cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trailer brake breakaway failure - possible warranty claim?

Drew510
Explorer
Explorer
Cliff's notes: New trailer (less than 1 year) emergency brake cable unknowingly pulled and did not lock up the brakes but engaged them enough to destroy the brakes after about 50 miles. Is any of this on the MFG or dealer for not being properly adjusted from the factory?

Whole story:
My parents bought a new TT late last year. They park it at our private campground during the summer and store it in the winter. I am their personal delivery man.

One thing I noticed when I towed it from the dealer to storage to the campground is that I had to have my brake controller maxed out to get decent trailer brakes. On a Prodigy 2, that's 6.3 with the adjuster maxed. On my trailer, I run at 6.2 and about half on the adjuster.

The issue: When I was pulling it from the campground to storage, I stopped at a sharp turn onto the highway about a mile from camp. After I turned onto the highway, I noticed my Suburban struggled to get up to speed. I looked in my mirrors to see if the brakes had locked up, but the wheels seemed to have been turning fine.

Eventually the truck seemed to be driving fine. This trailer is about 1000 pounds heavier than mine (8000 vs 7000) so I chalked it up to that. Well, when we got home and got out and looked at the trailer, the wheels were COVERED in brake dust and the inside of the trailer stunk like burnt brakes. I looked down at the emergency trailer brake cable and it was resting on the ground!

When I turned that corner at the beginning of the trip, the angle must have been so much that it pulled the cable out and engaged the emergency brakes.

Shouldn't this have LOCKED the brakes up? I know it does on my trailer. The next day my dad pulled a wheel and inspected the brakes - they are toast. I'll be taking it to the dealer for it's annual checkup (he got suckered into the Blue Dog "Forever Warranty) in a couple weeks and he's already notified them of the brake issue.

My question is, is there any way for the dealer/mfg to have ownership of the issue because the emergency brakes did not lock up and instead just dragged to their demise?

Any other suggestions? Thanks!
Trailer: 2017 Heartland Mallard IDM29

TV: 2003 Chevy Suburban Quadrasteer 3/4 ton 6.0
Enhancements:
40k Aux transmission cooler
Black Bear Performance Tune
Power Stop brakes
Sumo Springs
Pioneer in-dash DVD with backup camera
22 REPLIES 22

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
DOT Requirement.......
Trailer battery must apply full battery voltage for minimum of 15 minutes when Emergency Breakaway Switch is activated.

Tow vehicle brake controller does NOT allow full battery voltage unless manual lever is fully engaged.

Whether trailer brakes fully engage and lock up wheels is dependent on how tight brakes have been adjusted.

When trailer breaks away...detached from tow vehicle.....trailer brakes should STOP run away trailer

Brake adjustments, accidental pulling of Emergency Pin----wear/tear on shoes/drums/magnets--------non warranty items
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
MarkTwain wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
I guess the brakes on my 5er must be something special, because they will lock up the brakes when the break-away is pulled.

But I still don't think you have a warranty claim.

Good luck;

When the emergency break-away cable is disconnected, all 4 brakes are designed to lock up the wheels, that is the purpose.
I think a better way to state it is that when the break-away cable is disconnected all brakes will have maximum power directed to them. Whether that will lock up the brakes is another matter.

As was noted maximum braking effectiveness is just before the brakes lock up, not when they are locked up.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:
I guess the brakes on my 5er must be something special, because they will lock up the brakes when the break-away is pulled.

Good luck;

When the emergency break-away cable is disconnected, all 4 brakes are designed to lock up the wheels, that is the purpose.

Drew510
Explorer
Explorer
@Bird Freak - not trying to pass the blame at all. Just asked the question because if I didn't, it wouldn't get answered.

@12th Man Fan - Thanks for the suggestion. We might have to explore that route.
Trailer: 2017 Heartland Mallard IDM29

TV: 2003 Chevy Suburban Quadrasteer 3/4 ton 6.0
Enhancements:
40k Aux transmission cooler
Black Bear Performance Tune
Power Stop brakes
Sumo Springs
Pioneer in-dash DVD with backup camera

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
It's important to regularly inspect, adjust, and test your brakes and breakaway battery charge regularly.

I hope you didn't get too much damage. ๐Ÿ˜‰

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
You don't want the trailer brakes to lock the wheels. Sliding tires have less traction and is a good way to get the trailer trying to come around and pass you on an emergency stop when your truck brakes are gripping the pavement. However the brakes should engage strongly enough that there is no doubt that they are engaged. Sounds like they were not properly adjusted.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer

Good luck;
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nope, just a mishap that you happen to have caused. whether or not they locked up doesn't matter as to who`s fault it was.

With that said, trailer brakes should fully engage if not lock up. when I first got our current trailer the brakes barley worked. It took some work but found out the brake magnets were weak! replaced the magnets and I could lock up the brakes with 100% braking efficiency. I set my controller so the brakes don`t lock up, but you always want good brakes!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah, sounds like operator error to me too. Kind of like the computer error "CKI": Chair/Keyboard Interface. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Brake shoes and brake pads as is the clutch in a manual transmission are not covered by any manufacturer on any vehicle, they are considered wear items and there fore can be abused and misused, in any court of law the manufacturer's lawyer will argue that you the client misused or abused the item in question and that in the bill of sale there is a stipulation that wear items are not covered in the warranty, worked for a few automotive dealers and know this for a fact, I got to repair the clutches and brakes of new drivers and stick learners, boy were they pissed when told that those items were not covered by ne vehicle warranty.

navegator

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like you screwed up and looking to blame someone else. Lesson learned. Fix it and carry on.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

WackAway
Explorer
Explorer
Once saw a guy put full throttle to his boat while anchor was set. Taking that few extra seconds to check proper setup or operation can save $$$$'s or lives. Ask any pilot. To them, its required seconds and not "extra". Premature lack of altitude is not good.

Count your blessings and chalk it up as a lesson learned. Making mistakes and living through them helps us either become wise or a lucky idiot. I'm still trying to figure out which I am (or going to be).

BTW, I was that guy in the boat.
Todd & Victri
"Looking for the perfect spot and points in-between"
2017 Ford F350 Lariat Super Duty 4x4
2017 KZ Durango Gold G380FLF 40ft
800W Solar | Morningstar TS-MPPT-60 | Aims 3000W Inverter Charger

12th_Man_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
Might check with your insurance company. A buddy of mine did the same thing and his insurance covered it less the deductable.
2014 GMC Duramax 4X4 DRW Crew

2015 DRV Tradition

paulbeauchemin
Explorer
Explorer
did this the first day I got my 5th wheel. Went to a lot to practice backing and inadvertently pulled the safety out. Being new i had no idea this happened but I felt something was wrong

So I towed it back to the dealer and arrived with clouds of smoke billowing out of the trailer brakes.

Fortunately did not ruin the brakes