cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Glacier National Park

dean_and_monica
Explorer
Explorer
What is the best time of year to see Glacier National Park. Would love to the Going to the sun road. When is this road clear of snow. Right now we are thinking mid June or would it be better to wait until mid July.
New TV: 2007 Dodge Mega Cab 2500 5.9L Diesel
New Rig: 2011 Rockwood Signiture Ultra Lite 8313SS
Old TV2002 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71
Old Rig: 2008 Roo 23SS ---- Destroyed by Mother Nature
25 REPLIES 25

bradyk
Explorer
Explorer
We only live a few hours away and frequent there for many years. If I was booking a vacation and wanted to be sure of getting through the park I would suggest mid July to mid September is best. Go before and as suggested you will need to cross your fingers on roads being fully open and be able to do some beautiful hikes at the top of the pass. If you don't have kids go for the later time and you will find the end of August and early September are the best for less traffic and esy to drive around.
2001 Chevrolet 2500hd Silverado LT 4x4 6.0L/4.10
2005 KZ Outdoorsmen 2605PF
Equal-i-zer 10K WDH
Champion 4000W Generator
Champion 2000W Generator x 2
Ken & Sandra
Yugi Dog, Jet Dog

HHfundays
Explorer
Explorer
Loved driving that road! Beautiful sights and a fun road. Logans Pass is not to miss.
Happy Trails...

jimbob3ca
Explorer
Explorer
The Going to the Sun road is not very often open before July 1, and as pointed out previously, can be well into July before it is open. Keep in mind that there is an excellent shuttle service operated from July 1 until Sept.1 and it is free. This means that you can leave the driving to someone else, and enjoy the stunning scenery. You can get out at any of the stops to spend some time, then pick up another shuttle later. Our experience is that parking at most of the parking areas for scenic views is at a premium. You may find that you will have to drive right through without getting out of the car because of the lack of parking. Unless things have changed from two years ago, you can catch the shuttle on either the east or west side. The east shuttle goes to the top where you would switch to the west side system. There is also a change-over point at Avalanche before getting to the west side at Apgar.

cindik
Explorer
Explorer
My Son works at Glacier, and I was lucky enough to spend a week there with him the last of August. Glacier is one of those places that just makes you say, OMG, it is awesome! Going to the Sun Road is beautiful, and that is what Glacier is all about. So, definitely plan on doing that. I would plan on late July or August, temps are nice then too. Don't stress about driving it, take the Red Bus tour. We took the Crown of the Continent tour from West Glacier to East Glacier, and were able to just sit back, enjoy the scenery, and let someone else do the driving.
IF YOU CAN'T STAND BEHIND OUR SOLDIERS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM
THE ONLY THING HARDER THAN BEING A SOLDIER, IS LOVING ONE

Our Photos

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
The latest opening I can remember was 2011 - I drove it on the first day, July 13th. While there are many opinions on the prettiest road in the US, Going to the Sun gets my vote, even over the Beartooth...

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dick_B wrote:
IMHO there is no good reason to drive the GTTS road. It's probably the most narrow and treacherous road this side of Nepal. Going west it's not so bad but the return trip is inches from oblivion.

Untill you've driven it! It is an awesome drive! And te speeds are low enough that no one can do anything stupid........well almost! There are the mouth breathers that ride the brakes all the way down!

The best drive i have done to date. Next is Beartooth pass!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'll go along with rv2go, Mid June is almost assuredly too soon, GTS will probably still be closed over the pass, Sept, in my opinion is too late as most of the beautiful water falls will be dried up or slowed to a trickle by then. The time I would go would be early July, although the GTS may still not open till Mid July on a bad year.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dick_B wrote:
IMHO there is no good reason to drive the GTTS road. It's probably the most narrow and treacherous road this side of Nepal. Going west it's not so bad but the return trip is inches from oblivion.

Oh you wimpy 'flatlander'. GTTS highway is a piece of cake. Did east & west in one day a few yers ago with the dually. Roads are as wide as here at home, 20', less in spots, no shoulder, wall or rock cutting at side. What is the problem?

Drive slow. Enjoy the scenery. Run right over those smartcars with flatland tags that want to drive the center line.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:

Although the GTTS requires a bit of care, the trip is amazing and is not to be missed. We drove up to Logan Pass from the West Glacier at sunset, and then the next day drove around the South of GNP through Essex and then over the top from the East. It was truly amazing with 12 mountain goats and a grizzly. We did this because of perpetual road construction, and to let the clouds clear later in the day. Do it!
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
I'll just say they all beat the heck out of driving through clear cut pine forests and tree farms of my home in southern Arkansas.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
AlabamaTraveler wrote:
The most beautiful drive in America is the drive thru Bear Tooth Pass going from Red Lodge to the northern entrance of Yellowstone. We drove in in early June. The plowing had been finished and it was spectacular.

I would say "ONE of the most beautiful" The road from the Bear Tooth to Cody (HY 296 ?) is also in my top 10 list.

Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

Joe2222
Explorer
Explorer
We went in early September. Excellent weather and not too crowded.
The "Going to The Sun Road" is well worth the trip. The hike to Hidden
Lake from Logan' Pass Visitor Center is a must. Be sure to allow several days to leisurely explore the Park. have a great trip.

Joe & Lorraine
2015 Rockwood Ultra Light 2608WS,
14 Ford F150 Super Cab 3.5L EcoBoost

Sebastian FL

:Z:R

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think it was in 2010 that it opened July 4. I wouldn't plan on anything before mid July.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
we were there in Sept. and it was beautiful and no problems with snow.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes