cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dahlonega, GA: TRAFFIC!!!

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
On the way to Vogel State Park 2 weeks ago we went through Dahlonega, GA for the first time in 3 years and had a long wait to get through the stop lights. It was a Tuesday afternoon when traffic is normally light but long car lines at the stop lights take 3 light changes just to get through the intersection.

Apparently the university there now has 17,000 students and the traffic confirms it. Do yourself a favor and take another route to get through north Georgia.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus
5 REPLIES 5

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
narcodog wrote:
magnusfide wrote:
narcodog wrote:
Use a paper map and you will see a very good bypass for both Cleveland Dahlonega with no traffic.

The intersections on the Dahlonega bypass are the most crowded now. That's where we had to wait for 3 light changes to get through.

At the end of GA 400 go straight instead of turning left, it's two lane with a few turns look at a map. My GPS does avoid Dahlonega when I tell it to avoid it, that's the way it sends me.

Yep. We normally take that route and at GA SR 52 turn right to go east to Cleveland then north on US 129 to Vogel - very scenic. I think we'll go that way again from now on. We hadn't seen Dahlonega in a few years so went that way this time. Next weekend is Dahlonega Gold Rush and I'm told it backs traffic 5 miles from Dahlonega on all roads. Definitely steer clear of Dahlonega next weekend.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins

Magnus

narcodog
Explorer II
Explorer II
magnusfide wrote:
narcodog wrote:
Use a paper map and you will see a very good bypass for both Cleveland Dahlonega with no traffic.

The intersections on the Dahlonega bypass are the most crowded now. That's where we had to wait for 3 light changes to get through.

At the end of GA 400 go straight instead of turning left, it's two lane with a few turns look at a map. My GPS does avoid Dahlonega when I tell it to avoid it, that's the way it sends me.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
narcodog wrote:

Magnus

narcodog
Explorer II
Explorer II

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Was always a large traffic jam there... Even for us in our off-road POPUP trailer haha...

Love camping in the Northern high country of GA and ALA so it doesn't bother us to wait a little bit sometimes...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS