cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Falls Colors

southernsky
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to go in a different direction to see the fall colors. When is the best time to see the colors in Northern New Mexico and Southern Colorado.
2022 Renegade Super C
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 Sport
6 REPLIES 6

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
southernsky wrote:
Looking to go in a different direction to see the fall colors. When is the best time to see the colors in Northern New Mexico and Southern Colorado.

Have found that the 21st of September is a good target and it can last from Pass to Pass till October 7th or so.

Some years a little earlier and some Later - but the target is around the 21st - Aspen

Once you see them you will continue to try to get back - again and again. Biggest issue is they come on fast and Leave even Faster.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Many varying factors here - moisture, elevation, location etc - figure mid Sept +/- week or two. God knows for each location but He never tells us.

(Lived in CO for 8 years and back many Falls to many locations in CO since moving in 2003.)
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

Tom_Mary_Lou
Explorer
Explorer
We were at Golden Gate SP last year the last week of September. Color was just gorgeous.
Tom & Mary Lou
'03 Dodge 2500, Q/cab,SB, 5.7 hemi
'14 Winnebago 26FWRKS

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
The best fall color I have seen in 54 years of living in Colorado was the first weekend of October 2016 on Cumbres and La Manga Passes on CO 17. For a photo and more details, see the US 285 post on my new blog HERE.

We (the Denver MG Car Club) were in Chama that weekend to ride Galloping Goose #5 over Cumbres Pass on the C&TSRR. You can watch a 14-minute video of our trip HERE, if you want to see some of that color on our way up the pass.

Interestingly, there were 25 1912-1922 Rolls-Royce Silver Ghosts in Chama the same day because they were riding the train through the fall aspens that weekend too. If you want to see a video of me driving a 1913 Silver Ghost, take a look HERE. I am the one on the right side of the car behind the steering wheel (it is an English car of course!).
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

timandsusan
Explorer
Explorer
We have been lucky to catch the Fall Colors while in Santa Fe. We missed the display for several years--usually happened in late Sept to early Oct. We finally waited it out for about 3 weeks. When it hit, everyone was up on the mountain and it was well worth it. So it is either patience or luck! Hope you catch the color somewhere.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
This was taken in Aspen on Sept. 21, 2015. The color in the Ouray area peaked a week later:

Click For Full-Size Image.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."