cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Florida Sun RV Resorts & Other Campgrounds

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Are all Sun RV Resorts similar as far as cleanliness, amenities, etc. or are some very good while others aren't? We visit one in Ohio that is very nice but a little pricey for the area so we are wondering. I'm retired and the DW will be soon and we're thinking about being snowbirds in Florida next year. We're choosing Florida because we have some family and friends that live in the State. We have narrowed things down to wanting to be in the I4 area. We're choosing that area because it's not deep into Florida but far enough that freezing water in our travel trailer won't be much of an issue (hopefully) and not too far in any direction from our family and friends. Unfortunately, none of them are campers so they are no help in scoping things out for us. Of course we aren't looking only at Sun resorts but it's hard to know if a place is good or not because all places claim they're the best. We spent quite a bit of time researching the Paradise Oaks RV Resort in Bushnell FL. and it sounds nice but want to compare many others before making a decision. Basically what we're looking for is a nice clean place with good sized sites with all of the amenities one would need for an extended stay (laundry, close to grocery, gas, activities for young at heart 55 Y.O.'s etc.). Some place that meets those needs and isn't going to break the bank for a 5 month stay. Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.
10 REPLIES 10

texacokat
Explorer
Explorer
We are at Quail Run Resort, Wesley Chapel, FL. Very very clean and aesthetically pleasing. Close to everything you asked for. Did you ever see the movie, Stepford Wives? So, we looked for other CGs for next year, closer to the Gulf beach. We found a Wilder Resort: Sundance Lakes. Looked at the Sun Resorts on that side but didn't find anything we liked as well. Sundance Lakes has a very friendly and outgoing neighborhood feeling, sites that are grass with concrete patio pads, and they agreed to take our money TODAY for sites next Jan/Feb/Mar 2019. Many CGs in FL do not guarantee sites for next year unless you are on the 12 month or 7/5 month plan. Good luck.
Kathy & Scott
2018 Ford F-150 XLT
2018 Forest River Wildwood 27rks

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
Every area of Florida is different. What we have enjoyed doing is staying a week at various parks during January. That way we can explore the area and check out various c.g's and costs. For the month of February, we stay put in one place and extend our stay if we like it. Before returning home, we stop off for a week at another couple of c.g.'s.

Doing this has enabled us to see a lot of Florida and get a feel for a lot of campgrounds. Some we return to, others are knocked off the list. There are also some good deals for one week stays at RV shows and occasionally on line.

Doing an exploratory trip like this might work for you. Good luck finding the perfect spot. We are still looking.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Firstly, give up the thought of having a "good sized site". We were at Siesta Bay, a Sun resort, in the Ft. Myers area and while its a nice clean park with grat amenities the sites are not what I would call generous. Not bad but not generous.

Like any RV park/resort they vary. We stayed at Rock Crusher Canyon, a Sun resort also, in Crystal river FL. and their sites are generous by my standards. Nice park also with nice amenities.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks MDKMDK. Who knows, we may end up leaving the RV at home and just living like bums on the beach HAHAHAHA

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Good luck, hope it works out for you. ๐Ÿ™‚
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. I know some place others think is great, we might think isn't so great. Reviews are like that. What helps though is input like you have provided. It gives me a place to take a look at online, do a satellite view of the place, read the reviews etc. Then if the interest is still there on our part, we can call the people and get a feel for what they're like as people. We've discovered you can tell a lot about people from phone conversations. Especially if you don't sound too eager to book right then. In the end, it's still a **** shoot. I like the idea of a short stay with the option to stay longer but if we don't like the place, then what? These places book up fast. We might be able to find a place and be headed back North. The thought of doing a month or two at a time might be a good idea. At least then we're in Florida the whole winter and if we don't really care for one place at least we aren't there for 5 months.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Not knowing how good or bad a place might be, based on the opinions of others, it might be excessive to book it for 2-3 months, sight unseen. You might decide it's not for you the minute you pull up to the place.
If you aren't sure, and don't trust the opinions of the other reviewers, book it for a week, with an option to add time to your stay, and see how it goes. If it turns out to be dire, and you want to move on, do your scouting for some place else while using up the remaining days of your booked week. No major financial commitment that way, and less money wasted on a long booking at some place you don't like. You might see something better in the area, or might get better info from the locals.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
I suspect that for something like this, opinions are like,,,, well something else. Hence the variance in reviews. You can read them, but they are likely are to be all over the place as to the reviewers feelings.
The best for you may be to bite the bullet on a couple and try to stay 2-3 months at each, and use the time there to scout for next year and beyond.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
We stay at Blueberry Hill resort in Bushnell. Two types of sites: concrete and grass. We only stay a week at a time so they put us on a grass site. Sites are double width compared to most campgrounds so we can park our car on the side of the camper instead of in the back or front like others.
You can't beat the location. Just an easy walk to Walmart!
Another one to look at is Clerbrook Golf and RV Resort in Clermont. If you play golf it is paradise. We don't but it is close to a bicycle trail that we like to ride.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Google reviews aren't flattering overall, but some trip advisor reviews aren't as harsh. I think you have to pick one, and then research it.
Reviews