cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Has anyone camped at Pirateland Family Camping Resort in SC?

Ruthless
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone camped at Pirateland Family Camping Resort in Myrtle Beach, SC?
24 REPLIES 24

chops1sc
Explorer II
Explorer II
I know this is an "old" thread, but I wanted to add my $.02

I have been camping at Pirateland in my teens (early 90's) with my family and we always loved it. Flash forward and we went back last year for the first time in forever and they have made a lot of changes. My daughter enjoys the new splash pad and lazy river (we do too, lol). We have stayed 3 times in the last year and we will definitely be back. I like how you can choose between a wooded area (they call it inland) or a beach area. I personally prefer the inland but our last trip put us in the beach area and we still had a good time.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a drive through video of PirateLand.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

ttempleton
Explorer
Explorer
Stayed at PL last summer, give 7 out Of 10. Myrtle Beach travel park is better imho
Templeton
2003 DP Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PST

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Another thing to look at is the length of time you have to reserve a site at a campground there in the Myrtle Beach area. They all have different windows...Usually it's somewhere between memorial day and labor day...although the dates will differ. What I am referring to is the minimum night stay...they usually have minimum amount of nights you have to reserve. I didn't see it mentioned on Piratesland website yesterday, but I remember their site being a little harder to find the rules pertaining to that in the past. Either that, or they have lifted it. Be sure to check with the campground you choose before or when making reservations.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
wbwood wrote:
We've driven through Pirateland and Myrtle Beach State Park. We've stayed at Lakewood and Ocean Lakes. Out of the big 3, Ocean Lakes is my first choice, with a toss up of the other two. Maybe Pirateland and then Lakewood.

If you looking for a more natural setting and a little cheaper, then Myrtle Beach State Park would be a decent option. The only issue is that you are close to the airport. I have footage somewhere of Pirateland. Surprised I don't have a video up of it. Will have to look.

There are some similarities and some differences. Without getting into the politics of them, take a look at the aerial view of the 3 campgrounds. Many newcomers do not realize some of the things I am about to mention or even know if it makes a difference or not.

Ocean Lakes campsites are pull-through's and are at an angle to the beach. Believe it or not, with the way the wind typically comes in, it make a difference. The majority of the sites are concrete pads. There are some in the back that are still earth, but they are slowly converting them. All the sites have your front door facing the ocean. You reserve specific sites at Ocean Lakes. Their website tells you the exact dimensions, any obstacles and the distance to the beach.

Lakewood sites hare all back in (with exception of a few over near the north end.) The back of your RV is near the back of the RV behind you. They are offset a little, but if you have a back window, then you are looking at the people outside behind you. The end of your RV's could literally be a few feet apart. We've actually witnessed someone backing in a motorhome and almost hitting the Rv in a site behind. Half the sites have your door facing the ocean and half have them facing away. I guess there could be pros and cons of that either way. With Lakewood, you reserve areas. They put in in sites. When it's not so busy, I heard you can go and pick your own site.

Pirateland is a mixture. They are changing some of their sites. The majority of their sites (and the older ones) back up to each other like Lakewood does. Although they come with covered picnic tables. The negative of that, is your back window is hovering over their picnic table. If the people behind you stay up late and sit a the table and your bedroom window is there, then I guess you could hear each other. The bad news is when you are at your picnic table, you may feel like the campsite behind you are watching you...lol Some put tarps up. Most of the sites are parallel to the ocean, so you have that wind thing. But they do have some newer paved pull-through sites that are on the angle (much like what Ocean Lakes is like). "Campsite reservations for a specific site number (based on availability) may be made over the phone if the stay is for 7 nights or more and paid in full when reservation is made." (directly from their website)

Good post!
The only thing I`ll add is that you can reserve a specific site for 4 days at Pirateland (we did in July). Wasn't an issue. our site had our slideout facing the ocean. which was good because we could have the awning out with it being windy.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

CampingN_C_
Explorer
Explorer
We currently stay at MBTP every year but have stayed at PL and OL in the past. Of the three big campgrounds down south we like PL the best and will likely return when the kids are a little older.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW CCLB Aisin 4.10 4x4

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
We've driven through Pirateland and Myrtle Beach State Park. We've stayed at Lakewood and Ocean Lakes. Out of the big 3, Ocean Lakes is my first choice, with a toss up of the other two. Maybe Pirateland and then Lakewood.

If you looking for a more natural setting and a little cheaper, then Myrtle Beach State Park would be a decent option. The only issue is that you are close to the airport. I have footage somewhere of Pirateland. Surprised I don't have a video up of it. Will have to look.

There are some similarities and some differences. Without getting into the politics of them, take a look at the aerial view of the 3 campgrounds. Many newcomers do not realize some of the things I am about to mention or even know if it makes a difference or not.

