cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gas can mount on top of spare tire on back wall of trailer

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you already have a good way to transport your gas for your generator, stop reading – this post is a waste of your time.

But if you have a very small trailer with the spare on the back and no good way to transport your gas can (a fairly common set of circumstances), this may be of interest.

This blog post lays out, step by step, how I built a secure mount for the gas can. Here is a picture of the finished product:

Click For Full-Size Image.

As you’ll see if you read the blog post, this mod results in greater stability for the whole spare tire assembly – it reduces the road vibration substantially. Fair warning -- the blog post has lots of detail and lots of photos. Here’s the link:

Gas can on top of spare tire
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
37 REPLIES 37

Tachdriver
Explorer
Explorer
The only thing I have seen is a fold down shelf in the back on certain campers....I forgot the make and model but that would be a mod that goes beyond what you have done and perhaps what you need.

The campers in question if I remember correctly do not have a pass through cargo and that is where the cargo is strapped down and carried.

Here is a link that you can see what I mean.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
So this discussion raises a question -- where do most people carry gas cans for their generators? If I had a roof rack on my truck, it would go there. If I had an open cargo bed, the can would go there. But my truck has an enclosed cargo bed -- I have one of those camper shell toppers.

So for me, there are only three choices -- in the cargo bed (where the fumes can build up), on the tongue (no room), or very securely mounted, high up on the rear wall of my trailer.

I have opted for the third choice, but I am very aware that the can is vulnerable to a severe rear end collision. The safety concerns expressed by some of the posters above are entirely valid.
About our trailer

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

It is illegal to carry propane in an enclosed compartment. It is not safe because propane is heavier than air and will pool if there is a leak.

mgirardo wrote:
profdant139 wrote:
So my question is this: is this arrangement any different from a tongue-mounted gas can? It is virtually the same as the jeep cans that carry gas racks on the spare tire -- I see those on SUVs every day.

In my opinion, it is a safety hazard no matter where it is. Gas in portable containers attached to a vehicle is inherently dangerous.

With your can being 6' off the ground, you'd have to be rear-ended by a tractor trailer to make contact with the gas can. I think you are probably fine where it currently is.

If I had to carry a small gas can, I'd either carry it on the roof. I'd slide the roof rack cross bars so they hold the can in place and then strap it down or in a milk crate in the trunk - the same way I carry a 20lb bottle of propane.

-Michael
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
So my question is this: is this arrangement any different from a tongue-mounted gas can? It is virtually the same as the jeep cans that carry gas racks on the spare tire -- I see those on SUVs every day.

In my opinion, it is a safety hazard no matter where it is. Gas in portable containers attached to a vehicle is inherently dangerous.

With your can being 6' off the ground, you'd have to be rear-ended by a tractor trailer to make contact with the gas can. I think you are probably fine where it currently is.

If I had to carry a small gas can, I'd either carry it on the roof. I'd slide the roof rack cross bars so they hold the can in place and then strap it down or in a milk crate in the trunk - the same way I carry a 20lb bottle of propane.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
The crate is bolted to the platform -- the blog post (which is too detailed, in my own opinion) explains how it is fastened. The strap is sort of incidental -- it is just designed to reduce vibration. I would never rely on a strap alone, especially not where a gas can is involved!!

Sorry about that. I looked again and saw that I'd missed the bolting down of the crate. When I saw the bungee cord around the crate I thought it and the ratchet strap were the only things holding it on the platform.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I should add that the setup I have created is at least as solid as the propane tanks on the tongue, and probably more so.

But, admittedly, the propane cans are on the tongue, rather than at the back of the trailer.
About our trailer

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Scott, I appreciate your point of view. But an ordinary bump won't budge this thing -- it is six feet off the pavement, and a bumper-thumper won't affect it.

A big impact will, though.

About our trailer

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I agree with Lantley, I would not carry fuel back there.
One bump from another driver and it's a disaster (1/gal gas = 24 sticks of dynomite). To me it just isn't worth the risk to my family or someone elses.
Like the propane bottles, I think it would be safer on the tongue as long as it's well secured.
I've known burn victims and I would ask you to please reconsider.

Best regards,
Scott

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I should add that if you look at the blog post and the photos, you will see that the gas can is not just perched haphazardly on the tire -- it is bolted to the trailer. If I could still do pull-ups, I could do a pull-up on the platform to which the gas can is secured. Very solid.

So yes, I am very aware of the risk and have done everything possible to mitigate it.
About our trailer

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lantley, that is true -- if I get rear-ended violently, there is a chance that the can could get knocked over. But the risk is essentially the same if the can is on the tongue -- a side impact or a rollover will spill the gas.

The same risk is present if the gas can is inside the cargo bed of the truck (where I have been carrying it). A bad crash will spill the gas.

By contrast, a true built-in gas tank is (in most vehicles) an armored metal container, designed to withstand impact. The little plastic tanks that most of us carry are much less safe, no matter where we put them.
About our trailer

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I don't mean to rain on your parade, but am I the only one to see the inherent danger in carrying an exposed unprotected gas can on the rear of a trailer?
Can you not see the potential for a rear end explosion! Gasoline is volatile stuff.
Does anyone remember the Ford Pinto?
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree that weight is a concern, but it's just one gallon of gas -- maybe 8 pounds??
About our trailer

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
I think you did a great job but as I stated when you re-braced your back wall, I'm still concerned about the integrity of the back wall when you add 30 plus pounds of gas and the weight of the can to it. I hope it works for you as it's a nice solution to carrying that gas can.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
The crate is bolted to the platform -- the blog post (which is too detailed, in my own opinion) explains how it is fastened. The strap is sort of incidental -- it is just designed to reduce vibration. I would never rely on a strap alone, especially not where a gas can is involved!!
About our trailer

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
Instead of strapping the crate to the rods why not bolt it to the plywood platform? Then you know for sure that a strap failure is never going to cause you to lose it. Straps do wear and break