cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GRAND CANYON PLACES TO STAY

KIMKUGLER
Explorer
Explorer
Planning a trip to grand canyon mid September and need to know where to stay and what are the "must see"attractions. We plan on staying 3 -4 days and want to see both north and south rim. Have 37' class A but would like full hookup. Might have towed car if not will rent.
5 REPLIES 5

bigorange
Explorer
Explorer
If youโ€™re unable to get in Trailer Village Iโ€™d recommend Camper Village in Tusayan right outside the park. Convenient to a shuttle stop, iMax, and a few restaurants.
Not all those who wander are lost. - Tolkien

2018 Cherokee 235B 5W
2011 Ram 2500 CC SWB SLT 4WD 6.7 CTD 3.73
B&W Turnover Ball + Companion Slider hitch
2003 Sierra T22 TT - Sold

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
I'd also recommend Trailer Village in the national park itself. Free shuttle bus at the door and even a pleasant stroll to the Rim.

As far as "must see attractions" - the Grand Canyon is it!! Be sure to walk down the Bright Angel Trail if only for a very short distance to get you below the Rim. You'll appreciate the Canyon and it'll give you an altogether different perspective.

For the North Rim either stay in the park or just outside the gate at DeMotte national forest campground. You'll fit in either. No hookups though. The North Rim campground does have a dump and water fill.

Each national park in the country has a wonderful web site with lots of good information on what to do, see, special park alerts, road conditions, etc. Read them thoroughly.

https://www.nps.gov/grca/index.htm
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Was at the Grand Canyon both rims last October. September and October are glorious times to be there.

For the North Rim and FHU, choices are limited. Kaibab CamperVillage at Jacob Lake is the only place I recall that has FHU. There's also Jacob Lake CG, it's USFS CG with no hookups. Jacob Lake is 45 miles from the North Rim. Within the North Rim there's the CG within the park, which is fantastic, but no hookups. Outside the park, closer to the entrance, there's Demotte USFS CG, again no hookups. And there's boondocking areas between Jacob Lake and the park entrance.

For the South Rim, Trailer Village is the logical choice. Inside the park, FHU, convenient to everything to see and do on that side of the canyon. Shuttle stop at the entrance to Trailer Village, takes you everywhere you want to go...for free.

Drive around from North to South is 197 miles. Plan to stop at Navajo Bridge for some great photo ops and some great history of the area. Allow for about 5 hours to get around.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
For the South Rim, I would make reservations for Trailer Village inside the park.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
You do realize it is a four to five hour drive one way from the south to the north rim.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited