cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Have you been to Yellowstone in the winter?

realter
Explorer
Explorer
I've read Yellowstone is so nice in the winter. I'm considering going there in February or early March. Anybody have any suggestions.? Thanks.
20 REPLIES 20

RambleOnNW
Explorer II
Explorer II
We've been to Yellowstone twice on snowmobiles, both as day trips from Big Sky, Montana where we were skiing. We're used to being outside in cold weather so were somewhat prepared. I say somewhat prepared since on our first visit we snowmobiled in from West Yellowstone, Montana and it was -20F and snowing. The only part of me that was cold was the tops of my hands...the snowmobile handle grips are heated. We were going to Old Faithful and touring the geyser basins. The sun eventually came out and it was great. We also went up along the Firehole River which is not allowed any longer.

Our 2nd trip we also came in from West Yellowstone and this time went up to Mammoth Hot Springs.

Winter is a great time to go if you can stand the cold. Less crowded and the thermal features have even more steam due to the cold temperatures. If you do take snowmobiles rent the biggest snowmobiles you can, they soak up the bumps that appear by the end of the day better than the smaller snowmobiles. That is something we learned from our first trip.

Here's a couple of photos, the first, discovered the snowmobiles had no reverse, and the mud pots.

2006 Jayco 28', E450 6.8L V10, Bilstein HDs,
Roadmaster Anti-Sway Bars, Blue Ox TigerTrak

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dick_B wrote:
I'm going to stay home, keep warm, and watch the Yellowstone webcams.
X-2, not a big fan of Snow or Winter in general.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

kcmoedoe
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
Isn`t the only open entrance at the NW side? I would love to be there in the winter!......actually any time ๐Ÿ™‚

On the webcams......do you have a link? every time I try and find one it sends me to some other webcams. I`m looking for Yellowstone specific.

Thanks!
There are a number of webcams. Old Faithful and Mammoth come to mind. Easy to find with a quick Google search. As for open entrances, the North and Northeast Entrance are open year round. That being said, the only access to the Northeast entrance and the towns of Silvergate and Cooke City requires you enter the North Entrance (Gardiner, Montana) and then drive across the northern park road. You cannot get to the Northeast Entrance from any other direction since Highway 212 is closed from Cooke City going further east.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Isn`t the only open entrance at the NW side? I would love to be there in the winter!......actually any time ๐Ÿ™‚

On the webcams......do you have a link? every time I try and find one it sends me to some other webcams. I`m looking for Yellowstone specific.

Thanks!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
Actually, you can also go to Jackson and book a guided trip from Jackson to Yellowstone on snowmobile. We have done it twice, once to Canyon and once to Old Faithful. We stayed at an hotel right across the street from the company we rented from. This was a one day trip and you take a van from Jackson to the South Entrance to the Park. Get on the snowmobiles and take the guided trip. It's a great experience, but does take a while, we left Jackson around 7:00 am and got back around 8:00. Guide carried a warm lunch with him and served it to us at the turnaround spots. I don't think they take folks in to stay, just the day trips. The company we used is Jackson Hole Snowmobiles and they have prices, itineraries and times on the web site. Also, the Park service has some new rules out this year, if you have your own snowmobiles, wherein you take a test and, if you pass, you can take your own snowmobile in without the guides. Don't know how this will work as it's the first year of trying it, but it would be worth a try if you have your own snowmobiles with the newest technology.

I might also note, a winter trip is worth it. The Park is absolutely beautiful and wondrous. We had to stop a couple of times for buffalo/bison on the road and I have some pictures of a big, old bull walking by my snowmobile probably less than 10' away. What a magnificent animal!!!!
John A. Lichty

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
I also recommend going in the winter if you can. The hard part will be getting to West Yellowstone or Gardiner from where you are, especially with unpredictable weather. We did a package deal with Xanterra, the in-part concessioner, two winters ago, taking a snowcoach in to Old Faithful from "West" and staying 3 nights at Snow Lodge, then snowcoach back to "West." It was quite an adventure! Weather was mild, meaning highs were in the 20s and 30s, and we had a few snowstorms, including a blizzard the day we were leaving.

