cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

grand canyon

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
We are going to go to Grand Canyon in Sept after the trip through Utah's canyons, etc.North or south rim we are thinking south and staying at Grand Canyon Railway RV Park. any thought or is there better places.
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD
25 REPLIES 25

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
The north rim will close do to snow in a few weeks. You will have to check locally, they get snow and close the road, usually by mid-October. Feet of snow!

The south rim is much warmer. I would suggest the Trailer Village just outside the park, if you will be staying more than 3 nights. I would really suggest staying inside the park, they have the most scenic campsites, but no water hookups, or electric. Late September at 6,500' altitude, it should not be to hot. . .

Trailer Village has a I-Max theater just across the street, walking distance. Great movies of the National Parks on the HUGE screen.. .

I have not been on that train, probably never will.. I enjoyed the Durango - Silverton train a lot.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

knshook
Explorer
Explorer
Mike Taverniti wrote:
You would be happy at Grand Canyon Railway RV Park.
Ditto Trailer Village. It's right there! We highly recommend it ! Shuttle buses nearby, no need to find parking,etc. It just can't be beat for quick access to South Rim! I would nix the train ride ,too!
Sorry for included quote. Have no idea how I did that. :h It has absolutely nothing to do with my response.

Mike_Taverniti
Explorer
Explorer
You would be happy at Grand Canyon Railway RV Park.

jesseannie
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed four days at the south rim and four days at the North Rim. They are really different. If you have time I wouldn't miss seeing the canyon from both sides.
Only 10% of the visitors to the GC visit the North Rim.
jesse

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We would also recommend Trailer Village IN the park itself. It's so convenient to do things in the park.

Hwy 64 from Williams to the canyon is a very boring, long drive and if you take the train it's very expensive, you only get a few hours at the canyon and you'll get a hokey cowboy skit.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

intheburbs
Explorer
Explorer
We were there last month. Plenty of ranger talks around the South Rim.

We stayed at Trailer Village - awesome location, and you can use the shuttle buses if you don't want to drive.

I absolutely love trains. However, the thought of using that train to "commute" to the Canyon is not appetizing. And the drive along 64 absolutely sucks. We did it once, on our way into the park, and that was enough.

If you want to ride the train, do it once. You'll be much happier staying at Trailer Village.
2008 Suburban 2500 3LT 3.73 4X4 "The Beast"
2013 Springdale 303BHS, 8620 lbs
2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali (backup TV, hot rod)
2016 Jeep JKU Sahara in Tank, 3.23 (hers)
2010 Jeep JKU Sahara in Mango Tango PC, 3.73 (his)

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
We did that some years ago and enjoyed the train ride up and back. We also, however, visited the North Rim and enjoyed that more than the South Rim due to the Ranger talks which did not exist at the South Rim.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

FINELINE
Explorer
Explorer
Go on line and reserve a spot right in the grand canyon. Trailer village is as close as you can get to Canyon and is pretty nice. Full hookups

http://www.grandcanyonlodges.com/lodging/trailer-village/

It sometimes hard to book during the summer months but if you go on line you may find some sites open when your going. We stayed a week there exploring the canyon beats driving in everyday.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
If you want an old west adventure take the train from Williams to the Grand Canyon. Fun and great scenery.

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
Trailer Village is in Grand Canyon National Park on the south rim. It has full hookups as well as a great location. There should be a bit fewer visitors and the weather should be great.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you want hookups, the South rim is the way to go. The north rim has aspens that will be turning in September, with much cooler temps. If you are interested in boondocking on the north rim, maybe check out our blog post:

Rainbow Rim

We were there in late May -- I can only imagine what that canyon would look like, framed in gold aspens.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."