo area for fall (be sure to include Ohio Pass above Crested Butte,2wd road).....good luck

Thanks Dadd. I have Ohio pass marked now. Just north of Gunnison to Crested Butte.

Any other 2wd passes or roads I should take? I have a dirt bike but I'm not sure if the wife will jump on.

Go to Ohio by way of Crested Butte and you can opt for a short sidetrip up Kebbler ..... another pass is Independence between Leadville and Aspen......these are all quakie infested for good color shots....IMHO
DadD45
2004 Cross Country Coachmen
2001 Wrangler behind
JUST HAVIN' FUN!!!

rerod
Explorer
Explorer
dadd45 wrote:
Since you rode Taylor you must have seen Lakeview cg above the reservoir....good cg but you may have to take a primitive site unless you nab an electric first come/first serve unit (most reservables are booked 6 months out for season)....have camped there the last 2 Septembers for the colors and fishing...can't find a more beautiful photo area for fall (be sure to include Ohio Pass above Crested Butte,2wd road).....good luck

Thanks Dadd. I have Ohio pass marked now. Just north of Gunnison to Crested Butte.

Any other 2wd passes or roads I should take? I have a dirt bike but I'm not sure if the wife will jump on.
12 valve ram

dadd45
Explorer
Explorer
DadD45
2004 Cross Country Coachmen
2001 Wrangler behind
JUST HAVIN' FUN!!!