cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Crystal River, Florida

cruise-ader
Explorer
Explorer
Planning a trip with the family and another family(friends of ours).
Looking at crystal river. The rv parks I have been researching are Rock Crusher Canyon RV park
and Crystal Isle RV park
rock crusher reviews seem real good, crystal isle, mixed...
Anyone have any experience with rv parks in this area?
I want to be close or on the river, I won't be happy if I can't fish.
If not these parks, any others I should consider?
Thanks.
12 REPLIES 12

thefishingal
Explorer
Explorer
Try Natures Resort in Homosassa. They even have rental boats. Stayed in one of their cabins. Its a nice park right on the water

Kate_and_Ed
Explorer
Explorer
Late but just looking in. We rented pontoon from CG at Crystal Isles some years back and went up river to place where we ate on patio. Was a lot of fun...think they still rent.
Kathy and Ed

cruise-ader
Explorer
Explorer
thx all. My wife decided on crystal isle. Amenties listed sold her. I guess I am fine either way. Hope it turns out well.
I'll post a review on rvpark reviews when we get home.

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
If you go to Chazz try to get Lot 8; it's dry. The pullthroughs aren't really pullthroughs and many sites are mudholes when it rains. I got my 36' DP in and out without any problem.
-jbh-

cruise-ader
Explorer
Explorer
we are hitting up rainbow springs as a "layover" in june on our way to/from the keys ๐Ÿ™‚
look out tarpon!

trnfla
Explorer
Explorer
Another option is Rainbow Springs State Park
Now 2004 Winnie Minnie 31C
Had 2007 Zeppelin 190 Hybrid,
1999 30' Dutchman Classic FW

cruise-ader
Explorer
Explorer
thanks larry37, sent you a pm.

Larry37
Explorer
Explorer
I have spent a couple winters at Rock Crusher before we bought a house in Crystal River.
Rock Crusher is a very nice park very friendly staff and campers but it is a snowbird park that fills up in winter with lots of of activities and pot lucks.
There is another campground about 12 miles south of Crystal river on the Chassahowitzka river.
This is the river I normally fish out of and prefer to Crystal River ( not as crowded and better fishing and has gulf access. Note you need a shallow draft boat or kayak for this river.
Campground is a regular type campground not a resort style for shorter stays with boat ramp and docks and LOTS of manatees in winter.

ALSO if you camp anywhere near water and temp is above 70 * Noseeums will make you hate camping. One advantage for Rock Crusher.

Not sure how to attach a link but you can find with a quik search.
Chassahowitzka River Campground.

I live in the area if you have any questions

cruise-ader
Explorer
Explorer
After a few calls, the staff at rock crusher said they were not sure they could reserve us 2 spots, they said, well, we have to see if the snowbirds leave. To me, it's either yes, or no...too bad, I really wanted to stay there. Directly on the water is not a deal breaker, we can drive to the river, hire a guide or just rent a boat.
I'm hesitant on crystal isles, first, there are not enough photos for me to make a decision, and going from some reviews, I just don't want to be miserable, I will end up just packing up. Some reviews are good, some not so good. I might call rock crusher back next week and see if anything has changed.
thanks for any input on these places.

Dennis_Henderso
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are sites at Encore Crystal River that are on the canal with your own dock.

If you are not on the canal and in an interior site, you can use the boat ramp right there in the park for canal access to the Crystal River.

Can't get any better than that.

Denny and Cindy Henderson
fulltiming, currently at Torrey Oaks RV Resort in Bowling Green, FL

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
Rock Crusher is a very nice park, but not on the water. Crystal Isles is a corporation owned park, Encore. It has had it's issues over the years but the recent comments I have seen on it have been mostly acceptable. You may want to expand your search area to include the RV parks in Homosassa, just a few miles south. We have stayed at Natures Resort, which is on the water, and enjoy it.

We get over to the Gulf side a couple of times a year and tend to stay at Rock Crusher as being on the water is not that important to us.
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
I have never stayed at either park you have mentioned. With that said, I have read posts from people who rave about Rock Crusher and in fact I have been considering looking into that one myself. If you do a search in this forum I think you can come up with posts on Rock Crusher.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience