cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Coumadin tests in Florida

Margaritaville
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Snowbirds, I'm wondering where snowbirds in Florida go to have their PT tests done. Being in Florida for three months, I need to have my Coumadin level tested several times. Where do you go? Thanks in advance.
9 REPLIES 9

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have the Medicare supplied home testing. Result of both DVT and PE.

https://www.cms.gov/Regulations-and-Guidance/Guidance/Transmittals/downloads/R1562CP.pdf
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

vic46
Explorer
Explorer
You should perhaps, with your doc, investigate the alternative medications for reducing stroke risk. There are a number and they do NOT require INR testing. I just changed to Eliquos and I truly don't miss the weekly trip to get poked! As I understand the situation there are four such medications. They manage coagulation rate in a different way than Warfarin ergo, no ongoing coagulation rate testing. Some of these medications do have unfavourable reactions with some heart medications.
[COLOR=]Never argue with an idiot. You will be dragged down to their level and then beaten with experience.

OH48Lt
Explorer
Explorer
Florida probably has the highest percentage of people needing that testing, I'm sure there are labs all over the place.
2017 Ford F-150 Crew Cab 4x4 3.5 EcoBoost
2014 Cruiser RV Fun Finder 215WKS
2015 Harley Road Glide Special in Amber Whiskey
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Yamaha Grizzly 660 (his)
Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O.(hers)

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Margaritaville wrote:
Hello Snowbirds, I'm wondering where snowbirds in Florida go to have their PT tests done. Being in Florida for three months, I need to have my Coumadin level tested several times. Where do you go? Thanks in advance.

Just go to your regular clinic before you head out for the winter and ask them to write a "standing order" for you to take when on the road. Once you get to your location, you can just call a local hospital and they will direct you to the nearest coumadin lab testing facility. Some times the local hospital has their own lab to do your coumadin test. When you go into lab, show them the "standing order" BUT do not let the lab keep it as you will need if you go onto another destination.

Teacher_s_Pet
Explorer
Explorer
When I took Coumadin, my Doctor wrote out 12 prescriptions for me to cover 6 months between my appointments, so I had enough for 2 weeks in between tests if needed. When I was due for a test I went to Lab Corp, only left their system once in 6 years and then went to a rural hospital/clinic's lab and had the results called in to my Doctor. Worked for me all across the country, east to west and north to south.
'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'14 Ford Flex SEL AWD Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 21, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog

I just googled clinics when i got down there.. it all depends on what part of Florida
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
PS. Dr has to refer you to a place that will train and set you up.
Jayco-noslide

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
It was always a hassle until I now got set up to test my own at home with a finger stick. Then I call in the result and it is relayed to my Dr. It's great on the road and at home. Insurance pays for all of it. Before that I usually went to a hospital lab but it seldom went smoothly. Usually the lab would say they faxed it to Dr. and the Dr. office would say, Nope didn't get it.
Jayco-noslide

retispcsi
Explorer
Explorer
Try lab corp or Quest both are all over the U.S.
2015 Mobile Suites 38 RSSA. 2014 Ram CC DRW 4x4 60 gal RDS Aisin 4:10.
DW, Shadow, Remington and Ron. Living the good life till the next one arrives.