cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

custer state park

MO_Rookie
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning a trip in the middle of July going to Custer State park never been there we are wanting to stay in the State park which campground do you recommend we have a 28ft travel trailer. Also looking for suggestions on places to see and things to do. Traveling with kids ages 8 and 12.
27 REPLIES 27

minn_camping_fa
Explorer
Explorer
Jim Shoe wrote:
minn camping family wrote:
Jim Shoe wrote:
They should have named the park after Sitting Bull. Custer lost. ๐Ÿ™‚

The town of Custer was so named because Custer and the 7th Calvary camped there during the 1874 Custer Expedition into the Black Hills. They camped in the same area that is now Custers Gulch RV Park. Members of the expedition found gold in French Creek and that sparked a mini gold rush into the Black Hills.

I'm well aware of Col. Custer's history, and I also know that the town of Custer and the site of Custer's Last Stand aren't even in the same state and are 300 miles apart. I've been to both. It was a joke. Hence the smiley face.

Sorry if you were offended as that was not my intent. I enjoy the Black Hills very much and like to share the history. No one was trying to school you. Take a breath, smile and have a great day ๐Ÿ™‚

Nels_Connie
Explorer
Explorer
Cup fan wrote:
Thanks minncampingfamily for the info, I'll definitely check into those. I'm sure there are many really nice campgrounds to choose from. I'd just like to find one that is conveniently located where the campsites have some space between them, maybe some wildlife and has some nice scenery, or next to a creek or lake. I'm sure we'll get one found, it will just take a little time.

taken at grace coolidge campground

taken at game lodge, I thought this guy was coming in the camper.
you will find plenty of wildlife.
04 SunSeeker 2890

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
Just to stir the pot, there is a Custer State Park in Michigan, too. The OP didn't mention which state. The state park in Michigan was originally a part of Fort Custer Army Training Center and next to Fort Custer National Cemetary. The training center was very active during WW II and is just east of Battle Creek, Michigan.

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
We stayed at Custers Gulch rv park that was mentioned above. We really liked it very clean, roomy lots, and very nice accommodating people running it. The only problem we had was we did not have reservations and we stayed 4 days and had to move three times. The management kept apologizing, but it was not their fault WE were the ones who didn't make reservations. I would stay there again anytime great park!

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
minn camping family wrote:
Jim Shoe wrote:

The town of Custer was so named because Custer and the 7th Calvary camped there during the 1874 Custer Expedition into the Black Hills. They camped in the same area that is now Custers Gulch RV Park. Members of the expedition found gold in French Creek and that sparked a mini gold rush into the Black Hills.

I'm well aware of Col. Custer's history, and I also know that the town of Custer and the site of Custer's Last Stand aren't even in the same state and are 300 miles apart. I've been to both. It was a joke. Hence the smiley face.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Cup_fan
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks minncampingfamily for the info, I'll definitely check into those. I'm sure there are many really nice campgrounds to choose from. I'd just like to find one that is conveniently located where the campsites have some space between them, maybe some wildlife and has some nice scenery, or next to a creek or lake. I'm sure we'll get one found, it will just take a little time.
2015 Silverado 2500HD
2015 Rockwood 8315 BSS
Sammie and Ginger (our four legged kids)
Navy veteran

minn_camping_fa
Explorer
Explorer
MO Rookie wrote:
We booked our site last night in Custer State park at Stockade Lake North in July. Now just looking for suggestions on things to do and see. We are wanting to go horseback riding any suggestions on which outfitter to use. Thanks for everyones input.

We've done two different outfitters- the Blue Bell Stables in Custer State Park and the Palmer Gulch Stables just outside of Keystone.

Blue Bell followed a trail in Custer State Park and lasted exactly one hour to the minute. We had a large group which was fine, but we didn't get to interact with our guide much. It was more of a hurry up kind of experience.

Our rides at Palmer Gulch were the exact opposite. We were lucky enough both times that our group was the only group on the ride, and we got to interact with our guide quite a bit. Both guides were very knowledgeable and friendly and took the time to encourage our kids who were a bit nervous. Our horses were very spoiled and taking their sweet time on both rides, so they both ran a bit long, which was fine with us. They have about 5 different options for trails, we did two different ones and they both were beautiful.

Where ever you end up, I'd recommend making reservations at least a few days in advance. Trail rides book up quickly.

minn_camping_fa
Explorer
Explorer
Cup fan wrote:
We are also going to the black hills this summer. I would love to stay in Custer State Park but from the research that I have done, I don't believe any of the campgrounds have water or sewer hook-ups. Unfortunately, I will need them since there will be 4 adults in our rig, and we'll be staying a week. I'm already starting to become overwhelmed trying to find another really nice campground due to the fact that there are so many to choose from. Plus reviews can be confusing simply because a campground that one person loved, another hated. But hey, planning and getting there is half the fun right?!

We've stayed in two very different cg's in Custer and enjoyed them both. The Roost Resort has a small cg that is very quiet. The owners are really nice people. No pool, nice bathhouse. Beaver Lake CG is more of a resort-y type place with a small pool, wi-fi, cable and several different areas (shaded, sunny, etc.). We've stayed there several times and have enjoyed each time. I've reviewed both on RV Park Reviews or you can pm me if you have questions. Have a great time!

minn_camping_fa
Explorer
Explorer
Jim Shoe wrote:

Cup_fan
Explorer
Explorer
We are also going to the black hills this summer. I would love to stay in Custer State Park but from the research that I have done, I don't believe any of the campgrounds have water or sewer hook-ups. Unfortunately, I will need them since there will be 4 adults in our rig, and we'll be staying a week. I'm already starting to become overwhelmed trying to find another really nice campground due to the fact that there are so many to choose from. Plus reviews can be confusing simply because a campground that one person loved, another hated. But hey, planning and getting there is half the fun right?!
2015 Silverado 2500HD
2015 Rockwood 8315 BSS
Sammie and Ginger (our four legged kids)
Navy veteran

rolling_rhoda
Explorer
Explorer
Rushmore Cave is fun, too. With kids that age, the. Mammoth Site in hot Springs is a must do. Very unique. Kids also like the Presidential Slide. The Circle b Ranch is a fun, family evening. If you have time, Badlands National Park is about an hour east.

Hiking_Hunter
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on Rafter J Bar Ranch - nice place, perfect location. Be sure to drive through Custer State Park if you don't stay there.

Lots of good stuff to see in the area, but we didn't care too much for Crazy Horse. The original idea of the monument was probably fine, but it's too much of a family run "trap" now. They do just enough work on it now to keep it as an "active" development. A little too "politically correct" for me now also. Just my opinion.
Amateur Radio WA4GIY
2015 Montana High Country 305RL
2013 RAM 3500 4x4, crew cab, long bed, 6.7 CTD, Aisin trans.
CGVW 20460 Lbs.

RonWSl
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Rafter J Bar Ranch, just outside Hill City, SD. Reasonable rates, nicest park in the area we saw after riding by many others. Convenient to everything, Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Custer, etc.

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.