cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rv park suggestion for Zion and Bryce.

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all. As per the title would appreciate any suggestions for campgrounds. We are 42 feet with a smart car on a trailer so the tunnel is out of the question.

Thanks in advance.

John and Angela.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.
13 REPLIES 13

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
I was in Watchman campground during the flood. Definitely drenching downpours. They closed the park for a few hours. Virgin River running 4000 CFS. A hiker killed in narrows. Watchman campground not evacuated or damaged. I left Watchman Sunday morning. There has been no significant rainfall in the area since. River has receded. Highway 9 to La Verkin had some dust on it in places but no damage-so at least that entrance is fine right now. Zion River Resort had no noticeable damage.
High pressure is on the way with warm days later in week.

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
magnusfide wrote:
Zion is having flash flooding problems right now. I recommend extreme caution and calling the park office regarding conditions and safety.

Will do. Thanks.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Zion is having flash flooding problems right now. I recommend extreme caution and calling the park office regarding conditions and safety.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
I would not stay at Zion River Resort ever again. They charged me more on my credit card than I have the receipt for (years ago) and have refused to refund the money to the correct amount. I finally gave up. Stay at Zion Canyon in Springdale. And Ruby's Inn in Bryce.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
Great suggestions all. I think we have a plan. Thank you all.

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
I'd say 42' w/ trailer is a stretch for Watchman. You may want to call Zion Canyon in Springdale. It is best location right on park border. Or call Zion River resort (nice private park). I was there yesterday and saw big pushers.

FWIW Zion Canyon has much better Verizon service than Zion River Resort (where it is weak and unreliable). Good Verizon at Watchman if you can fit. I'd really research the issue including trailer parking.

JJnLilly
Explorer
Explorer
We opted to stay in Panguitch at the KOA there. It was a drive to Zion but very close to Bryce. Once in Zion you have to use the shuttle.
2007 Ram 2500 QC CTD
2020 Passport GT 2210

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Stay right outside of the park entrance in Springdale. The free shuttle makes stops there, restaurants, gift shops, small grocery, fuel.

Directions: Depends where you're coming from. I-15, east on Hwy 9 through Hurricane and Virgin and on to Springdale. Easy.

Leaving: Hwy 9 west and you'll have two choices - I-15 north to Hwy 20, south on 89 to Hwy 12. East on Hwy 12 to Ruby's RV just outside Bryce.

Another choice is to get to Hurricane, UT on Hwy 9 and pick up UT59 which becomes AZ389 into Fredonia. Then north on 89 to Hwy 12 east.

Depending where you're going from Bryce, Hwy 12 is very doable with a big rig. It's a gorgeous drive.

All are good roads with a big RV. Don't take Hwy 14 from Cedar City to Hwy 89. It's steep and curvy.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
rv2go wrote:
John & Angela wrote:
rv2go wrote:
I would opt for the Watchman CG inside Zion NP. 30 and 50 amp service. Water and a dump station.
Ruby's is a private CG just outside Bryce NP.

You can catch the shuttles from either CG.

Thanks for the reply. Do I have to go through the tunnel for the watchman?

Thanks.

Which direction will you be traveling?

The Watchman CG is inside the Park just across the creek from the city of Springdale. If coming from I-15 on Hwy 9, you do not go thru the Tunnel.
Going to Bryce from Zion, you will have to take the long way around in order to avoid the tunnel.

Coming from the North. Currently in Alberta.

Oh. And forgot to mention, hookups are a nice to have, not need to have.

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
John & Angela wrote:
rv2go wrote:
I would opt for the Watchman CG inside Zion NP. 30 and 50 amp service. Water and a dump station.

Thanks.

Which direction will you be traveling?

The Watchman CG is inside the Park just across the creek from the city of Springdale. If coming from I-15 on Hwy 9, you do not go thru the Tunnel.
Going to Bryce from Zion, you will have to take the long way around in order to avoid the tunnel.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

pasco1215
Explorer
Explorer
Try Zion River RV Resort in Virgin, UT. Not in the park but about 9 miles from the entrance. Full Hook ups. Nicest Park in area, in my opinion.
HAPPY RVing! :W
2007 TIFFIN ALLEGRO BUS "R RV"
2004 Saturn SUV "R VUE"
Our Co-Pilot "PASCO" the pearl white schnauzer

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
rv2go wrote:

Thanks.

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer

Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog