cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Early Report - Estes Park CO As A Destination

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
For folks interested in coming up to Estes Park this year, a few things of note, that may be of interest:

1 - I started checking on reservations for both Moraine Park as well as Glacier Basin inside Rocky Mountain National Park. Sites are already starting to fill up, earlier than in the past. 180 day window, goes through July and some of the sites that I've had my eye on, are already completely booked for most weekend dates. There's still availability during the week. Of course, there's first come/first served sites, so if that interests anyone, make sure you arrive early.

2 - The two Estes Park Campgrounds (Mary's Lake and East Portal) have changed hands this year. Formerly run by Larimer County Parks and Recreation Department, they've been taken over by the Estes Park Recreation and Parks District. Reservations will remain with ReserveAmerica.com.

I called them today, as their website said they were planning infrastructure changes, and wanted to know what they would be, specific to Mary's Lake. The full hookup sites will have upgraded electrical posts, to accommodate 50amp better. There will be some grading and leveling of some sites and access. The W/E only sites will be enhanced (lady I talked to didn't go into specifics) and new landscaping is planned, to include putting more green space in for visual appeal, and improving the basketball and horseshoe area. The office area is being remodeled and the store is being moved to the lower level. The office at East Portal will also be remodeled and enhanced. Prices have also gone up. FHU sites are now $45/night, W/E only sites are $40/night and no hookup/tent sites are $30/night. No mention of any discounts, and prime holiday weekends still require 3 night minimum. This is still the best deal price-wise, in Estes Park.

3 - Full access to Estes Park has been restored, with the completion of the construction on US 36 from Lyons to Estes Park, and the temporary roadway of US 34 from Loveland to Estes Park. US 34, as most know, was opened rather quickly after the 2013 flood, but was meant to be a temporary roadway. Current information, subject to change, is that reconstruction for permanent repairs will begin in the late summer/early fall of 2015, presumably going through the fall and winter as weather permits.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.
16 REPLIES 16

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Thom knows this whole area so well and trusted info.

I felt so badly for all of the area but the area between Drake and Glen Haven along 43 really got nailed bad again. And the town of Glen Haven (downtown) nearly wiped out completely. Inn of Glen Haven was one of our favorite spots to eat on special occasions.

The areas of Estes that are still in limbo / mess / chaos are residential and would not affect tourists.

Yes, we really like Riverview in Loveland. And yes, it is a drive up to Estes - but so pretty.

Personally, we just got tired of the very high prices for private rv parks in Estes and not even taking care of them or the customers. I hope with the Town taking over a couple of them they can make them reasonable in all aspects.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

Red_Eagle
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info Lauren. Will make my reservations tomorrow.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sidebar to this.

There was an article in yesterday's Fort Collins newspaper on the continuing construction of Larimer County Rd 43, which is the road from Drake up to Glen Haven and on to Estes Park, the "back way" up to Estes. It was significantly damaged in the flood, as well as much of Glen Haven. The County has been working hard to get the roadway rebuilt, and have worked all winter as weather permits to continue rebuilding. Their goal is to have it completed this season.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
LowRyter wrote:
You know, I really enjoyed Grand Lake much more than Estes Park. Totally on the other side of RMNP.

Part of our ritual for our first seasonal visit to RMNP is to stay in Estes but make the drive over the Grand Lake (once Trail Ridge opens) and have lunch there and walk around town visiting all the shops. We make it a point to always buy something in Grand Lake, to support the local economy as much as we can.

Grand Lake is also AWESOME in the winter -- they bill themselves as the "Snowmobile Capital of Colorado", with excellent trails, groomed and easily accessible, as well as open, ungroomed meadows to play in. We've been over there several times and enjoyed a package deal of a cabin and snowmobile rental, and may look to do the same thing again this year before the snow season winds down.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
blkdodge wrote:
We will be workamping at Elk Meadows this season. Exact date not confirmed but we need to be there mid April. I never heard about the flood until last week.. Sounds/looks like it was pretty devastating. I sure he they all can recover quickly..

Won't be any problem getting up there to Elk Meadows. The only visual impact they had from the flood was some washout of the interior roads that go up the hill for some of the sites, and that was not significant. They are high enough in elevation as to have withstood the most damaging of the floodwaters. We stayed there early last season and really couldn't tell that they had sustained any damage.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lauren wrote:
BTW, I think Riverview RV Park on the west side of Loveland is open again after the damage from the last flood.

That is where the canyon ends coming down from Estes and they got hit hard.

That is where we stay.

Yup, all indications are that they are prepared for the 2015 season. I'm by there a couple times a month, last fall they had completed some of the landscaping along the river and by the entrance and getting all of the sites back up and running.

Interesting tidbit -- They are now marketing themselves as Cruise Inn - Riverview RV Park, at least from their website design. Looks like they upgraded their website and now have some pictures and video from the flood.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Red Eagle wrote:
Thanks for the info. Planning on camping there in Loveland and driving hwy 34 to Estes and the park. Does the road repair cause slower driving to Estes and are the campgrounds up & running again? Have not made reservations for Aug yet but planned to this week.

US 34 is fine between Loveland and Estes Park. CDOT did an incredible job in getting a temporary roadway built in 2 months, between the flood in September and the opening of the roadway in December. The temporary roadway, in appearance, looks like the regular roadway, but still needs to be permanently rebuilt. Should be no problem getting from Loveland to Estes Park this season.

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Except 95% of the activities and trails are on the East side. And the pine beetle damage is far worse on that side.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax

LowRyter
Explorer
Explorer
You know, I really enjoyed Grand Lake much more than Estes Park. Totally on the other side of RMNP.
John L
WW SL 2805 5th Wheel
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Allison Duramax X Cab
Ducati 939 SS, Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, Moto Guzzi EV California and Suzuki 1200 Bandit

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Slow process in some aspects - they say this was the worse one yet; exceeding the Big Thompson Flood in 1976. Am not sure of that but it was severe and large sections of Estes will not recover some roads / utilities (sewer) for as yet an undetermined time. Funding is the issue. Knowing the Elk Meadow location I do not think any serious flooding issues there.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax

blkdodge
Explorer
Explorer
We will be workamping at Elk Meadows this season. Exact date not confirmed but we need to be there mid April. I never heard about the flood until last week.. Sounds/looks like it was pretty devastating. I sure he they all can recover quickly..
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW/2012 Heartland Landmark San Antonio.

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
BTW, I think Riverview RV Park on the west side of Loveland is open again after the damage from the last flood.

That is where the canyon ends coming down from Estes and they got hit hard.

That is where we stay.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax

Red_Eagle
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info. Planning on camping there in Loveland and driving hwy 34 to Estes and the park. Does the road repair cause slower driving to Estes and are the campgrounds up & running again? Have not made reservations for Aug yet but planned to this week.

DAVES04RV
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Thom about US-34 reconstruction project information. I will be traveling to Rocky Mts. National Park and Estes Park in July for a week and will take that highway route from Loveland when I leave Cheyenne Wyoming.
David "enjoying retirement"
2006 Ford F250 V-10
2004 Airstream 25' Classic