The only facilities open inside the park during the winter are Mammoth Hotel and Old Faithful Snow Lodge, plus some of the visitor centers. They are not open all winter long - at least at OF - but only from December through February. If you want to go in November or March, you will have to take a day trip in via snowmobile (in a group) from West, or drive - weather permitting - to Mammoth and Lamar Valley from north of the park. Whoever commented that you should leave the RV at home is right, though Mammoth CG inside the park may be open all winter. (However, the drive there & back that time of year across the northern tier of states is likely to be touch and go.) And it can be VERY cold; temperatures around -30 are not uncommon, and can get even colder in the center of the park.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

Ray___June
Explorer
Explorer
We've been up twice during the winter, and wouldn't hesitate to go again. Stayed in W. Yellowstone the night before and stayed in the Old Faithful Snow Lodge both times. We've been in Yellowstone over 75 times, and the two times in the winter were probably in the top 5 times we've been there.

To get to Old Faithful we rode the old Bombardier (sp?) snow coaches that were first built in the 1950's. They were noisy, drafty, uncomfortable and some of the most fun we've ever had. The tour guides that drove were very knowledegable and entertaining, and took us over areas you can't drive to or walk to during the summer.

The Snow Lodge is wonderful, with a great bar/dining area and very nice rooms. We hope to make it back there once more before we get too old to enjoy the cold, but it might be too late.

GO! if you get the chance. You'll never regret it.
Sold the house, retired, and full timing. 15 years of dreams come true!

2015 Itasca 33C, Black Garnet
2013 Honda CRV EXL toad
Roadmaster Sterling all terrain tow bar
Roadmaster Tow Shield
Roadmaster Guardian
SMI "Stay-in-Play" Brake system
ISL "Toad Charge"

realter
Explorer
Explorer
Guess I might have to find some type of tour, since neither my wife nor any of the kids seem interested. Grew up in the north, so winter driving no problem and being retired, flexible schedule. I've never used my truck camper in real cold temperatures, figured it would have to stay places with electricity, or stay in one of the lodges when inside the park.

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
Many times, I lived nearby for years. Skied, snow-shoed, snow-mobile, etc. Lots of fun for me.
If you can't handle cold and snow, and maybe more cold, don't go.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
I went, solo, a few years back. Stayed in West Yellowstone and rented a snowmobile. I had a great time. Ran the whole Yellowstone circle route, 140 miles or so, and then spent a couple more days just outside the park on groomed snowmobile trails.

The most incredible memory was riding along the road passing about a dozen buffalos. And coming round a bend to see a huge moose walking along the trail ahead of me.

The downside: I've never been so cold in my entire life, despite the full suit they provided. And it probably wasn't so wise to go alone, even though more riders happened by occasionally.

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Have you decided on how you're going to get there? And where you're going to stay? Your chances of driving from Delaware to YNP without getting into a snow storm are pretty small. On one of my trips, I got to YNP in April. The roads were clear, but there was still a fair amount of snow on the ground. And it was COLD. Its all about altitude ASL. Here's specific weather information for Yellowstone over the last 107 years, by month. It snows in them thar' hills.
People visit in the winter, but most are locals that get around on snowmobiles. YNP is 8,000 feet above sea level. Even if you don't drive out, CGs aren't going to be open and flights into West Yellowstone airport are subject to weather restrictions. I think Old Faithful Lodge remains open all winter and Mammoth CG is open all year, but water freezes at 32 everywhere.
I'm not trying to talk you out of it. Only suggesting that you do your homework before the trip and then decide.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

kcmoedoe
Explorer
Explorer
Great trip but really hard to get around. I would stay and tour a few days in West Yellowstone and then trek up to Bozeman and around the horn to the North Entrance and spend a few days there. The road from the North Entrance to the NE entrance is open year round and gives you great access to the Lamar valley which teems with animals all winter long (it is at a lower elevation than the rest of the park, meaning milder conditions for the ungulates and their lupine predators). For snowmobiling, West Yellowstone is better for the inexperienced rider, 100s of miles of groomed trails. The Northeast Entrance area (Cooke City - Silvergate)offers some of the best Alpine bowls and back country riding in the world, but it can be extremely dangerous for the inexperienced and unprepared. Several people die in avalanches each year. So it is imperative to know and respect your limitations. BTW, leave your RV home, this is an airplane and 4 wheel drive vehicle adventure

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago when my ex and I lived about 2 hours away in Idaho we went up and stayed in West Yellowstone. Rented snowmobile and rode it into old faithful. No tour. Amazing but a little chilly!

FLman2
Explorer
Explorer
Was there years ago with several people from the company I worked for. We were there in early March, and was something to see. Stayed at West Yellowstone, took a day trip to Old Faithful. The wildlife by the river was awesome.
The snow was over the roofs of most of the buildings at Old Faithful, seeing it winter was far more interesting than seeing it in the summer. Overall a trip to remember for the rest of my life. Go, you won't regret it.