Ocean Lakes campsites are pull-through's and are at an angle to the beach. Believe it or not, with the way the wind typically comes in, it make a difference. The majority of the sites are concrete pads. There are some in the back that are still earth, but they are slowly converting them. All the sites have your front door facing the ocean. You reserve specific sites at Ocean Lakes. Their website tells you the exact dimensions, any obstacles and the distance to the beach.

Lakewood sites hare all back in (with exception of a few over near the north end.) The back of your RV is near the back of the RV behind you. They are offset a little, but if you have a back window, then you are looking at the people outside behind you. The end of your RV's could literally be a few feet apart. We've actually witnessed someone backing in a motorhome and almost hitting the Rv in a site behind. Half the sites have your door facing the ocean and half have them facing away. I guess there could be pros and cons of that either way. With Lakewood, you reserve areas. They put in in sites. When it's not so busy, I heard you can go and pick your own site.

Pirateland is a mixture. They are changing some of their sites. The majority of their sites (and the older ones) back up to each other like Lakewood does. Although they come with covered picnic tables. The negative of that, is your back window is hovering over their picnic table. If the people behind you stay up late and sit a the table and your bedroom window is there, then I guess you could hear each other. The bad news is when you are at your picnic table, you may feel like the campsite behind you are watching you...lol Some put tarps up. Most of the sites are parallel to the ocean, so you have that wind thing. But they do have some newer paved pull-through sites that are on the angle (much like what Ocean Lakes is like). "Campsite reservations for a specific site number (based on availability) may be made over the phone if the stay is for 7 nights or more and paid in full when reservation is made." (directly from their website)
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
I don't know what you seen, but our site was a huge beachfront site. Parked the trailer with 4 feet between slide out out and the fence. Put the awning out and it was just before the gazebo. Parked my Excursion at the front of the site with plenty of room for a second car if we had one.

Walked through OL and I seen cars/trucks parked under the awnings and you had to walk around a car to get out your door. Sites were only about 45ft long. Seen a big rig with front and rear bumpers barely clearing the roadway. No thanks!

We have been going to Ocean Lakes for years some sites are small, most are fine, we have never had to park under our awning. We have had plenty of room for two cars. The trouble is many campers bring a golf cart a trailer to haul it on, their camper, and two vehicles. Takes up a lot of space. Have seen some with the camper and a large box trailer.

Security cracks down on golf carts now after 11PM. You see very few after then. Cruising after 11PM will get you in big trouble.

It is going to be interesting to see how the new water park affects things.

But the campground is big over 800 campsites.

But has been mentioned all of the MB campgrounds have pros and cons.................

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
eluwak wrote:
We're booked there the last week of June this year. DW has been wanting to take the kiddos there for the last couple of years. Hoping it all works out well since it's a bit of a hike for us (usually stick within 5-6 hours). I personally prefer museums and forest trails, but DW loves the beach.

About an hour north is The Battleship USS. North Carolina. they offer tours of the ship. worth the drive!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

A bad day camping is

eluwak
Explorer
Explorer
We're booked there the last week of June this year. DW has been wanting to take the kiddos there for the last couple of years. Hoping it all works out well since it's a bit of a hike for us (usually stick within 5-6 hours). I personally prefer museums and forest trails, but DW loves the beach.
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 CC LB 6.0L
1998 Chevy C2500 Suburban 454 3.73 (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 EB CC 4x4 w/Max Tow (Sold) ๐Ÿ˜ž
2013 North Trail 28BRS

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know what you seen, but our site was a huge beachfront site. Parked the trailer with 4 feet between slide out out and the fence. Put the awning out and it was just before the gazebo. Parked my Excursion at the front of the site with plenty of room for a second car if we had one.

Walked through OL and I seen cars/trucks parked under the awnings and you had to walk around a car to get out your door. Sites were only about 45ft long. Seen a big rig with front and rear bumpers barely clearing the roadway. No thanks!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

Cecilt
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:
We just drove through Pirateland to check the place out. I'm a little surprised by the claim of "huge sites"- that's definitely now how I would describe them. They were adequate but nothing to write home about.

Additionally, it just felt a little dingy and run down. The canopies all seemed to be fairly banged up and some of the campsites had a ton of stuff/trash around them (a few looked downright abandoned).

All told, I don't think we'll be back.

^^This is 100% the way our family felt 2 years ago when we drove through Pirateland to just check it out.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
We just drove through Pirateland to check the place out. I'm a little surprised by the claim of "huge sites"- that's definitely now how I would describe them. They were adequate but nothing to write home about.

Additionally, it just felt a little dingy and run down. The canopies all seemed to be fairly banged up and some of the campsites had a ton of stuff/trash around them (a few looked downright abandoned).

All told, I don't think we'll be back.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

wecamp04
Explorer
Explorer
We have stayed at all of them through the last 20 years,good and bad in all.