cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Going to Charleston for Reunion

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
We are going to a Submarine reunion at the No. Charleston Marriott on Goer Dr. Sept. 13 - 16. I want to make a trip of it and hate flying so we need a CG close to town. Mt. Pleasant, James Island and Oak Plantation are the three that I have read about here and TL Book but the mileage from the CGs to No. Charleston are vague and confusing to me. It is like trying to give directions to someone from back there to some point in Los Angeles. Unless you're familiar it's near impossible.

So what CG would be closest and easiest to get to the hotel from, are there any better CGs? I'm a Veteran but not retired so FamCamps are out.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II
8 REPLIES 8

Drbolasky
Explorer
Explorer
James Island County Park. Worth the effort to get there.

Doug, Linda, Audrey (USN) & Andrew

2008 Sequoia SR-5, 5.7 L, 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB Bunkhouse, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Reese W.D. Hitch/Dual Cam Sway Control, Prodigy Brake Controller, McKesh Mirrors
:B

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Unfortunately, Summerville nor Goose Creek has anything besides the KOA. Next closest think out this way is Givhans Ferry State Park ant that would be little over 1 hour drive.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
We really liked Oak Plantation (seemed to be easier to get to than James Is too), BUT they are both on the opposite side of Charleston from where you want to go. I'm guessing one of the KOAs might work better - or you might check more inland, to see if there's anything (Goose Creek & Summerville come to mind, as they are closer to North Charleston.)
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
JICP is your spot!
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
What times will you be traveling from the campground to the reunion? That will help determine the best campground to choose. I live in the area and know the traffic patterns.

But without knowing that information, James Island County Park (JICP) would be the best. Usually you are either going against rush hour traffic or across the main grain so not bad. Oak Plantation would be similiar traffic pattern, but not as nice as JICP.

KOA N. Charleston would be the shortest and easiest commute, but it isn't usually the place I recommend unless convenience is the main goal.

KOA Mt Pleasant while nice, would have the worst traffic since a lot of days I526 is very slow going for a couple hours. But, your schedule may make this the best choice.

Shame you are not retired, as the FamCamp off of Redbank would be idea. If any of your buds are retired, you could check to see if they would sponsor your stay. You just may find out one is staying at the FamCamp and can sponsor you. There are usually a number of sites available.

When you figure out where you are staying, let me know and I will send you clear directions on the best route. Most folks follow the GPS but there are a number of main roads you can take to save some headaches. Don't worry, I won't be sending you through small neighborhoods. But after 50 years in Charleston, I know my way around.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

TragedyTrousers
Explorer
Explorer
I 2nd James Island County Park. Make reservations way in advance though.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
#1 you don't want to stay too close to North Charleston... lot more crime up there than in Charleston proper.

#2 my experience is that James Island County Park is the best park in that area. Price point, amenities, site size, ease of access to the city... all the best at JICP.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

byrdr1
Explorer
Explorer
i would use the James Island county park. You are not that far from anywhere in Charleston. YOu can jump over to the downtown area in like 10 minutes depending on traffic. YOu will have to cross the bridge to get tot submarine and ship site across the river. BUT its an easy drive. everything/major roads, etc. runs around the town.
e were the Marriott is it would be a a few turns and then up the I-26, I would not use the I-526. the other way(I-26) would be a straighter shot.
but it should be easy to get too from James Island. We have camped there 4 times and once last year. We love it there..
randy

2014 F-350 SRW CC/LWB 4X4 6.7PSD

2011 Keystone Cougar 327RES
Happy Campin'
Randy
Piedmont area of NC