cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ft. Bragg / Mendocino RV parks

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Thinking of heading up to ride the Skunk Train this summer and taking the FW. Anyone have recommendations for good parks to check out in the Ft. Bragg / Mendocio area? Prefer full hookups. Don't really want to stay in Willits unless the CG is extra-nice.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member
10 REPLIES 10

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
F-TROUP wrote:
Skunk train was pretty blah you follow a stream with no panoramic views, then throw it in reverse and back down, that's the way it was 10 years ago.

I spoke with them and they do offer a through-trip, though you have to switch trains at North Spur, then overnight at the other end. A bit disappointing, but that makes an 80 mile round trip, and speeds are pretty slow, so it would be a =long= day. Doing it from the Willits end, overnighting in Ft. Bragg might be interesting, though. Some nice-looking hotels there.

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

F-TROUP
Explorer
Explorer
Skunk train was pretty blah you follow a stream with no panoramic views, then throw it in reverse and back down, that's the way it was 10 years ago.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
traindriver1 wrote:
Better check on skunk train operation. I went to Willets to ride train. They had a limited operation due to track problems, and only went about five miles from Willets and returned. I could have walked faster then they ran. Check Ft. Bragg operation, maybe it is better, if not save your time and money. I rode the skunk train a few years ago and it was a nice experience, not so this time. ymmv.

See my last post. :B

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

traindriver1
Explorer
Explorer
Better check on skunk train operation. I went to Willets to ride train. They had a limited operation due to track problems, and only went about five miles from Willets and returned. I could have walked faster then they ran. Check Ft. Bragg operation, maybe it is better, if not save your time and money. I rode the skunk train a few years ago and it was a nice experience, not so this time. ymmv.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks, all. I what thinking Pomo, but some of the reviews are =really= off-putting, especially the one I read about it being a "rules gulag" and the others that said that the staff was rude. Staff at the train also mentioned Casper. Being on the beach would be a bonus. As it is, this trip will be put off until '19 as they are doing major rehab on the track, so nothing is getting past Tunnel 1 from the FB end and they don't run steam from Willits. The whole purpose is to ride the steamer! :B Maybe we'll do the Cumbres & Toltec again, instead. :B

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
x3 on Pomo. Try to get a spot toward the back, away from the main road.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
2X on Westport RV park. Yes it is a little out of the way, but it is such a beautiful place.
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

Carl_n_Susan
Nomad II
Nomad II
X2 on Pomo.
Temp Signature1
Second Line
Third line
Fourth Line

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Pomo RV Park is the most recommended park in the area.
Casper Beach is a nice place also.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like Cleone RV Park and Mackerricher State Park but neither have full hookups...last time I was there. Both are close to town. Westport RV Park is nice but isolated 10 miles or so north on Hwy 1 from Ft. Bragg. Hwy. 1 north of Westport isn't one I'd tackle. Purple Rose in FB is a great Mexican restaurant.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad