cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dangers of campground lot ownership

Lot_owner
Explorer
Explorer
I own a lot at a campground in Indiana. This campground is different than some as to the fact that owners actually own lots instead of renting and pay property tax. Recently management of the campground stated on social media that our key card swipe access to our property will be denied and be replaced by a fingerprint system. We will be denied access until we allow them to fingerprint our first two fingers. Is this legal. I do not want to do this. The management is very shifty.
37 REPLIES 37

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know why OP is even seeking advice or answers to this question from a bunch of strangers on the internet.

Read your paperwork. We can't read your papers. Go to a lawyer if necessary. Or sell the lot if you have no choice but to comply.. or comply.

I don't know what the intent of this post is. Drum up support from the inter-web, and print it off and take to management company and say 'See, other people don't like it'?

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Obviously people are letting others use their sites by giving them an access card. Sounds like they are trying to stop this. with it being a secured location, I'm sure there are lot owners who are concerned that people are "renting" out their sites to other and there may be a good bit of transient traffic. I would not be concerned if they are going to a more secure way of controlling traffic in. As stated, a fingerprint is not going to do much.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
v10superduty wrote:
The OP has one post, this one, and has never posted on this thread again..And likely won't be back
My money is on this.

First post, no profile, weird handle... yeah, you're probably right.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
v10superduty wrote:
You guys are wasting your time and advice.

The OP has one post, this one, and has never posted on this thread again
And likely won't be back.
He had probably forgotten which website he posted this on by now.

Maybe you're right; but in my opinion, it's rather premature to suggest that someone has disappeared forever from an online forum when they haven't responded within 18 hours.

I've heard that some people even have lives outside of RV.net, but I'm not sure I completely believe that.... :B

v10superduty
Explorer
Explorer
You guys are wasting your time and advice.

The OP has one post, this one, and has never posted on this thread again
And likely won't be back.
He had probably forgotten which website he posted this on by now.
2000 F250 V10 dragin a 2005 Titanium 29E34RL

BarryG20
Explorer
Explorer
As several have stated you need to read the contract. All of this access stuff- who is allowed, when, must you be present etc should be in the sales contract packet, bylaws/rules and regs of the hoa if there is one. If there is an HOA they should certainly be aware of these upcoming changes as they should be driving it and management company following it through. Again if there is an HOA they can be a very sticky wicket. Many lawyers make their living dealing with HOA's and their disgruntled members. If there is no HOA which is entirely possible the sales contract packet should spell out the process of how things get done and who makes those decisions. If you dont have that info I would ask neighbors for a copy of their agreement, ask whomever is 'In charge" of the property or maybe even better the County Clerk/Recorder as it should be on file there as well particularly if there is an HOA (at least for the original HOA bylaws, rules, regs & covenants).
2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

Davo7
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
Bird Freak wrote:
K Charles wrote:
The OP says he is not paying property tax so does he really own the lot?
Read it again. OP does pay property tax.

After reading it again I see "actually own lots instead of renting and pay property tax" which to me looks like he doesn't rent AND pay property tax.

Renters don't pay property tax, usually. I think the OP meant that he doesn't rent, but pays property tax instead. Just my opinion...
2016 F350 SRW 6.7 4x4 FX4
2017 Solaire 316RLTS
2002 Jayco Eagle 300 (bought 8/04)(Sold!!)
Nervous wife
Beautiful 23 yr old Daughter
Spastic dog
A tremendous love for the outdoors.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
K Charles wrote:
Bird Freak wrote:
K Charles wrote:

After reading it again I see "actually own lots instead of renting and pay property tax" which to me looks like he doesn't rent AND pay property tax.

I think it was meant to read as: actually own lots (instead of renting) and pay property tax. It doesn't make sense as written because a renter wouldn't be paying property tax - and the sentence as written suggests that either you own the lot OR you rent and pay property tax.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Bird Freak wrote:
K Charles wrote:

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
So, who's fingerprints do they take? Everyone in the family that would be normally allowed access to the property? Named owner only and you would have to accompany anyone else? Just see problems if you wished to let your kids or someone else have access, if that is allowed.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Lot owner wrote:
I own a lot at a campground in Indiana. This campground is different than some as to the fact that owners actually own lots instead of renting and pay property tax. Recently management of the campground stated on social media that our key card swipe access to our property will be denied and be replaced by a fingerprint system. We will be denied access until we allow them to fingerprint our first two fingers. Is this legal. I do not want to do this. The management is very shifty.

Could be that it's legal in Indiana. Why don't you check with your SAG and allay your fears?

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Lot owner wrote:
Are guests allowed when you are not present? How does that work when there is no key card?

Could be the management wants some control over shifty residents renting their RV in the site. If you think management is sophisticated enough to somehow steal your identity with this system I think you are overestimating what can be done.

I would embrace the system myself.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think for the OP, he should refrain from arguing about the "stealing of fingerprints" and focus on the ability for authorized persons (wife, children, etc.), to access their lot.

Is the campground only requesting the OP's fingerprints? Or are they asking for those who signed the contract? Or the adults in the immediate family? Or the entire immediate family?

If the OP brings his inlaws for a stay, is there a "guest card access" provided to them? Or will the OP have to let them in and out of the campground personally? What about kids? If the OP's 17 year old son comes out to join his parents for the weekend, will he have fingerprint access? Or a guest access card?

If I were the OP, I would question the campground on the practicality of fingerprint access and voice concern where needed. Point out the increased work for the campground staff, the inconveniences to the lot owners (and their potential dissatisfaction due to those inconveniences), etc., and you're more likely to get the company to rethink the plan.

Going in and talking about "what ifs" won't sway them. Talking about practicalities will.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Ed_Gee
Explorer II
Explorer II
K Charles wrote:

I think you are misreading his somewhat poorly crafted sentence structure. He IS paying property taxes.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad