cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ft Desoto Site Recommendation

petestulipbug
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, looking for site recommendations or any info you can provide on Ft Desoto. We have a trailer and this will be our first time camping there. It looks like they have some availability during the time frame we are looking at, but only handful of sites for trailers (160, 161, 108, and 175). Anyone familiar with these sites?

Thanks so much

Angela
5 REPLIES 5

petestulipbug
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you so much for the replies. I am thinking about waiting and hoping for a cancellation. I really wanted to get a water site and wasn't real impressed with the other options. Thanks again

modern_family
Explorer
Explorer
We have been many times.. The sites you listed are not the best (thus why they are still open.) You are not too far away, they do open up a few sites that day early morning ( these are for "walk up or drive up people), We have waited till the ealry morning and got nice site, but it is the luck of the draw.

IMO, the best sites are 202 - 230 (these are all on the water and very nice) Yes, some do have limited views, the lower 200's have less mangroves. BUT, since you can only book 6 months in advance, they go quick.
2017.. Prime Time Avenger. 32QBI

His.. 2011 F-350, King Ranch, 6.2L. Crew Cab, 4x4, 8' bed, SRW, 11,000 GVWR

Hers..2008 Ford Expedition, King Ranch Heavy Duty Tow, 3.73 gears

Sold.. 2005 Star craft, Travel Star 18SB

Sold.. 2013 Keystone Laredo, 291

NoVa_RT
Explorer
Explorer
You may want to go with a pull-thru site for the convenience, but when I was there recently I saw a fair number of trailers & 5th-wheels in the waterfront area in the section I was in, sites 165-236. The views are worth the $5 extra they charge for the waterfront sites, IMHO, but some views are partially limited by mangrove trees. The campground map on the Fort DeSoto website has them marked pretty well, so you might want to take a look at it.
2013 RT 190-Popular

is_it_friday_ye
Explorer
Explorer
We booked site #142. It will be our first time at this campground. Driving down from Michigan this coming February. The campsite photo looks nice online.
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins SRW, Airlift airbags, Bilstein shocks, Smarty Jr., stainless turbo back exhaust, B&W Patriot 18K

2015 Grand Design Momentum 328M, disc brakes, Progressive Industries 50 amp EMS

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
We've camped three or four times near 175, which is a center pull through in a quiet section. I'd go with that one because there are water sites on either side. Those center pull through sites are fairly large, as I recall.

(The other sites you listed are not close at all to water, also are in the Pet Area, which will be necessary if you are traveling with a dog.)

According to the camping info they provide when you check in, sites 86 to 236 are designed and equipped to accommodate all camping units. Pets permitted in sites 86 to 164 only. (Sites 1 to 85 are for tents, vans and popups only.)

So many sites are waterfront - you may want to ask on check-in what your chances are of getting a cancellation for a waterfront site.

It's a nice park - enjoy! We go there about every year.