cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Florida RV parks

Central_Lake_RV
Explorer
Explorer
We are relatively new to RV'ing, although hubby is an almost retired truck driver. Bought a used truck and older 5th wheel, 28 ft., last fall and decided to try out the RV life. Have taken a couple of quick overnight trips to get used to it, that's all the time we've had. Headed for Florida, god willing, on 2-23-19 for a 2 week test trip. We've made reservations at one park, Hickory Point, near Tarpon Springs, for 2 days, but are wondering about parks further south, availability, prices, traffic, all of that. We haven't been to Florida in 15 years. Hoping for lots of advice from folks that are in parks down there...thank you!

PS- I just saw the "Snowbirds" forum...so I apologize for posting this here...but we are only going for two weeks, not the winter, so...but I will re-post over there in case I am in error here.
16 REPLIES 16

retispcsi
Explorer
Explorer
Well here is some insight. We are fulltime and Fla. residents. If Fla. travel is in the cards for you next winter plan earlier. We live in a resort in SW Fla during the winters now and travel north in the summer. Prior we would come into Fla. in the fall and go down either coast and exit in May on the opposite side. I-75 vs. I-95. We stayed mostly at State Parks or COE parks. Being residents and seniors state parks are half price. With the Senior pass COE parks and Fed parks are half price. Also look at Passport America and Escapees memberships for discounts. the only thing is you need to plan early.Fla reservations open up 11 mo to the day at 8am. EST for reservation and most of the popular parks book out fast. We still travel during the season to events in state and book state parks. We just plan early. In south Ga. check out Crooked River State park in St. Marys Ga. The areas around the Ga. coast are nice also. Good luck.
2015 Mobile Suites 38 RSSA. 2014 Ram CC DRW 4x4 60 gal RDS Aisin 4:10.
DW, Shadow, Remington and Ron. Living the good life till the next one arrives.

Central_Lake_RV
Explorer
Explorer
Let's hope not. We aren't planning on traveling in any snow storms.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Central Lake RV'er wrote:
I got a great deal on the Good Sam roadside assistance for a year, then they threw another deal at me for the membership. $74 for all...so I'm hoping we're all set now...and hoping we don't need the roadside assistance...

I hope youโ€™re all set too..... I thought the same way, then got left on the side of the interstate for hours in a snow storm while all the tow operators were responding to customers willing to pay full pop, not the discounted rates the roadside assistance operators pay.

Central_Lake_RV
Explorer
Explorer
I got a great deal on the Good Sam roadside assistance for a year, then they threw another deal at me for the membership. $74 for all...so I'm hoping we're all set now...and hoping we don't need the roadside assistance...

charming
Explorer
Explorer
I know many of your reservation problems are because of the popularity of Florida in winter. I lost out on the perfect spot for two nights in late April that I didn't grab the minute I saw it. It looks like the alternative I found is even better, Stephen Foster SP. Something interesting to see and do and not off our route.

My thoughts are about how many moves you're making in a short period of time. I hope you have time to stop and smell the roses. Have a great shake down trip.
Looking forward to new adventures and new friends.

Central_Lake_RV
Explorer
Explorer
Checked out a couple of Army Corps sites...great places, especially the W.P. Franklin North, but they were all full. It was a struggle to find something decent for just 2 days in Ft. Myers at an affordable price, but we finally did. Well, not real affordable, but ok. So we're all set for most of our time in Florida, after March 5 we're going to consider our options and may head for south Georgia, depending on the weather and our interest in driving over there. Now I'm looking at roadside assistance, but thinking that's something we really can't afford. Getting everything checked out, buying two more tires, before we go, and hubby has his toolbox and knows how to use it...so...

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
We have friends in Raintree as we speak and I can tell you it is a very nice park. Very clean and well kept up. Most people in there are long term winter snowbirds but they do have pads for short term also.

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
Are you familiar with Army Corps of Engineers campgrounds? I don't have experience with any of the ones in Florida, but I've never been disappointed in any of their campgrounds in other states. In Florida there is W. P. Franklin North near Fort Meyers, and St. Lucie South on Lake Okeechobe. There may be others as well. COE campgrounds are a terrific value if you're a senior citizen, because they are half price - generally $15 for a "standard electric" site.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

Central_Lake_RV
Explorer
Explorer
Have booked two more places so far...Manatee Lake State Park and Collier Seminole State Park, both for 2 nights each. Both due to sudden cancellations, I'm sure...I just happened to be online cruising the site when the two sites were re-posted...2 more minutes and I'm sure they would have been gone...anyway, thank you to those of you who recommended Reserve America, that's how I got these bookings. We are now down to booking just two more days, sadly, those are both in the middle of our stay, in between other bookings, and on a weekend. So no luck so far, and that includes a LOT of private RV parks. Raintree does have a couple of openings, but at $80 per night I've held off. Husband says truck stop is more attractive...LOL...

I also had the Camp Florida website recommended to me. Lots of parks that are not listed on Reserve America...

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would call Reserve America first. I've always booked on line but you have to call to get in that night. On line first available date is tomorrow night.
If you do go on line to search RA use this kink but leave the top blank empty. It will then search the entire FL state park system for openings. Play with it but I think the map choice will be more helpful for you.click here
Puma 30RKSS

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
If you haven't been to FL in 15 years, you might be surprised at the landscape...especially Tarpon Springs and that entire region. Maybe look for some places a little further north?
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

Central_Lake_RV
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you, Raintree is one of the parks I was looking at...!

Bea_PA
Explorer
Explorer
Many parks keep sites open for short term in case you like it and buy or monthly rent, Pricy but try Raintree North Fort Myers
Bea PA
Down sized Winnebago 2012 24V Class C
2003 Gold Wing 1800 recently triked (Big Red)

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
And the worse the winter is up north the more crowded it is here.

Use RESERVEAMERICA.com to search. The state parks are full but private cgs advertise there too.

RVParky app too.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.