cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crescent Lake, Deschutes Nat'l Forest

Sarvi
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone boondocked around Crescent Lake? I'm looking at the MVUM and seeing TONS of dispersed camping areas, but I would hate to show up there and not find anything. I'm towing a 33ft travel trailer. I'm just wondering if there's as much available as the map shows, and if I can get my trailer in. Thanks.
30 REPLIES 30

Sarvi
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
When are you going? And is it just for the weekend?

Mid-July, and yes, just the weekend.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
When are you going? And is it just for the weekend?

Sarvi
Explorer
Explorer
I did look at Crescent Junction RV Park, and saw to reserve sites either email or call. I sent an email to the address provided, and got a bounceback saying the address is not valid. Um ok. HOWEVER, I went back and looked at all of the NFS campgrounds again, and saw that Contorta Flat Campground actually had RESERVABLE sites! I don't know how I missed that the other day when i was looking. So I snatched the last one available for that weekend! YAY!

ICamel
Explorer
Explorer
You might consider reserving a spot at the Crescent Junction RV Park. It's only 3 miles to the lake and you can use the Resort boat launch at no charge. Water, electric, and sewer hookups. Also quick access to the amenities such as fuel, groceries, food. I have stayed there multiple times and can recommend them. Not quite the experience of campground or boondocking camping but it might be your best option for the timing you require.
ICamel

2017 Arctic Fox 992
2005 Ford F350 Lariat SuperDuty CrewCab 4x4 + 6 Speed Manual + 19.5" Tires + LoadLifter 5000 Rear Air Bags
2005 16' River Wild Drift Boat
Honda EU2000i
Trophytrout FlyFisherman

Sarvi
Explorer
Explorer
I may want to fish, probably hike, and just relax. Unfortunately I have no vacation time available this year to dedicate to camping 😞 so can't go up a day early. My son and daughter-in-law, and possibly my daughters will be coming with, and my d-i-l offered drive out earlier in the day, but she wouldn't be able to go the day before.

With that being said, any suggestions for other areas instead? I want to be near a lake, boondocking or forest service campgrounds are fine. I'm not completely hung up on Crescent Lake, it just looks like a nice place to visit.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Campendium if this is on there.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
Are you wanting to fish at Crescent or just camp?
There is lots of hiking trails and high lake too.
Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

DanNJanice
Explorer
Explorer
Sarvi wrote:
Thanks. There are several NFS campgrounds around the lake, but none seem to take any reservations. I'm looking at a 3 hour drive on a Friday evening in mid-July, and am nervous about not finding anything. I may just take a drive out there without the trailer a few weeks ahead of time to scope out the area.

This is an excellent idea! Go scout it out, without the trailer, record your spots on the GPS, then go back with the trailer. I highly recommend going up a day early (Thursday) if possible, even first thing on Friday is better than waiting until the end of the day.
2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 F250 PSD

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Sarvi wrote:
What would you assume my chances would be of getting a spot in a campground at 7pm on a Friday evening?

It may depend on the weather. If there's been thunder and lightening during the day and it's forecast for the weekend then there may be some spots open as the ski boat crowd might pass. If there's anyway to get up there in the morning or thursday night then that would be your best bet. Just guessing but by 7:00 friday night it could be all but full. Not sure who's all going but if someone else is going and could go up in the morning then that would help.

Your best bet might be Contorta Flat Campground on the south end of the lake.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I will second the motion to "call the rangers." They often will know and share what they know about dispersed sites that you could fit into. That said, by 7pm Friday all those spots may be taken anyway.

If you were showing up mid-afternoon on a weekday, you'd be in much better shape. I'm reminded of the time I was driving south from Capitol Reef toward Boulder UT on Hwy 12, about 3 pm. It sure is a pretty drive and it made me wish I could camp up there on the mountain and enjoy the view of the valley below. Well, lo and behold, I passed a visitor center up there and I turned around and went in. The fellow behind the counter was very happy to suggest a couple of great spots that could work for my rig. I pulled off the highway about 50 yards and set up under the evergreens. A short walk put me right on the edge of a steep dropoff where I could sit and enjoy the view. You could see for miles and miles.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Basically zero

Sarvi
Explorer
Explorer
What would you assume my chances would be of getting a spot in a campground at 7pm on a Friday evening?

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
If you do plan on going mid July take your best skeeter repellent. Lots of snow this year, so there'll be plenty of standing water for skeeters to breed in. Or what ever they do in it. By early to mid august most will be gone. We've been to Crescent Lake many times. It's beautiful up there. Can't help with dispersed camping as we always stay at one of the CG's around the lake. Friday night arrival will be tough.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sarvi, there are two other things you could do before heading up there to scout (which is a great idea, by the way). First, you can cruise Google Earth to look for boondocking sites -- they are usually pretty easy to spot, except in dense forest. Second, call the ranger! They are often very helpful.

Good luck!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Sarvi
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. There are several NFS campgrounds around the lake, but none seem to take any reservations. I'm looking at a 3 hour drive on a Friday evening in mid-July, and am nervous about not finding anything. I may just take a drive out there without the trailer a few weeks ahead of time to scope out the area.